LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 02-03-2015, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Think there's a fix?

I don't! But I lucked out, friend had a 726 he bought cheap, and the housing's show the same part # for 526/726/826 so will swap it.

I got back into work from being out on a call, went to shovel, and thought can use the blower for this. I made it 20 feet and was like this is slick! Leaving it nice and clean, put it in 4th, went another 10 feet and CLANK, and it stopped the motor. Twisted it just like that. It's tweaked to the point the bolt for the drift cutter stopped the auger.

I'll paint this one, and swap. I was going to order the bigger skids and put them on, but for what I all put into it and did I figured I'd try it without and add them if need be. I felt awful, as looking at the heave in the sidewalk it's huge, so the whole width took the hit, not just one side.

If someone in SE MN, SW WI, or NE IA had a totally junk snowblower, I'd buy the front housing as the 726 still runs and works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0578.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	39177  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-03-2015, 09:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 159
Thanks (Received): 292
Likes (Given): 390
Likes (Received): 969
Do my eyes deceive me or is that drift cutter on the inside of the bucket and are the retainer bolts going from the outside to the inside of the bucket?

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #3 of 20 Old 02-03-2015, 10:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger08 View Post
I don't! But I lucked out, friend had a 726 he bought cheap, and the housing's show the same part # for 526/726/826 so will swap it.

I got back into work from being out on a call, went to shovel, and thought can use the blower for this. I made it 20 feet and was like this is slick! Leaving it nice and clean, put it in 4th, went another 10 feet and CLANK, and it stopped the motor. Twisted it just like that. It's tweaked to the point the bolt for the drift cutter stopped the auger.

I'll paint this one, and swap. I was going to order the bigger skids and put them on, but for what I all put into it and did I figured I'd try it without and add them if need be. I felt awful, as looking at the heave in the sidewalk it's huge, so the whole width took the hit, not just one side.

If someone in SE MN, SW WI, or NE IA had a totally junk snowblower, I'd buy the front housing as the 726 still runs and works.
The auger is hitting your drift cutter bolts. Remove the drift cutters from the inside of the bucket and they bolt up on the outside of the bucket with the flat rounded part of the bolt facing the inside of the bucket and the threads of the bolt and the retaining nut on the out side of the bucket. You may be able to pull out the twist in the bucket and still use it. Hopefully you did not damage the augers gear case.

Last edited by GustoGuy; 02-03-2015 at 11:00 PM.
post #4 of 20 Old 02-04-2015, 06:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
Wonder if the augers are seized. You would think this should have broken a shear bolt before it got that bad.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #5 of 20 Old 02-04-2015, 09:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 180
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 1716
Likes (Received): 392
if it's still twisted once you free it up, you may be able to salvage the housing by grinding off the welds, correcting the twist and rewelding.

My 824 was twisted by a mere 3/16" which translated into nearly 1/2" at the skids and made the machine a PITA to control.

After:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #6 of 20 Old 02-04-2015, 09:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
It can be repaired. Just be thankful you didn't trash the auger, gears and etc.
First thing you want to do is get that dang drift cutter out from inside the bucket. Never saw anything like it.

Joe
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
New.green shovel
post #7 of 20 Old 02-04-2015, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
Do my eyes deceive me or is that drift cutter on the inside of the bucket and are the retainer bolts going from the outside to the inside of the bucket?
Your eyes do not deceive you. I thought the same thing, but per the deere part's manual, they show the bolt going through the drift cutter and the angle in the cutter, and with that angle to pull it up to the housing it'd go inside the auger housing to me at least. So that's how it was mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 1.39.53 PM.png
Views:	83
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	39257  
post #8 of 20 Old 02-04-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The drift cutter wasn't the issue (it's maybe mounted wrong (sure??)) but it's the twist I'm after in my front blower housing.

I was just going to take the one off the 726 I bought cheap, but that one runs and works as well but has an issue with the backing up/wheel's locked I haven't looked into yet, I just unloaded it from the truck is all.

That does sound like the best plan, get it up and running for the mean time, then this summer maybe, take the one that is sprung to someone to correct it, put it back together and I can swap them back if I so choose. Never imagined that it'd happen that way, but I will be putting the bigger skids on after that episode.

In a way I was glad it caught that bolt and stopped it rather then spring it like that then keep rotating at that angle.

Thanks!!!
post #9 of 20 Old 02-04-2015, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Are you guys thinking I hit the sidewalk chunk and it maybe did take the brunt of it, but when it did it shifted enough to catch that bolt and then the auger caught it and did the damage twisting it? As in if i wouldn't of had the drift cutter it woulda been just fine?! If so I'll feel awful for the damage I incurred to it!!!

Thanks
post #10 of 20 Old 02-04-2015, 04:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger08 View Post
Your eyes do not deceive you. I thought the same thing, but per the deere part's manual, they show the bolt going through the drift cutter and the angle in the cutter, and with that angle to pull it up to the housing it'd go inside the auger housing to me at least. So that's how it was mounted.
I'm willing to say that #12 in that schematic is incorrect. That bolt should go from the inside to the nut, on the outside. And if your drift cutter is on the inside it's mounted incorrectly. At least it the only inside mount I've ever seen. I don't know it all but I know it's the first one I've seen mounted inside the bucket.

Joe
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
New.green shovel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page