LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 12-21-2016, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Pushing more than blowing?

MTD 10/28, not sure of the year but probably late 90s or early 2000s.

I'm pretty new to snow blowers so maybe this is normal.... while I'm running it, I get good distance out from the impeller (bolted on some rubber flaps to each vane) but it doesn't seem to collect the snow well into the auger? (Even at the slowest wheel speed and fairly light snow) Quite a bit just gets pushed to either side of the chute and I leave big windrows that I have to go over again.

Is this normal or is it something I can adjust? (Auger speed up or something?)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-21-2016, 07:13 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 591
Garage
read i similiar post about that issue, any chance someone had the front end of that machine apart and put the augers on the wrong sides?

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-21-2016, 07:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 567
Either that or the shearpins are missing and not pulling the snow in...
post #4 of 16 Old 12-21-2016, 07:23 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
If you look at the machine from the bad side (as it would be coming at you) you should see

////////// O \\\\\\\\\ not \\\\\\\ O ///////

Check the shear pins to see if they are in fact there. Likely not your problem, but a 2 stage in light snow needs to go fast enough to load up the bucket. Light snow and slow travel speed aren't the perfect scenario for a 2 stage. Are you sure the augers are in fact rolling forward?
May take few minutes of help from a neighbor or spouse to watch as you approach snow. Easy test is do it right into the biggest pile you have and have them watch to make sure the augers are rolling toward them (obviously at a safe distance) and that they never pause. If they are in fact ////// 0 \\\\\\ and are rolling forward toward the observer they should never pause. If they do you either have sheared impeller shaft pins, or the gear box has gone away on you.

Last edited by jtclays; 12-21-2016 at 07:32 PM.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-22-2016, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It looks like the leading edge of the blades are leaning out.... I bought it off a guy down the road and he had a few things bolted on wrong so it's possible they're switched up? I've attached a photo.

I'll have to double check whether it's rolling fwd and if it's stalling out or not. Shear pins are both fine.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-22-2016, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 762
Thats 100% the problem..the augers are backwards!
The one on the right needs to switched to the left, and the one on the left needs to be switched to the right.
then it will work correctly..

the way it is set-up now, the augers are spinning snow to the outside edges of the bucket, rather than toward the center of the bucket.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks colin.p thanked for this post
post #7 of 16 Old 12-22-2016, 02:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 292
That's funny, by the looks of it those don't look like shear bolts. Might wanna make sure those bolts are designed to shear, like a grade 2.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-22-2016, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
That's bizarre, maybe that's why they sold it lol. Next question, how do I remove the augers? I removed the shear pins (not shear pins, class 5 bolts....) and the 6 mounting bolts on either side of the auger. Looks like a couple roll pins holding the shaft to the centre of the impeller... pull one of those out and rotate it?
post #9 of 16 Old 12-22-2016, 04:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt03 View Post
It looks like the leading edge of the blades are leaning out.... I bought it off a guy down the road and he had a few things bolted on wrong so it's possible they're switched up? I've attached a photo.

I'll have to double check whether it's rolling fwd and if it's stalling out or not. Shear pins are both fine.
No wait...that's how they're configured for use in Australia, where water in the drain spins the other way!

Hehe, seriously that's a really dumb mistake whoever put them on that way.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-22-2016, 04:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 292
You need to separate the bucket from the rest of the machine. Typically 4 bolts and the two halves of the machine will fall apart.

From there the auger pulley will need to be removed. Then the impeller/auger shaft with gearbox and augers gets pulled out of the impeller bushing as an assembly.

Before you remove the assembly take a moment to check for play in the impeller bushing. It's brass and wears out. It can be real difficult to slide he shaft out of the bushing but since it's clearly been removed at least once before, it shouldn't be too bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page