I finished my Predator 212cc powered 1996 MTD 5/22 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 11-29-2012, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
I finished my Predator 212cc powered 1996 MTD 5/22

Its all finished now and I was testing it out this evening in the driveway. It has 3 very useful forward speeds now since I put in the new larger friction plate. Ironically the newer friction plate comes from a single shaft overhead valve powered 31 inch MTD snowblower. The plate costed $ 71.00 and it made all the difference in controlling the speed on the re-powered machine. It turned out to be more work than I would have liked but the money I saved over buying a new machine was well worth all the extra work. I needed to flip the gearbox and I also cut off the gear shift selector lever and I turned it over and re-welded so I new have 2 reverse and 5 forward speed. I also relabeled the snow blower so you know what gear you are in now. Her are some photo's and a You tube video. MOV007 - YouTube
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG071.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	820   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG072.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	821   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG073.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	822  
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks captret thanked for this post
Likes captret liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-29-2012, 08:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 319
ReEngined

That looks very good to me. Let us know how it works out when you get some snow to try it out on.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-29-2012, 04:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
that thing looks mint !

I'm waiting for snow too
post #4 of 15 Old 11-29-2012, 04:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
just saw your youtube video ... did you keep the stock belt cover ?
post #5 of 15 Old 11-29-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain View Post
just saw your youtube video ... did you keep the stock belt cover ?
Yes, I still have my stock belt cover. Here it is on the machine. I was even able to rig up the stock belt tensioner too for the drive belt. Unfortunately it took lots of work putting in the larger friction disk. I had to drill out the mounting hole for the friction plate hinge bracket and grind away about 1/4 of an inch of the bracket on the sides since the wider disk made contact with the bracket in its unmodified form. I like the result for I now have a real slow 1st gear and gear 2 is still usable as well for blowing the driveway. I will post a video of it blowing snow as soon as we get a snowfall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG075.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	823   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG074.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	824  
post #6 of 15 Old 02-03-2013, 12:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I am having some loss of power issues with my MTD snow blower and am thinking about doing a similar conversion.

I have some questions about your conversion:

Is it possible to reuse the old impeller pulley or doesn't it work on the new motor shaft?

What size pulleys did you end up using on the motor?

It looks like the new friction plate depth is less than the old one, I guess that is why you had to grind the hinge plate. Does the difference in depth cause any belt alignment or drive wheel contact issues?

I wonder of the hinge plate from the larger friction disk snowblower would work, it looks like it is only $20.

Dave.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-03-2013, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes, I just flipped the pulley for the impeller since it not totally flat. It has a an offset from the center line of about 3/4th of an inch and flipping it around brings the belt grove back farther so you do not have to extend your engines PTO shaft. I bought all new steel 3/4 inch pulleys to place on the engine PTO from Phoenix website. Do not use zinc caste pulleys since they are not designed for the power that your engine will put out. I used a 3 inch pulley for the auger drive and a 2 inch pulley for the friction drive. You could swap the hinge plate I guess as long as it fits your machine. I put a thick washer behind the mounting bolt on my new friction disk and I had to drill out the hole larger in the hinge plate to mount the new friction plate and since it had less depth I had to grind down the sides of the hinge plate or the friction disk would make contact. If you do not need more than 1 or 2 speeds to blow your driveway you could use the existing friction plate but it will be faster than stock. In 4th gear it dang near popped a wheelie and almost spun the tires. anything over 2nd with the stock friction plate was like a fast walk. You will also need to flip and re-weld the shift linkage our use a long bolt and drill out the pin and use washers and nuts to extend it to the point where the linkage will not make contact with the friction wheel and you also need to flip the gear box to the other side too. good luck with your swap. You will love the ease of starting and the power and snow throwing ability of the Predator 212cc vrs the Gutless Tecumseh. I do not miss messing around with the Tecumseh just to get it to start and the Predator runs so much better and makes way more power than the Tecumseh ever did even when the Tecumseh was brand new

Last edited by GustoGuy; 02-03-2013 at 01:48 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-03-2013, 03:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the response. One more question, did you use the stock motor mount holes are did you have to drill new holes?
post #9 of 15 Old 02-03-2013, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
No drilling needed. It bolted right up to the stock mounting holes. Same bolt pattern same PTO height as the Tecumseh 5hp. The biggest challenge was getting the drive to work correctly with the single shaft Predator 212cc since the Tecumseh is a 2 shaft engine and the camshaft (drive) turns in the opposite direction at 1/2 the rate as the crankshaft. Just go back on all my older posts and you will find a wealth of information on how to get rid of your underperforming Tecumseh.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Hacksaw1945, captret thanked for this post
Likes captret liked this post
post #10 of 15 Old 02-04-2013, 04:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1620
Likes (Received): 570
great job gustoguy, you put alot of work into your mtd

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page