2007 8.5hp MTD gold lighting coil rating - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-04-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 292
Hey, my Mtd has a LH318SA-156554G Tecumseh. I'm going to add led lights, but I need to figure out how many watts the lighting coil is rated for. I haven't found any cut and dry numbers so far.

The common number is an 18watt system but I haven't found anything specific to this engine.

Anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-04-2017, 07:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 83
GAfternoon dr, your correct on the wattage of that coil, as it appears to be the only alternator supplied with that engine. So, figure at 12v that would have 1.5a available. How many and what size lights do you plan to add? Is that going to be in addition to the light on there now?? Or replacements?? Thanx, Jay
post #3 of 14 Old 02-04-2017, 07:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 66
I think I have that same engine, and probably the same Alternator Coil #611104, which I am also told is 18 Watts Total.

If so, then you should have both a Red and a Yellow lead exiting the engine.

The Red is 3Amp DC for the Heated Hand Grips, and the Yellow should be 5Amp AC for the Light circuit.

I've changed my Headlight to a Multi LEDs (27) plus four sticks of Blue Running Lights for safety (about 150 LEDs total); but I have no idea how many watts I've consumes, or how many thousands of Lumens it's producing.

Last edited by Vermont007; 02-04-2017 at 07:25 PM.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-05-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It looks like my options are pretty limited. I though this Tecumseh had a bigger lighting coil. Bummer.

I found Tecumseh literature specing the 18watt coil at 6v 2000rpm and 10v 3600rpm. I haven't seen an led bulb or fixture rated for less then 10volts. I'll have to measure tomorrow and chime back in. The worst case the bulb won't last its full 50,000 hours.

I built a bridge rectifier, capacitor setup rated for 10+ amps. I might save this one for my tractor and build a new smaller setup for MTD.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-06-2017, 08:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 66
I looked up my Engine, and it's an LH318SA-156568H . . . . close but no cigar !

Still, before concluding that your Alternator is inadequate, I'd put an Multi-Meter on the leads and measure the output from each of your leads.

Do you have BOTH the YELLOW (Lights) and RED (Hand Grips) leads coming out of your engine ?
post #6 of 14 Old 02-06-2017, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Just a yellow for lights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-06-2017, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I had a chance to measure the voltage from my lighting coil on this MTD. And the disappointing results are.

5 volts at idle
7 volts at 3600rpm

Im thinking I have 3 options.

-Stick with the stock incandescent bulb
-Pop in an led bulb and see how long it lasts.
-Add a step up converter after the bridge rectifier and before the LED bulb. This is turning into a sizable investment for a little more light...On my spare snowblower. LoL

I have 30 bucks in my bridge rectifier box. Add 10 bucks for a pair of bulbs from Amazon. And another 15 bucks for a step up converter on Amazon also.

Might just scrap idea for this season. I'll wrap up my LED light project on my HSS928 and see how I feel about the lowly MTD.

Thank you for the Input from you guys.

Here's my bridge rectifier concoction. Not a bad prototype, I'd make it more compact, and size the components more specifically next time. Good learning experience though.

Last edited by drmerdp; 02-06-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #8 of 14 Old 02-07-2017, 02:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
That's quite a box you made there dr. How bright is the stock light while it's running? Does it go to full brightness at 3600 rpm and dim accordingly with rpm drop?? I would think that @7v at 3600 rpm's, that the original light is pretty dim. Are you measuring AC volts? Or DC volts at that rpm? It may be worthwhile to toss an alternator in it if it's truly that low. I have some used units that I'd be willing to send your way for the cost of shipping if need be. LMK, Jay
post #9 of 14 Old 02-07-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The light does illuminate fully at 3600 rpm, and dim as RPMs drop. And my voltage numbers are in AC.

I've seen base Tecumseh light coils being referred to as 3amp alternators, Which would make sense... 3 amps at +/- 6-7 volts is +/- 18watts.

Thank you for your offer jayzauto, but I have a feeling that the alternator is functioning properly.

I'll likely revisit this machine and do something with it eventually.

post #10 of 14 Old 02-07-2017, 01:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I just check a Tecumseh 9hp that I finished up this morning. It shows 6 [email protected] 1.1 amps at idle and at 3550rpm, it's showing 10.1 vac @ 1.8 amps, similar to yours i'd imagine. Most automotive style LED's run on 3 vdc and packaged generally with a board that will knock 12/14 vdc down to the required operating voltage. You already have the parts, why not just lay all the wiring on the floor, connect it up and wait for the smoke to come out of the wires? Sorry, I meant, see how it works with that fancy box and take some volt & amp measurements?? If the smoke comes out of the lights, send them back as defects. GLuck, J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page