LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-15-2020, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 46
Source for 1128DDE impeller?

I tried to help an elderly neighbor today with her snowblower. (The terrain between us is such that I cannot easily get my own machine over there.) She has a Deere 1128DDE, manual is copyright 2001. The engine fired right up, but when I tried to use it it threw snow all of about 3-4 feet. Seriously. Engine is roaring away perfectly, everything is spinning properly, yet there's just no force behind the snow.

Closer examination revealed that the blades on the impeller (not the auger) are incredibly bent. There's easily 0.5-1 inch clearance between the edges of every blade and the volute housing. Someone must have been blowing fist-sized rocks through this thing sometime in the past. No wonder it doesn't move snow - it's remarkable that anything comes out of the chute at all. Amazing damage.

I don't think the existing impeller can be salvaged, even the support brackets behind each blade are bent out of shape and several blade edges are literally curled back on themselves. Trying to be the nice guy, I said I'd look up a source and price for a replacement. Turns out impellers are remarkably hard to find for Deere snowblowers. The only source I found was Green-Parts-Direct. However, I'm troubled by the fact that the impeller on her machine has three blades (properly spaced at 120 degrees) while the one on the website illustration has four at 90 degrees. Her impeller also has four set screws, two on each side, while the website shows just two on one side. (It's possible that there are two non-threaded pins that pass through the entire impeller, I didn't look that close.) Based on just the blade count I'm not confident that I've found the correct part, or that the website is accurate, etc.

Questions:

1) What's a good source and price for a replacement impeller for a unit of the ~2001 vintage?

2) How many blades on the impeller for this unit?

3) How difficult a job is it to replace the impeller? I have most tools and am pretty mechanically handy, but I'm concerned that by the time I pull off the entire front auger assembly and the gearbox and the drive shafts and everything else, maybe this is one of those jobs best left to the dealer. I can't easily get it to my house, so I'd have to lug all required tools to her place... and I'd be working outside in the snow because she doesn't have a garage.

Thanks for any input as I try to help out this neighbor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-16-2020, 02:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 268
That would be an Ariens built Deere. Generally really good machines. You can probably find parts on ebay. It has been my experience that the impellers are welded to the auger transmission shaft? Maybe not.. You could get the auger out of the housing and maybe be able to bend those fins back? You'd have to separate the bucket from the drive and remove the auger fly wheel and such.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-16-2020, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Not sure about the welded impeller. This one has at least two pins through the impeller, which suggests it's pinned and not welded to the shaft.

I did look on eBay and Amazon, no luck on either. That place mentioned above is the only one I could find that listed anything.
post #4 of 19 Old 01-16-2020, 07:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 146
Thanks (Received): 325
Likes (Given): 430
Likes (Received): 780
Pictures of the machine may help. Perhaps someone identifies it as the same as an Ariens XXX, perhaps giving another source for looking up parts.

Nice of you to help her! But having to work on it outside, at her place, ugh, that makes things a lot tougher. Especially when you suddenly need a tool you didn't expect.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #5 of 19 Old 01-16-2020, 10:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 115
Too many unknowns to guess on a part......
What IS known... NOT a job for the faint of heart. I'm sure heat and pullers, maybe a press will be needed to get it apart.
DEFINITELY NOT a job to be done outside, on the ground, away from every tool you own.
Chances are, that impeller could be straightened out fairly well, with heat and a press. If not, I'm sure a used unit could be had.
But what are the chances this will happen again?? Who (Or What)did the damage in the first place?? Have those circumstances changed??

GLuck, Jay
post #6 of 19 Old 01-16-2020, 11:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 240
Likes (Received): 200
Once we have a picture of the snowblower, we can probably find you a new Ariens equivalent. However... I'd hate to be the one trying to remove an almost 20 year old impeller from the shaft outside in the snow.

Do you maybe have a machine shop nearby with a press?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 19 Old 01-16-2020, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I will go get a photo later this morning and post it.

I don't have a press, nor do I have easy access to one, but I can ask around. I presume the reason I'd need a press is because the impeller could be seized to the shaft after 20 years? Given that I can see at least two pins through it and the shaft, I don't expect that it's welded on... but rust/seizure is a definite possibility.

As for how it happened and it recurring... I asked her about that and it's her belief that a nephew was probably careless a few years ago. After she gets done paying for a new impeller I suspect she'll be more discerning about how the machine gets used!

EDIT: I've been researching how one would replace the impeller (the manual is utterly silent on that topic and unlike Ariens, I can't find JD service manuals online anywhere) and the general consensus is that you split the machine between the engine section and the auger/impeller section. This appears to reveal a pulley on the impeller shaft, on the other side of the back wall of the impeller volute. I'm hopeful removing that pulley is straightforward and doesn't require some special tool like the press-fit pulleys on power steering pumps often do. Then you pull the entire impeller/gearbox/auger assembly out the front, and you can finally access the impeller. This avoids completely disassembling the auger shaft, gearbox, etc.

Back soon with a photo - thank you to everyone that is helping me with this. Just trying to be a good neighbor to this single gal in her 80's.

Last edited by IDEngineer; 01-16-2020 at 01:28 PM.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-16-2020, 02:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 33
Likes (Received): 21
My experience with impellers is unless it's thumping inside the bucket or ripped/sheared metal you can bend them back. I've seen some tips bent all the way back opposite. However, like everyone else mentioned, not the easiest thing to work on. Pull the shear pins and see if the augers even rotate on the shaft. May be rusted and why the damage happened to begin with. My experience with those Ariens made Deeres is the bigger HP are 924 series (which is good IMO). The lower HP ones are 932 series which are a complete PIA to do trans work on compared to 924.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-16-2020, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
As promised, I now have a series of photos.

We'll start with the impeller and shaft. I've highlighted the 2? 4? pins/set screws that appear to connect it to the shaft. You can also get a partial view of the blade damage in this photo (stay tuned for a better shot).

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Eyeboltman liked this post
post #10 of 19 Old 01-16-2020, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here's a closeup of one of the blade tips. This one is curled around on itself, and you can see substantial material is actually missing. The others aren't as curled, but they are bent/cracked/rusted far more. One of the other three blades is visible at the bottom of the volute. I don't think "heat and beat" is going to save this impeller.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Eyeboltman liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page