post #1 of 18 Old 02-28-2016, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
1983 JD 826 Differential Question

Hi,
I recently picked up a JD 826. It appears to be in very good shape. It starts with one pull, it runs pretty well, and has very little rust. I called the dealer to get chains and gauge the age. They told me that it was a 1983 according to the SN, and that I should make sure the differential locked correctly before putting chains on the machine.

The person I spoke with at the JD dealership mentioned that he owned a few 826, and loved them. He explained that the older 826 differential were really nicely designed, and that the differential worked more like a “positraction” differential - where both wheels get power but can turn somewhat independently allowing the operator to turn the machine with ease while locked – unlike today’s machines where the locking differential literally locks and you need to skid one wheel to turn the machine.

When I tighten the differential wingnut, both wheels lock up like similar to a normal locking differential, and you have to skid one wheel to turn the machine, which is not how the dealer described it should function. Also, when the wingnut is loosened and you go to turn the machine, the wheels spin independently up to a point, and then they seem to no longer spin independently. For example, you can turn the machine about 180 degrees, after which point the wheels no longer turn independently and you have to skid the one wheel to turn the machine further.

1) Does anyone know if the differential is supposed to function as the dealer described – where both wheels get power but the machine can be turned easily
2) If so, does anyone know why what could be wrong with my machine, and what I would need to do to fix it.

Any help is much appreciated!!!

Best,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-28-2016, 09:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 279
Does the axle have a freewheel hole for the wheel quick pin to go into or does it have a large "wingnut" on one side?
http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discus...65191-0-1.html

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #3 of 18 Old 02-29-2016, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hi bad69cat,
It has a large "wingnut" on the left side wheel.
post #4 of 18 Old 02-29-2016, 02:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 250
Thanks (Received): 299
Likes (Given): 3001
Likes (Received): 555
to SBF john. In addition to bad69cats excellent link, here are links to the service manual and owners manual for your machine. Be aware that the service manual is 33 megs in size and will take a few minutes to download, but well worth having.

http://download.snowblowerguide.com/...1234-01740.pdf

Owners Manual-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jh4tugqqp...r%20Manual.pdf

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)
Toro (51984) Hand Held Blower (For the light stuff)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
post #5 of 18 Old 02-29-2016, 03:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 279
yeah, I think you will see that the wingnut is supposed to engage and dis-engage the rive system. Once they get rusted/corroded you have to try and deal with that..... or live with it.

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-29-2016, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, for the info. Do either of you know if the differential is supposed to act like a limited-slip differential when the wingnut is tightened? On my unit, when the wingnut is loosened, I can turn the machine with ease, and when it is tightened, it acts like a normal locking differential.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-29-2016, 06:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 250
Thanks (Received): 299
Likes (Given): 3001
Likes (Received): 555
I have never worked on this type blower so I have to quote the owners manual, page 6, "Turning the wing nut clockwise locks the differential, counter clockwise allows the differential to slip".

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)
Toro (51984) Hand Held Blower (For the light stuff)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-02-2016, 02:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 9
I have a 726. It works perfectly as a limited slip or pretty much fully locked or free wheel, depending on how tight the wingnut is.

Under the wingnut is a lockwasher. Under that is the large flanged nut. You should have under that a washer which looks to be a composite mat'l. I presume the function of this is to provide a means to vary the friction coefficient between the left and right axles.
Make sure this washer is in good shape and free from grease and oil. If you get to this point, don't lose (forget) the woodruff key which engages both the axle and the flanged nut.

Probably a good idea is to separate the left and right axles and clean/grease. While you're in there, disassemble the diffy and regrease.

Last edited by Old_Deere; 03-02-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, gsnod liked this post
post #9 of 18 Old 07-20-2016, 04:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Deere View Post
Make sure this washer is in good shape and free from grease and oil. If you get to this point, don't lose (forget) the woodruff key which engages both the axle and the flanged nut.

Probably a good idea is to separate the left and right axles and clean/grease. While you're in there, disassemble the diffy and regrease.
Have a new (to me) 826 I got for free.
Just pulled my diff apart...glad I did, as it was getting dry (no rust) and needing grease. And the drive shafts were getting rusty.
On top of that, the key to the left wing nut wheel was jammed and would not allow the tension to be applied to lock the wheels.
And last but not least, the axle bushings were egg shaped.
So, with new parts it's all good and ready for the first snow to fly later this year.

I'd say this needs to be done every other year to see how things look. If not, it could get ugly or expensive.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-21-2016, 11:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 263
Thanks, Kbob. Can you also post some photos? It will be helpful for me as I still have 2 1983/1984 JD826s I need to keep running for at least another 5 years before the church can replace them with new Ariens machines. Doing rust mitigation and welding work to the bucket on one of them this summer. I really hate it when people let their scraper blades go bad and ends up chewing up the bottom of the bucket. Grrrrrrr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page