LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 07-21-2014, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Auger drive pulley issue

I have a John Deere 1032 snowblower and I have an issue with my auger drive pulley and/or my impeller shaft. When I engage my auger, everything works, however, my auger drive pulley shifts toward the engine about 3/4" and rubs on my auger idler pulley rod (sparking metal on metal). When it is not running, there is some "play" in the whole impeller shaft as it can slide back and forth about 1". Any ideas on what is causing this, is it normal?
Thanks,
Corey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-21-2014, 02:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1106
check the bushings for slop in them. they more than likely need to be replaced. ALOHA to the forms..: cool::co ol:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 20 Old 07-21-2014, 05:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Yea, sounds like the bushings / shims that are inside the gearbox up front are worn out and allowing the movement of the impeller shaft.

As a temporary fix, you may be able to fit some washers behind the impeller to help hold it in place, however, at that point you are already half way into taking the gear box apart.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #4 of 20 Old 07-21-2014, 05:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1106
YOU might want to replace that impeller bearing to if you can feel play/slop in it.:e ek::e ek:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 20 Old 07-21-2014, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the advice. Just to confirm (I'm a novice), will I need to remove the auger pulley and the whole auger assembly (including impeller shaft to access the gearbox to investigate?
Corey
post #6 of 20 Old 07-21-2014, 08:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Yes, you must remove the front bucket from the machine, then remove the pulley, then pull the whole auger/impeller assembly out of the front of the bucket. Most times the hardest part it getting the impeller pulley off the shaft as the rust usually holds on quite well.

This guy has some gearbox rebuild videos on his youtube channel if you search. Most of them are MTD, but it is the same basic process.
https://www.youtube.com/user/donyboy73

It can be difficult to find parts for JD blowers though.

While you are taking things apart, it is a good time to pull the shear pins off as well and make sure the augers spin on their shafts and are not rusted in place as well. If you have grease nipples you can use a grease gun and then spin them around to move the grease. If you don't, then make sure you clean and grease the shafts before putting them back on.

Actually, first thing to check would be make sure the whole shaft is sliding back and forth and your issue isn't just the pulley is loose. Don't want to go through all the trouble of taking everything apart if it is not needed. Unless of course you just want the experience and to check on all the bearings and grease everything up.

Last edited by Shryp; 07-21-2014 at 08:50 PM.
post #7 of 20 Old 07-21-2014, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3831
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
Welcome to the forum

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #8 of 20 Old 07-22-2014, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for all of tips. I got the auger pulley off, but am having issues removing the "pin" that is set in the auger shaft and aligns with the ID slot on the auger pulley. It seems like it is just wedged in there, but haven't had any luck getting it out. Any tips.
Corey
post #9 of 20 Old 07-22-2014, 07:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
it is most likely a woodruff key or half moon key. Just put a screwdriver on one edge and hit it with a hammer.

post #10 of 20 Old 07-22-2014, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Sorry for all the questions. I got the "half-moon" key out and now am trying to get the whole auger unit free, unfortunately, I can't get it through the auger bushing. It slides through OK until the last couple inches and gets caught. Do I need to try to file down the impeller shaft to make it fit?
Corey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page