LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 01-14-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 0
MTD 190 032 42" Snow Blower

I have to replace the shear pins on this snow blower (the previous owner used cotter pins for shear pins and they rolled up between the tube the augers are welded to and the auger shaft) I need to remove the complete auger assembly and I cannot get the worm shaft out because I cannot remove the bearing on the backside of it. This bearing won't slide off of the shaft because of something that looks like it might be a ring of gunk. I tried to scrape it off, but it is actually a piece of steel. Looks like it might be a shoulder. I cannot get a bearing puller behind it because of the impeller housing. Any ideas on how to remove this bearing??? I also tried to separate the worm gear housing and it must be stuck together because when I removed the bolts holding it together, I couldn't use a screw driver to separate the 2 sides from each other. If I could do this, I might be able to remove the auger shaft that way to replace the shear pins after getting the cotter pins out of the shear pin holes. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-14-2017, 03:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 50
Can u unbolt the the augershaft from bucket, take out the pins on the throwing auger and slide the whole assembly back so the bearing comes away from the back of the bucket?

-efisher-
post #3 of 20 Old 01-14-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
No, the bearing is on the other end of the worm shaft and the housing holds the bearing in place, so it won't go through the hole in the housing. The hole is actually what holds the bearing in place on the auger side of the shaft.
post #4 of 20 Old 01-14-2017, 08:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The main bearing is on the Shaft side of the bucket not the pulley side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 20 Old 01-15-2017, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
There is no pulley on this one. It has a gearbox and the bearing is between the gearbox and the impeller. The impeller bucket is between the augers and the bearing. I have to remove the bearing so the shaft will slide out of the front side of the housing.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-15-2017, 09:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
So this is an attachment.... guess i should have looked it up before... does this have a shaft coupler between the bearing and onboard mower gearbox? If there is, theres a collar behind the bucket assembly holding the bearning, (this is what i see in the parts diagram). Am i in the right neighborhood?

-efisher-
post #7 of 20 Old 01-15-2017, 10:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I also found this, does it match yours?

-efisher-
post #8 of 20 Old 01-15-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
efisher, you are correct. That is the one that I have. BUT, you will have to look at the other picture of this parts diagram to see the bearing I am referring to. It is the bearing on the backside of the impellor housing that isn't shown in the picture you input. If yuo are looking at the other parts diagram picture, after I take off the coupler, I need to remove the bearing so the shaft can be removed from the auger side of the attachment. When I get a blow-up of this shaft, it shows that the bearing surface and the coupler surfaces are smooth and the same diameter. But on mine, it has a ridge or shoulder that is actually holding the bearing from sliding off of the end of this shaft. (The bearing is loose on the shaft, but tightens up when I try to pull it off of this shoulder or ridge.) I don't know if it was manufactured this way, or if it is some kind of messup, but it is there, and I cannot remove the bearing. I tried putting a prybar behind this bearing to help push it off, but I don't want to put too much pressure on the impeller housing in case it might get bent or worse.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-15-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
For some reason I can't input that other parts diagram into one of these replies like you did, but if you do find it, the bearing is part 72 in the parts diagram.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-15-2017, 10:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like

-efisher-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page