2009 MTD Gold 28Ē 357cc - A Few Modifications - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 12-13-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 291
2009 MTD Gold 28Ē 357cc - A Few Modifications

(Some copy and paste from the LED upgrade thread)

This is my first snowblower I ever bought, a christmas gift for my dad in 09. I wasn't much of a snow blower connoisseur.
But I knew i wanted a large machine with a big motor and this thing fit the bill. Ive used it more then he has over the years. Its been a good machine.

This is my little rejeuvenation project on this thing. Everything got checked and lubricated. Figured this MTD could use a little love.

2009 28" MTD Gold w/ 357cc Powermore
Factory Headlight and Heated Handgrips.
Based on numbers the lighting coil is rated 30watts or greater.

Fluke 365 Meter

Bridge Rectifier Assembly
8amp 50v full bridge rectifier
(1) 2200μF 25v capacitor

I kept it simple and small. I was shooting for a compact and clean setup.

1683 Bulb 28watt(1.02amp) @ 28V

Stock Light
Loaded --- Volts --- Amps _____ Unloaded --- Volts --- Amps
Idle --- 12.5vac --- 0.7amps _____ Idle --- 12.7vac --- n/a
Full --- 19.0vac --- 0.8amps _____ Full --- 20.0vac --- n/a

18w LED 10-32volts

-------- Volts --- Amps
Idle --- 13.9vdc --- 0.9amps
Full --- 22.3vdc --- 0.7amps

27w LED 10-32v

--------- Volts --- Amps
Idle --- 11.0vdc --- 1.8amps
Full --- 19.2vdc --- 1.5amps

I went with the 18w fixture, and omitted the factory light. Just don't need more then this one light, my parents driveway has decent lighting. Position was a tough call. I thought about the top of the auger housing but The EOD snow berm can get much taller then the bucket if its a big storm. Decided on the Factoryish spot.

I really liked the red down facing marker lights I put on my honda so I added one to the MTD. You can also see how well the rectifier box box is mounted. wedged in perfectly with just a single screw to secure in place.

Traction! My parents driveway is a little ridiculous. Itís about 70í long but a drastic hill to the top level portion. This machine can blow snow going up the hill but could use a boost. And I donít really want to install chains.

I saw a post a few weeks ago with a gentleman advocating liquid ballast in snowblower tires. Iím no stranger to filling tractor tires with washer fluid, I did it on both my lawn tractor and garden tractor. I was skeptical about how little fluid will fit in these wheels but much to my surprise I got 3.5 total gallons into them.

Wheels are 4.80 - 8 tires.

8.3lbs per gallon x 3.5 gallons = 29 lbs.

This is a very noticeable 29 pounds. And the best part is itís right where itís needed. I installed tubes in each wheel before filling.

Iíve used this contraption a few times now and itís super quick and effective for filling tires.

One thing that always bothered me was the lack of a fuel shut off. So that was next on the list. I removed the shrouding and saw the fuel line was ripe for a inline fuel valve. Iím not terrible proud of this install but it gets the job done. Itís basically a hole cut in the shroud with a fuel valve behind it and a little brace to keep it in place and from moving.

Here's the driveway in question. I must say, tracks are not a must for steep drives.

Iíll chime back in with how much of an improvement the wheel weights make.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Clutch Cargo thanked for this post
Likes cranman, Clutch Cargo, RAYAR liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-23-2017, 11:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 33
Likes (Received): 37
Thanks for all that useful information. I own 1995 vintage MTD and am contemplating buying new or probably newer so this is very helpful if I come across something of this vintage. Your fuel shut off valve install is very interesting in that it is the one thing I see missing on all Powermore engines. I've been looking for a surface or recess mount valve buy cannot find one. Can you post a sketch of the bracket you made for yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page