LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-20-2014, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
TRS-27 Auger Belt snapped AGAIN

Today I was at one of the buildings that has one of the TRS-27s. I haven't used the machine yet this year but back around January/February of this year it went into the shop due to a broken Auger belt. (happened while I was cleaning up what the snowplow left behind) I got her out, finally got her started, and she was doing ok until after about 15 minutes of clean up work, again with what the plow truck left behind on the sidewalks and around the light poles, the belt snapped. AGAIN. If the auger belt is snapping frequently what could be the causes of this? There is no smoking or burning that I can tell, it just seems to break in half and that's that. I didn't open it up completely, too cold.. not enough light. I am going to see if I can get one of the building mechanics to load it up onto a trailer and deliver it to my house for me to work on here at home. Surprisingly this particular machine doesn't have any engine/carb issues. (Has to be the only TRS-27 out of the 4 we have that doesn't) It's just been the belt for the auger and I believe it's had a belt replaced for the wheel drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-20-2014, 03:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 12
There are 3 things that I can think of off the top of my head at this ungodly hour...
-The belts that are being used are some cheap knockoff brand that uses low quality material
-The pulleys don't line up perfectly causing a stress to the belt in which it is not designed for
-The belt is too tight, whether it be the wrong size belt or the belt tensioner is adjusted to a ridiculous setting

And let's not forget that sometime it's nothing more than just bad luck.
I have had 4 tires go flat on my landscaping equipment the past week...never had a flat tire on this equipment for the past 5 years. Sometimes it's just how it is...

1972 Ariens 13/32 restored & repowered
1971 Ariens 7/24 (retired)
2011 Ariens Deluxe 24
1980 Ariens st7/24 (retired)
1985 Ariens st10/36

Last edited by SlowRider22; 11-20-2014 at 03:48 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-20-2014, 06:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
Make sure the routing is correct and it isn't getting snagged on anything. Also, make sure you using heavy duty Kevlar or Armid cord belts. Regular car belts from an auto parts store are not designed for heavy loads.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-20-2014, 08:08 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
I agree with the other guys to check all that stuff, alignment, idlers. When you get into it, grab hold of the auger pulley and wiggle it, if the bushing is egged or destroyed and the pulley has excessive play, the belts gonna wobble around too. My guess would be the auger engagement idler was adjusted all the way IN as an old belt started to slip, it broke finally and then someone just threw on a new belt and the idler is still adjusted all the way IN on a tight relatively short belt as compared to the idler setting. That auger engagement idler has a slot to adjust. See 31, 32. Also check that 29 spins nice and easy, those can freeze up or wobble. I had to replace the idler pulleys on my 826.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-20-2014, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 356
Likes (Given): 151
Likes (Received): 795
Another thing that could be a factor..the Deere TRS machines are just notoriously bad quality:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottyc...html#question3

scroll down past the Cub Cadet secton to the John Deere section.
Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-22-2014, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Thanks for the advice. I definitely know the TRS (Murrary Built) suck. Sadly my church buildings have 4 of these things that I need to make last for a few more years before they will be old enough that the church HQ will approve replacement of them. (For new Ariens! YAY!)
post #7 of 9 Old 01-24-2015, 02:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Seems like everybody runs down the TRS 27, but mine has been a workhorse for 15 years! I stepped up to this from a MTD, and the auger gears on these seem a **** of allot better than MTD. Sno-King 8hp motor on sheet metal base, can't really see why everybody runs these into the ground so much.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-24-2015, 02:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 151
Thanks (Received): 282
Likes (Given): 384
Likes (Received): 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by so2315 View Post
Seems like everybody runs down the TRS 27, but mine has been a workhorse for 15 years! I stepped up to this from a MTD, and the auger gears on these seem a **** of allot better than MTD. Sno-King 8hp motor on sheet metal base, can't really see why everybody runs these into the ground so much.
I'm not runing them into the ground but if I had to make a choice between the 2 blowers I'd have stuck with the older MTD. The older MTD machines were actually pretty good. Nothing fancy but reliable.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba that I practically had to rebuild... Windows 7 OS
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #9 of 9 Old 01-24-2015, 03:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 151
Thanks (Received): 282
Likes (Given): 384
Likes (Received): 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Thanks for the advice. I definitely know the TRS (Murrary Built) suck. Sadly my church buildings have 4 of these things that I need to make last for a few more years before they will be old enough that the church HQ will approve replacement of them. (For new Ariens! YAY!)
Maybe you want to get your deacons or whoever controls the finances to get out there early some morning and let them try using the equipment.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba that I practically had to rebuild... Windows 7 OS
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page