LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 11-24-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
New snowblower will not start

I am posting in the John Deere section because I bought this "Briggs and Stratton" snowblower from a John Deer dealership, and I couldn't find a briggs category on this forum. The engine is marked "1150 snow series." If this should have been posted elsewhere, I apologize in advance. Anyway, I bought this snowblower brand new last year, and I used it two or three times. ". At the end of the season, I didn't have any fueld stabilizer handy and the tank was less than 1/4 full, so I just ran the engine until the tank was dry and stored the unit in the shed.
Now this November, I was preparing the machine for the upcoming season and I cannot get it to start. The fuel I am using is good, but the engine just cranks and does not catch. The unit does not have a fuel shutoff valve that I can find. I checked the plug and it is not fouled. I also checked the safety key/switch and it is behaving correctly. I am starting the unit using the correct procedure according to the manual (the manual is 90% safety warnings and 10% helpful information). I am at a loss at this point, not to mention very irritated. Before I go to all the trouble of hauling this thing back to the dealer, does anyone know of anything else that I can check? Was running the tank dry a bad move? I can't think of how this could have damaged anything, but I am no expert, so who knows!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-24-2015, 01:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABINDY View Post
The fuel I am using is good, but the engine just cranks and does not catch. The unit does not have a fuel shutoff valve that I can find. I checked the plug and it is not fouled. I also checked the safety key/switch and it is behaving correctly. I am starting the unit using the correct procedure according to the manual (the manual is 90% safety warnings and 10% helpful information). I am at a loss at this point, not to mention very irritated. Before I go to all the trouble of hauling this thing back to the dealer, does anyone know of anything else that I can check? Was running the tank dry a bad move? I can't think of how this could have damaged anything, but I am no expert, so who knows!
I guess we have to start from the start in a logical way.
First I would remove the spark plug and leave it connected with the spark plug metal touching the metal at the edge of the spark plug hole with throttle if any at full crank it and see if you have a blue spark, doing this in a darker area helps a lot to see the spark. If yes with the spark then just before putting it back pour a bit of fresh gas in the hole then reinstall the spark plug and see when cranking it tries to start a bit.
If yes then with full choke and press the primer 3 times and crank if it doesn't start then remove spark plug and see if it is wet with gas.
If wet then it is simply flooded and blow the plug dry and crank many times without the plug in and then reinstall the plug and try to start it without adding any fuel with choke or primer. At this point you should report your findings to us and see what you need from there. Good Luck and

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-24-2015, 01:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1115
try a new plug anyway. then check to see if the wires for the kill switch are loose, gummed up. or if something ate at them during the off months. I run all my stuff dry and never had a problem. so no you did not make a boo-boo doing that 1.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 15 Old 11-24-2015, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Per instructions from Normex I was able to confirm spark. I then added some fuel into the hole, reinstalled spark plug and cranked and the engine it did fire for about a second. While I was in there, I disconnected the fuel line from the inlet on the carb, and the fuel is flowing freely to that point.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-24-2015, 02:24 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Pull your bowl nut on the carb and carefully/slowly take it off. Note whether your float drops down or not. It may be varnished in the closed (up, won't drop down) position with the needle stuck shut. If it does drop down fuel should start coming out the inlet needle hole. If that's the case, take a can of carb cleaner with the red tube and spray right up the center stalk for a few seconds. Bowl back on and try again, may be enough to get you going.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-24-2015, 02:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABINDY View Post
Per instructions from Normex I was able to confirm spark. I then added some fuel into the hole, reinstalled spark plug and cranked and the engine it did fire for about a second. While I was in there, I disconnected the fuel line from the inlet on the carb, and the fuel is flowing freely to that point.
What you can try next is with the mouth of the carb open and with some WD-40, you can crank it and spray some in the carb and it should run maybe roughly but run. I would also try to tap the carb under the bowl with the end of a screwdriver handle to try to unlock the float pin and the float itself. you can tap fairly hard. At this point we are trying these steps without having to open the carb.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-24-2015, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 332
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 750
Are you closing the choke when starting?

Scot

post #8 of 15 Old 11-24-2015, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Taking the bowl off did the trick. It was full of gas though, and the float did not seem to be stuck. But, after I put everything back together, it started after 5-10 seconds of cranking. Reassembled the cowling and then started again and ran engine for 10+ minutes with no problems. I guess I'm good to go. THANK YOU!!
Is there anything more I should be doing at the end of the season to avoid this hassle next year?
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes knu2xs liked this post
post #9 of 15 Old 11-24-2015, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
Are you closing the choke when starting?

Scot
I had it on full choke the first time I tried to start it. After that I tried it repeatedly with and without choke over a period of many hours.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-24-2015, 03:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 901
And this is why I don't run my equipment dry in the off season. I just use fresh, stabilized fuel and have never had a problem with sticking floats or needles valves, dry, shrunken gaskets or o rings.
I know I'm in the minority on here but I do whatever works for me.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page