I am adding a homemade impeller kit to my 1996 MTD - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 12-01-2012, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
I am adding a homemade impeller kit to my 1996 MTD

I read that a good improvement to make to a snowblower is to add an impeller kit and I seen one advertised for $30. It will really help to improve the snow throwing ability especially when the snow is wet and heavy and it greatly reduces the likelihood of clogging your chute. I decided to head over to Mill's fleet and I bought 1 foot of 3 ply Baler belt and some fender washers and some self tapping screws all for about $7.90. Here are some pictures of what I did. I first removed the chute and cleaned up some rust that was under it too. I then measured out how wide to cut the Baler belt and cut it into a 2& 3/4 inch strip. As you can see in the second photo there was at least 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch gap between the edge of the impeller paddle and the inside housing. I then cut the strips to the correct length and secured them into place. Since the Baler Belt is like a tire with the cording it should hold up real well and should really improve my snow throwing ability.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG076.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	830   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG077.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	831   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG078.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	832  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-02-2012, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 235
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Looks good. Plus, you get 4 a gallon off!

Which side of the impeller did you put those on? The front side that throws the snow, or the back side?

Hope you can do a video of it in action when you get the chance.
post #3 of 21 Old 12-02-2012, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I put the Baler belt on the front part of the impeller. I tried it out today. I shoveled togather a small pile of the rapidly melting snow left over from Thanksgiving day and it shot the wet soupy snow out 30 feet. It never shot out the wet soupy snow that well before.
post #4 of 21 Old 12-02-2012, 02:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
how come you didnt do the full width of the impeller ?

...i think i might copy you on this one
post #5 of 21 Old 12-02-2012, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I only went as far as the flat area on the impeller which is just over 2 & 1/2 inches wide. I heard that it doesn't do much additional good to do the curved area and will only increases drag on the engine. Also the baler belt is about 1/4 inch thick too and it was just easier to do it on the flat areas and the Clarence Kit named after a man named Clarence who sells a kit for $30 dollars plus 8.00 shipping says only to put it on the flat area of the impeller. It made sort of a whirring sound right after I hit the auger and ironically when I hit the wet snow the water in the snow seemed to quiet it down a lot. I heard that the belt will wear in and will seal the impeller area better so it will throw the really wet soupy snow that sort of just dribbles out when you try and blow it. It got to 47 degrees here today and what was left of the rapidly melting snow I had to pile up just to see how it throws it. I even scraped some snow off the grass too to add to the small pile. It was nearly 50 degrees yesterday too.

Last edited by GustoGuy; 12-02-2012 at 08:53 PM.
post #6 of 21 Old 12-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Do you think the self tapping screws will hold up under use, or would bolts with locking nuts on the other side be an option? It's been awhile since I read anything about that kit. What sort of fasteners do they come with?
post #7 of 21 Old 12-03-2012, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I didn't buy the Clarence kit. I did my own with Baler Belt. I see the Clarence kit uses locking nuts and bolts. I could back out the screws and replace them with a machine screw with a locking nylon ring stainless steel nut and bolt. Many on the Internet have used the self tapping screws with good luck. Have you heard of the self tapping screws failing and coming loose or falling out? It would be a fairly easy fix since all the rubber paddles are in place. I would simply remove the screws one at a time and replace with a 3/4 inch stainless steel bolt and locking nut.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Just wondered what the Clarence Kit used. I was just thinking in terms of my own personal luck with self tapping screws. I'm all for taking an idea and making it your own. Yours looks great. We have Blain's Farm and Fleet stores here in my neck of the woods. I've never really ventured into the area where baler belt would be, but I just might have to check into it now that you've inspired me to improve mine.

Still can't wait to see a video. Don't suppose there's a possibility of you taking them off, doing a "before" video, then putting them back on and doing an "after" one, is there?
post #9 of 21 Old 12-03-2012, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I would not want to see a 2&3/4 by 1 & 1/2 nch piece of baler belt leaving the chute at 100mph, so I will replace the self tapping screws with heavy duty stainless steel bolts and lock nuts, As to doing before and after once there is snow I would like it to be ready. My MTD with the underpowered Tecumseh 5hp that was known to bog a bit when hitting the deep stuff was an average snow thrower at best. I was watching a You tube video where a guy was blowing snow with a $2000 Honda snow blower and his snow discharge looked like Old Faithful compared to mine so it will be interesting to see and film a combination of a more powerful engine (predator 212cc) and the impeller kit. My neighbor has a newer 8 hp and his was throwing snow much better than mine a couple years ago when we actually got some snow. I will change over to bolts and lock nuts and I will film it and post the You tube once we get some snow.

Last edited by GustoGuy; 12-03-2012 at 08:32 AM.
post #10 of 21 Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1647
Likes (Received): 583
i purchased a kit from clarence last yaer for my craftsman but never installed it cause i haven't used that snowblower much and want to see how it works without the kit first. the kit does have bolts, nuts and a lock washers

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in