LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-05-2015, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Auger Belt Tension Adjustment Seized

I have an old John Deere 726. I replaced the engine on it last year (pics here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7J...ew?usp=sharing) and had some difficulty getting a belt the right size for the auger pulleys. Finally found one and it worked great but appears to have stretched a bit and now the belt is slipping when I hit snow over an inch deep. I didn't realize initially there was even an adjustment for this belt and was stoked to find it, but I cannot for the life of me get this thing to loosen.

I put it in a tub of carb cleaner overnight to try to break any grime in the threads then today bought some PB Blaster but haven't had luck with that either. I'm using a big plumbing wrench and feel like the bar is going to snap before this thread comes loose.

You can see a picture of the piece I'm working on here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7J...ew?usp=sharing

I believe it is ball joint AM33457 and rod M83161.

Any ideas? I'm starting to think I may just need to replace it. Right now I have some Romex wire strung around it as a workaround but that is a temporary hack. I also considered cutting it down and adding a turnbuckle in the middle but wan't sure how to affix it to the bar (I don't know how to weld).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-06-2015, 01:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Welcome to the forum, I have to say right away I don't have experience with your JD model but I can help to get your piece loosened.
You need a torch (small propane one can work but better if bigger)
and a bottle of cold water, heat the piece good and once hot close the torch and quickly pour the water on the piece, then you can start with your pipe wrench and see if it budges even very slight and if so just wrench it both ways and you will see that it will move more and more. Good Luck and put some anti-seize after.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-06-2015, 06:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1200
YEAH what NORM said. ALOHA from the frozen TUNDRA.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 6 Old 02-09-2015, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the help! Apparently there was nothing that was going to loosen this connection. After torching then applying water and cranking on it I was still not able to loosen it so I tried a few more times, cranking harder each time until the last time the rod just broke. Not sure if someone put loctite in the threads at one point or what, but they are not budging. Now of to find a replacement part.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-09-2015, 11:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewispunk View Post
Thanks for the help! Apparently there was nothing that was going to loosen this connection. After torching then applying water and cranking on it I was still not able to loosen it so I tried a few more times, cranking harder each time until the last time the rod just broke. Not sure if someone put loctite in the threads at one point or what, but they are not budging. Now of to find a replacement part.
This is sad as I have never failed using that method, however was the rod much longer inside the threaded sleeve and beyond?

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-09-2015, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'm not sure how far the rod goes into the sleeve because I was not able to unscrew it, but it is a fairly long rod with a 90 bend on the opposite end. In order to keep it from slipping I put the 90 bend in my vise so it had a long length of rod that was twisting when I was turning so it was my bad for torquing that way. I just couldn't get a grip on the rod otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page