LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-12-2013, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
John Deere 1032 - No Spark

The machine worked fine on Monday, but when I went to use it last night, it wouldn't start. Pulled the plug, and it's not getting spark.

My first thought is that the interlock switch/system is bad. Is there a way to bypass that module for troubleshooting?

Anyone have any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-12-2013, 09:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 900
Wish I could help but don't know a thing about them, or their interlock system.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #3 of 10 Old 12-12-2013, 01:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I'm not familier with the exact electrical system on your snowblower but you can look at a few things.

If the wires are all just attached to the engine and maybe a key switch located somewhere on the blower It will just be the engine and nothing else on the blower which could make things simple. If its something else as in yours has safety switches on the levers (never heard of them but never know) it can be a bit more of a challange figureing out which one is the problem.

The first thing I would do is change the spark plug.
If that does not work. than look over the entire wire system to make sure the spark is not grounding out due to a broken or frayed wire. You can then look for where the wire grounds out and unhook it. Note. Try pulling it over. If it starts than somewhere in the wire it is allowing the electric to ground out somewhere. Use safety equipment to then ground the wire out to the engine to turn it off. If it doesn't than you may still have a wire grounding or a coil or points in older engines are to blame. There are many videos on youtube showing how to check your electrical system. Usually a snowblowers is not very complicated compared to lets say a riding lawnmower.

Edit to add. If you have a points system you will need to clean and regap them. If you have a regular coil. You can check the gap and in worse case just replace the coil. I had a lawnmower engine with no spark and after going though all the tests I found out the coil was the problem.

I definitely suggest looking at youtube or if someone else chimes in to suggest how to check. That is just my way and I'm sure there are other ways to do it as well.

3 Ariens 522 Single Stage
Toro 3521 Repowered with a 6.5hp
Craftsman 521 (selling)

other toys
Troybuilt Horse 70s or 80s model
Troybuilt Econo-horse
John Deere Jx75
John Deere Js46
John Deere 111

and a few other parts machines.

Last edited by Colored Eggs; 12-12-2013 at 01:34 PM.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-13-2013, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It was a simple fix. The connection at the lever that operates the auger was not making solid contact.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-13-2013, 11:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 900
Very happy to hear a good ending. Be thankful it was only that and not anything major such as a coil assy. or something else major.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #6 of 10 Old 01-03-2014, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well, it's acting up again. Can someone walk me through troubleshooting the interlock?

I see a nut where there are 3 wires attached. Do I disconnect all 3? Or just the one coming from the mini hockey puck thing?
post #7 of 10 Old 01-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
LIONS FAN?????? There's two of us???? Hard to be one the last couple years.
Anyway, I have an 826 which is essentially the same machine. Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll copy you the owners manual for both.
I bypassed the handle flipper safety switches. I took them off and mounted the wire to the handlebar. I then put the flipper handles in the trash
The "hockey puck" under the carb area is the "safety" interlock system. Mine went in the trash also. I think you can still find it if you look hard on Escam or local JD dealer that's been around for some time, but they're like $90.
Here's the wiring diagram if you want to replace. Mine has a simple connector allowing the wires to go to ground. Keyed switch still works and the throttle position switch still works, only thing I really bypassed was the handle flippers. I can walk away from the machine running with the auger engaged. Not advised to do if you blow with kids or dogs around, but I don't.

Last edited by jtclays; 01-03-2014 at 10:13 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-06-2014, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I was able to disconnect the one wire coming from the 'hockey puck' interrupt switch and now it runs just fine. It appears that some of the sheath from one of the wires going into that puck is gone. I wonder if that's the problem, or if i need a whole new 'puck'
post #9 of 10 Old 01-06-2014, 01:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsPhan View Post
I was able to disconnect the one wire coming from the 'hockey puck' interrupt switch and now it runs just fine. It appears that some of the sheath from one of the wires going into that puck is gone. I wonder if that's the problem, or if i need a whole new 'puck'
Sounds like the wire was rubbing on the metal frame and thinking you had it turned off. You could try some electrical tape or heat shrink and see if that fixes it.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-02-2017, 09:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Dear Sir,

I require electric diagram and manual for Jakobsen SJ 1032 Surface grinding machine, Can you help if available. my email is [email protected]

Thank you,
Anil
INDIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page