John Deere 1032 Snowblower Repower (What Would You Recommend?) - Page 2 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 11-12-2019, 01:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELaw View Post
One thing I should have mentioned: neither engine is exactly perfect for this application (although both will work).

The LCT engine is a "snow engine" and thus has a primer bulb for easy starting in cold temperatures but does not have a throttle* (I added one to mine, which took some creativity). The HF engine on the other hand has a throttle, but no primer and parts aren't enclosed quite as well to keep snow out.

* I'm using the word "throttle" here to mean speed-adjustment control, not the throttle butterfly in the carb. The LCT engine unmodified runs at a constant governed speed which I think is 3600 RPM.

The listing definitely says the LCT has a manual throttle and I already emailed Small Engine Suppliers and got this photo back after they got a hold of the warehouse. I think that's what a ariens has for a "throttle" and while I read it isn't the best, it's better than a 10F start to wide open.

Personally I picked up the 1150 B&S for my old 1980 22" Tru-Test snowblower. And at the 7,200 feet of elevation it's still kind of weak in stock form. I used some parts from an adjustable main jet I picked up off ebay to make the carb main jet adjustable (stupid epa crap, I like my carbs adjustable!!) and haven't ran it since then but it should bring back a fraction of a HP I'm losing at this altitude. That's why I was looking at the LCT engine except I'd have to redesign the custom metal cover I made over the belts as the LCT is roughly 5" to crank center vs the B&S at 4". And if it was too much then I'd use it for my pressure washer as that 6.5 hp honda struggles up here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snowenginethrottle.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	158865  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 11-12-2019, 02:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by narlycharley View Post
Good morning all!

I pulled the trigger on this Briggs engine. It lined up perfectly, all I had to do was drill some mounting holes in the blower. Can't wait to use it!

20M307-0001 Briggs & Stratton - 1450 Series Snow Intek, Horizontal 3/4"x2-5/16" Shaft, Recoil & Electric Start, 3 Amp Alt, Briggs & Stratton Engine

I bought a new friction wheel for it and I plan on servicing the rear diff this coming summer.

Looks like your diff should have a grease fitting already! So pull the bottom off and get in there and grease it up before the season gets going too far and you can pull it apart in the summer.

Adding a grease fitting to my 1032D was quite a job so I'm jealous!
post #13 of 20 Old 11-12-2019, 02:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 104
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by notabiker View Post
The listing definitely says the LCT has a manual throttle and I already emailed Small Engine Suppliers and got this photo back after they got a hold of the warehouse. I think that's what a ariens has for a "throttle" and while I read it isn't the best, it's better than a 10F start to wide open.
Interesting!

They must be selling a different model now from when I bought mine. Here's a photo of mine... the red thing sticking out above the fuel-shutoff knob is my homemade throttle. It looks lousy but works well!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dscf2151sm.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	158869  

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
post #14 of 20 Old 11-12-2019, 03:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
It's just a different carb assembly and another sticker around it. Here's a video from 2016,
that should start about where you can see the throttle in action. I looked at different carbs and you'd have to get the right one and then get the knob assembly for the throttle/choke and it should be the same.

I do like your solution though! Sometimes it's more fun to do things your own way!!
post #15 of 20 Old 11-14-2019, 02:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Search amazon for this

NIMTEK New Carburetor for LCT Lauson 43201 Carb for L12D 414cc Snow Engines Snowblower Carb

You can see the black part on the choke shaft, that's the throttle.
post #16 of 20 Old 12-04-2019, 08:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 1
narly,
Have you had a chance to use the new setup yet? Just curious, I threw a rod on my 1984 JD 1032 yesterday after blowing for 7 hrs on a fresh 22 of snow and was looking to get the same engine to replace the original engine. Got a lot of good use out of the snow king though!

Thoughts,

Thanks
wldlif7
post #17 of 20 Old 12-05-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wldlif7 View Post
narly,
Have you had a chance to use the new setup yet? Just curious, I threw a rod on my 1984 JD 1032 yesterday after blowing for 7 hrs on a fresh 22 of snow and was looking to get the same engine to replace the original engine. Got a lot of good use out of the snow king though!
I have not, unfortunately. It's still at my fathers house, and he hasn't been up at my place to drop it off. I don't have a truck to haul it to my house, so I'm at the mercy of him driving up for our family Christmas. He DID try it out with some snow though, and video called me when he did it. He said that it has plenty of power. I was down there last weekend and started it up myself and it runs butter smooth. The friction wheel was chewed up, so we replaced that - now it works like new. Here are a few photos that I took when I was there. He ran into no hiccups, just needing to drill new holes for mounting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191130_120448.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	160373   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191130_120455.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	160375   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191130_120503.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	160377  
post #18 of 20 Old 12-05-2019, 10:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 93
Likes (Received): 286
Just a couple quick observation, FWIW:

You should put in the remaining wheel stud bolts.

The cutting edge is worn way crooked, so you may want to replace that, as well as check your tire pressure and axle bearings/bushings, as well as the bucket attachment alignment.

Also the skid shoes look to be needing replacement. ( I have switched mine over to poly, as well as the poly wheel version as my metal wear out, as they work real nice, (JMHO)

Also, many years ago I tried chains on a turf tire like you have there, and immediately took them off as they bounced and shook the machine waayyy to much for my liking. I have nothing but XTrac or SnowHogs on my machines, which work just great.

That is a nice beefy machine you have there.
post #19 of 20 Old 12-05-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneacer View Post
Just a couple quick observation, FWIW:

You should put in the remaining wheel stud bolts.

The cutting edge is worn way crooked, so you may want to replace that, as well as check your tire pressure and axle bearings/bushings, as well as the bucket attachment alignment.

Also the skid shoes look to be needing replacement. ( I have switched mine over to poly, as well as the poly wheel version as my metal wear out, as they work real nice, (JMHO)

Also, many years ago I tried chains on a turf tire like you have there, and immediately took them off as they bounced and shook the machine waayyy to much for my liking. I have nothing but XTrac or SnowHogs on my machines, which work just great.

That is a nice beefy machine you have there.

Thank you!!

- I believe that only three lug nuts go on each wheel, but I'll need to look at it better when it get it to confirm.

- I just noticed too that the cutting edge has uneven wear, I'll look everything over. Thanks!

- Yeah, the shoes just need to be adjusted down.

- My goal is to get snow tires for it and install them in the spring (and refinish the rusty wheels).
post #20 of 20 Old 12-05-2019, 09:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 1
Thanks narly!

I pulled the trigger on the same engine today, should get next week.

Nice unit there, my setup is pretty much identical to yours, I also have the chains and like them, but to each there own. My friction wheel is also about ready for replacement, that’ll be next.

Thanks for posting the pics! There tough old units for sure!

We got kind of smacked over Thanksgiving holiday, 22” while I was out of state, ran this too hard and pow, it just rattles in the engine now.
Looking forward to getting the Briggs on there for the next storm...

Last edited by wldlif7; 12-05-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page