LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-07-2017, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 0
Few questions about MTD 8/26

Was given an MTD 8/26 about a month ago and have a few questions about how to go about finding the year for one, and correcting a rust problem. I have been reading up on it and seems if I am right from the engine code it may be around a 1996 model but not exactly sure. The only major thing I can see is the rust that I want to take care of, and then doing a paint job on it to get it ready for the snow.

It has new tires as of 2015, has not been used much and started on second pull after adding gas and runs decent. Has had regular oil changes and all, just the rust and paint that I can see. Drive and augers engage with no problem. So my question is about the year so maybe I can get a manual for it, and with the rust from what I have read, cleaning with a wire brush and using rust-reformer and then repainting will sure help. Of course, I may be wrong so am open to any and all help I can get. Plus would like to know what the color to get would be and if Rust-Oleum or something else as may have time to get today or maybe tomorrow if time permits.
Thanks.... Pics included below I hope....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snow blower 1.png
Views:	150
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	110210   Click image for larger version

Name:	snow blower 2.png
Views:	65
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	110218   Click image for larger version

Name:	snow blower 3.png
Views:	78
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	110226   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1781 - 2Copy.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	699.7 KB
ID:	110242  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-07-2017, 08:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I am not sure why this was posting and waiting for approval. I approved it for you. Maybe since your account is older something got flagged on it?

I wouldn't spend a lot of time and money on it. This is not a high quality machine, but for free it makes a great start. Some paint will make it look better and should keep the snow from sticking as much. It should also keep the rust away for a couple years. These are known to have stress cracks on the back of the bucket where it bolts to the tractor. If you have issues with the belts coming off you will know why. For the paint color you can use any color you want. It is your machine now after all.

Make sure the bolts going through the augers in the front are the proper shear bolts for it. Also make sure the grease in the front gearcase it still good. You might be able to get some 00 grease from a tractor store and squeeze some into the little black plastic plug on the top.

Pull the belt cover off and give the belts a quick peek to check for any major cracking.

Flip it up and pull the bottom cover off and check the condition of the rubber drive ring in the transmission.

There should be an MTD tag on the back of it down by the wheels. That would be where the model number to look up the manual would be if it is still there.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-07-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
post #4 of 11 Old 10-07-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you for the reply Shryp. I have checked all you suggested, and all is OK. Only reason person I got it from let it go was because he got a smaller one to basically fit the type of driveway he has. He pretty much kept up on the service of it, except for the rust of course. No cracks anywhere that I can see. True on using any color that I choose, just wanted to paint it what the original color was if possible, or at least close to it.

No info on the frame anywhere.

Pamela

Last edited by Pamela; 10-07-2017 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Redo of message that got lost
post #5 of 11 Old 10-08-2017, 12:34 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
Hello Pamela

Usually the owner manuals are unimpressive and fairly generic. Any questions you have can probably be answered without it.
However, this will get you to an MTD manual that's probably close enough...

Go here: PDF Manual Web Archive

For model number enter 314-640F000
For Serial number just enter 0

That will give you access to two free pdf files, one is an engine manual and one is an owner's manual for 1994
The owner's manual may or may not match exactly what you have but you'll soon be able to tell if it's close enough.
That engine manual will include the HMSK80 engine which yours probably is
Or just get the HMSK80 manual directly here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/99...eh-Hmsk80.html

You can get much better manuals and service information for the Tecumseh engine if you nail down the exact model and serial number for the engine.
To find that information... look for etching on the top of the engine between the gas cap and the carburetor box
It will be snug up against the starter motor button or possibly even underneath it (just remove 2 screws to get underneath it)

Once you know the engine model for certain, if you ever need the service information or any engine help, post again with that model and serial number and someone will help.
Until you need to do something internal to the engine (which is hopefully never) the manuals I pointed you to above should be good enough for general information

Hope that helps
post #6 of 11 Old 10-08-2017, 12:57 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
As far as painting goes.. any color that looks "close enough" should be fine because I assume you'll not be trying to do a touch-up color-match.. you'll be painting everywhere won't you?
You could even go crazy and go for any color that takes your fancy.

Here's what HCBPH (Paul) said about his favorite primers and paints on another thread. It's pretty much what you already mentioned.
As far as paint goes, I like either Rustoleum or Farm Equipment paint in the proper color (Like A.C. Orange or Farmall Red, etc).
Most equipment is designed to sit outside so they need a good grade of paint on them.
As far as primer goes, look for something that does "Rust Encapsulation". Eastwood has some good stuff here.

And if you want to hear what a guy who sounds like a cross between a mass-murderer and Barry White does when painting his MTD... try listening to this very spooky-sounding video.. ;-)

...and here she is.. finished....all shiny smooth... to the touch.....the snow............... will gently..............blow off

Last edited by unknown1; 10-08-2017 at 01:16 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-12-2017, 11:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 17
Pamela I have had great luck with rustoleum paint that you can brush on. It gives a really durable finish.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-14-2017, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks all for the helpful info. Will be going with the Rust-Oleum, did get some of the Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-14-2017, 08:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 166
Good luck with your restoration, I am a fan of that machine the 640F (that's what mine was looks like the same machine). It was my first snowblower purchase, I bought it at Costco in 1995 for about $500. It served me well for nearly 20 years (with proper maintenance of course) before selling it on Craigslist for a very good price in the heart of the winter rust was becoming an issue. That is when MTD made a solid U.S. built machine at a good price. Please post some pics when you're done.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 11 Old 10-14-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you for the reply Cardo111. Will definitely post a few pics when done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page