post #1 of 7 Old 02-10-2014, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
John Deere 524 Auger Gear

Hi guys,

I've got a John Deere 524 Snow blower which ran perfectly up until yesterday. The front augers stopped spinning when I engaged them, so I took it apart and realized that one of the gears in the gear box was completely worn out.

It is p/n PT9663. It's item #8 on this page:

OEM Parts

I've searched online and called 3 JD dealerships and they say the part is obsolete and that's all the information they can give me. I can't find this part anywhere.

Does anyone have any advice besides buying a new snow blower? I don't have the money for this and everything else with this snow blower is in great condition.

I'm hoping that there is a replacement part, or someone can give me some more information on the part and I can bring it to a machine shop and have the gear made.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-10-2014, 02:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
John Deere blowers were made by several different manufacturers. Perhaps if you post some pictures of the machine someone might be able to identify it better and give you an alternate manufacturer to look into. I know some were made by Ariens and some were made by Murray.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-10-2014, 02:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 7
Well I found this information for you. You figure out your model type and it may help you out here. Judge the age and give it a go. With reservation,,,,
"deere used to build their own up until @ 1991. Then subbed out to Murray and Ariens until @ 2001. Then got out totally and let them be handled by Frontier (B&S units). Now those Frontier units are JD branded.

I know the TRS and TRX units were Murrays, and they basically ruined the reputation of JD snow machines. Those built by JD in the 70's and 80's are very good, and the later one's post-Murray are pretty good. New are fine too."
post #4 of 7 Old 02-10-2014, 02:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Is this what your snowblower looks like

If it does I hate to say it but most of everything is obsolete. I parted out one of them earlier this year and everything was sold since you can't buy most of the parts new. I would take the gear to a small engine shop that carries brass gears to see if maybe they could find one that matches it. The only other option would be to wait and see if one shows up on ebay which the do from time to time. If I remember right I think its an 80 or 90s model. I have found some simplicity that look similar but have found no connection between them.

3 Ariens 522 Single Stage
Toro 3521 Repowered with a 6.5hp
Craftsman 521 (selling)

other toys
Troybuilt Horse 70s or 80s model
Troybuilt Econo-horse
John Deere Jx75
John Deere Js46
John Deere 111

and a few other parts machines.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
I tried some on line sites like you said you did and I couldn't come up with anything either, sorry.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-12-2014, 07:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
Gear

It's hard to tell without pictures, but many machines of a particular vintage use a lot of the same parts. I'm betting that the gearcase used in that one may have been used in other make blowers. Biggest thing would be find a comparable case and look at the parts. You might have to get both the gear and the worm gear, but it's less than a new blower if yours is good otherwise.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-12-2014, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hey guys,

First...thanks for all of the responses.

So I did some more researching it it appears that this snowblower (JD 524) is very similar to an Ariens ST524.

Here is the link to the Ariens Auger Diagram

Ariens OEM Parts

It looks very similar to the John Deere 524 diagram.

I've found the Ariens replacement gear on ebay for $60 and it looks identical to the John Deere gear I need. I'm thinking that I'm going to pull the trigger and spend the $60. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page