MTD Yard Machine 10HP 28" snowblower drive not engaging, machine barely moves... - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 11-24-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
MTD Yard Machine 10HP 28" snowblower drive not engaging, machine barely moves...

I have an MTD SnowBlower Yard Machine 10HP 28" cut. Model# 31AE5MLG729, Serial# 1I104B50399.
The auger belt and auger engages just fine. The drive system is another story. When putting it into to gear, any speed, it initially moves than stops, so I removed the under plate, looked at everything and looks normal. I removed the belt cover and found that the drive belt was a bit loose. I've been working on snowblowers for a while now and I can't recall a drive belt being loose. The auger belt being a bit loose is normal until you engage it. So the drive belt was on the upper shaft pulley and the lower pulley.
I attempted to adjust the the drive cable tighter but it didn't matter. I still ended up with the same result. The machine would move a bit when engaging the drive but then stops. Everytime I end up having to push it back into the garage.
What am I missing?? I ordered a new belt online just in case but why would the drive belt, which looks in good shape, be so loose?
All the springs on the drive plate are in tact. The rubber wheel/skid plate wheel for the drive looks ok too. Hope someone can help. Thank you.
Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-24-2017, 10:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 58
First, determine if it's the belt or the rubber wheel that's slipping. With the belt cover removed, see if the belt and plate are still spinning when the machine stops moving forward.

Check how well the rubber wheel presses against the plate. With the engine not running but the drive lever engaged, are you able to hold the plate steady and turn the rubber wheel by hand, making it slip? You shouldn't be able to, even with a fairly strong hand. If it's worn down or the plate has something slippery (like oil) on it, then you should clean the plate and/or replace the rubber wheel.

As for the control cable, you want to adjust its length such that at about 2/3 to 3/4 of the handle's travel the rubber wheel touches the plate, and that for the rest of the handle's travel, you're stretching the large spring that allows the handle to be go all the way.

Last edited by guyl; 11-24-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Prime liked this post
post #3 of 27 Old 11-24-2017, 12:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 148
is the drive belt always running/turning drive pulley even in neutral?
maybe belt is wrong lenth or wrong vbelt type as in width and/or depth
post #4 of 27 Old 11-24-2017, 01:08 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Loo

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 03:22 PM.
post #5 of 27 Old 11-24-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
This is great information. Very kind of you to respond so quickly. I ordered the donut skid plate disc to replace just in case. Heres the strange part, the machine starts to move a little bit as I engage the handle down, then it stops. I will have to clean the plate as recommended. I will follow up.
It might be the wrong size belt...
post #6 of 27 Old 11-24-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
There are no wheel pins on these wheels. I'll check the shaft bolt. thx!!!!
post #7 of 27 Old 11-24-2017, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
the belt is not spinning in neutral as I just learned its supposed to. When engaging the drive the belt doesn't tighten enough so you may be correct. The belt may be the wrong size...
post #8 of 27 Old 11-25-2017, 06:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Received): 44
The cable may need adjustment also. The can stretch over time.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #9 of 27 Old 12-02-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ok everyone! I received my new drive belt and found it's the identical size as the one that was in there. I also came to realize that the brake rubber wheel of the drive was engaging on the plate tightly.
So, here is the problem again for those who are interested. The drive belt doesn't spin all the time when the machine is started. It seems that the belt is too long but its not. Could it be the tensioner spring or the tensioner? I'm lost and I'm usually pretty good on wrenching on these pieces of crap...
post #10 of 27 Old 12-02-2017, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
any chance the tensioner spring is shot? the belt is too loose on the machine even though i replaced it, the only thing that snugs up the tension on the drive belt is the tensioner... could the spring be fine and the pulley is bad?? im assuming the pulley is the pulley, it may be the spring...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page