MTD Yard Machine 10HP 28" snowblower drive not engaging, machine barely moves... - Page 3 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 12-02-2017, 06:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by awbooth View Post
you are correct on everything you wrote.... however when engaging the drive lever, the rubber wheel disk does not spin the disc because the drive belt is too loose, tightening the drive cable doesn't help at all
so the belt is slipping at all the points of its travel? slipping only on the large drive pulley, the one attached to drive friction disc? slipping on the engine pulley?

ive heard of a bad pulley where the "v" in the pulley was too worn out so the belt would not grip the sides of the "v" in the pulley especially if under load no matter how tight the belt was

edit. u could spray into the "v" of the bad pulley w/what football players use to help catch the ball, stickum iirc to test it out, might only work for a minute or 2 if at all

Last edited by vinnycom; 12-02-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 12-03-2017, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I will make a video and share. The drive belt, when installed, with the motor off, should be tight. The auger belt will not be as tight as if it was the auger blades would always spin and cause potential injury.
When I install the drive belt, the tensioner and belt in the correct position, the belt is not tight at all. That is the whole problem.
The split pulley has both metal tips in tact which slides into the engine shaft no problem. It's looks to me that the tensioner is not doing anything to tighten the belt. Again, even though the belt is hooked around the lower drive disc and hooped around the upper drive pulley and around the tensioner, WHEN STARTING THE ENGINE, the drive pulley spins but the belt does not spin because it's too loose
post #23 of 27 Old 12-03-2017, 08:56 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
[quote=awbooth;1349633].
It's l
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yardmachine belts.PNG
Views:	86
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	116209   Click image for larger version

Name:	drive tensioner spring position.PNG
Views:	82
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	116217  

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 03:31 PM.
post #24 of 27 Old 12-03-2017, 09:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 148
spring in idler pulley is weak or not installed correctly.
or pivot point for bracket holding idler pulley needs lube or is binding on something.
or try a belt 1 inch shorter, goto auto parts store, bring belt w/you, ask them to measure and buy an indrustrial or farm vbelt thats 1inch shorter, not automotive vbelts.

Last edited by vinnycom; 12-03-2017 at 10:47 AM.
post #25 of 27 Old 12-03-2017, 01:07 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Alo

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 03:31 PM.
post #26 of 27 Old 12-03-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
yes, inside as you described. I got it to work, so far so good
post #27 of 27 Old 01-29-2019, 10:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Jan 2019 - I was having the exact same problem with my MTD Yard Machines Snow Blower. Drive belt good, seated correctly, friction rubber wheel making solid contact with drive flywheel. When i would engage the drive, the blower would move an inch then stop - just as you had described above.

I discovered the issue and came up with a solution. The problem was the drive idler pulley. The hole in the idler arm in which the idler pulley bolt screwed in was stripped, thus the bolt was not holding the idler pulley well, thus no real tension on the drive belt. Lucky for me I had a bolt the same diameter, only slightly longer. I disassembled the idler arm from the engine, ran the bolt through the back of the idler arm (through the stripped hole) and used two nuts to secure the pulley to the idler arm. Then re-assembled the whole assembly, and hooked the spring back over its bolt to add tension. Now the drive belt was spinning properly when the motor was on, and the snowblower now moves in all 5 gears and the 2 reverse. Great because its snowing outside right now - need it for the morning!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page