post #1 of 23 Old 01-01-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1632
Likes (Received): 381
Neighbor's 1989 MTD 524 319-550

Background:
I couldn't help but notice my neighbor's machine struggling during the last wet snowfall; clogged just sniffing the EOD (neither of my machines missed a beat).

NOTE: He takes his equipment to someone for basic "summerizing" maintenance.

I offered to look over the machine for him; he agreed and requested that I tune the carb as well.

Overall it's a pretty stout machine; heavy-gauge steel.

It needs a little TLC (and about $130 in parts)...pending my neighbor approving the work of course

Engine:
It has the original HS50 Tecumseh motor.
The engine does have great compression and starts easy.

The carb was overdue for a cleaning (high-speed / no-load surge; his guy crapped the bed here)

Muffler needs to be replaced and the hot-box bracket / fasteners were seized...haven't been removed in a LONG time.

Some heavy-handed priming (the needle is sealing):

Blower:
It had a flat tire and the bead seal was lost. I wrapped the tire tightly in a dog leash and slammed it with the compressor (didn't have to remove the stem core).

My original intent was to treat the impeller to some baler belt.

It became immediately obvious that the impeller bearing was shot (his guy crapped the bed here as well).

The plastic auger bearings were also shot...so I pulled the auger.

The auger rakes have a nice feature of having plastic flanges so they're not in direct contact w/ the auger shaft...no seized shaft to deal with.

On the gearbox itself, there's play in the impeller shaft bushing; the auger shaft bushings feel pretty tight.

Before I crack open this auger gearbox, are there any pitfalls (how stinky is this onion??) It looks pretty straightforward; remove the 9 bolts and separate.
Also, I don't have to remove the impeller since the pinion gear slides off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-01-2018, 12:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 151
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 527
I've never broken open an MTD that old CC....let us know how it went!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks classiccat thanked for this post
post #3 of 23 Old 01-01-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
I've never broken open an MTD that old CC....let us know how it went!
My neighbor swung by the garage and gave the go-ahead.

Most of this machine is built like a tank...with built-in obsolescence just starting to creep-in (in the form of plastic auger shaft bushings).

His main concern was with the "MTD" name... I reassured him that it will outlive us with simple preventative maintenance.

EDIT:
The gear case came-apart in 20seconds with the removal of those 9 bolts. It calls for 15oz of Shell (Lithium) EP00 grease. there was a barely enough covering the bottom of the main gear.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('80 Toro 724)

Last edited by classiccat; 01-01-2018 at 06:02 PM.
post #4 of 23 Old 01-01-2018, 06:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 33
Likes (Received): 37
Quote:
His main concern was with the "MTD" name
LOL. You're right, that thing does look pretty substantial. Looks like aftermarket skid shoes. Is the engine a single or dual shaft? if single, maybe a candidate for a Predator.

Current Machines:
2015 Ariens Deluxe 28
1995 Yard-White-Bilt (An MTD Yard Machines 8/26 with a "dashboard" and deflector control from a White Outdoor tracked blower and a longer crank handle from a Troy-Bilt)
post #5 of 23 Old 01-01-2018, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
LOL. You're right, that thing does look pretty substantial. Looks like aftermarket skid shoes. Is the engine a single or dual shaft? if single, maybe a candidate for a Predator.
Ha! We had that conversation as well. If the single-shaft / small-frame tec ever gives-up the ghost, it's a candidate for a predator repower.

EDIT: believe it or not, the skids are original.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('80 Toro 724)

post #6 of 23 Old 01-01-2018, 06:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 148
thats one big a s s gear and gearbox box

Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #7 of 23 Old 01-01-2018, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
For a "Before" reference, here's his machine around the 1m30s mark working in our last heavy storm (Stella; a full-bucket snowfall):

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('80 Toro 724)

post #8 of 23 Old 01-01-2018, 07:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 33
Likes (Received): 37
I would not have believed that those shoes are original. It also seems like a lot of machine for that 5 hp engine.

I had one of those 824s for a season, but sold it because I didn't like the controls or the deadman.

Current Machines:
2015 Ariens Deluxe 28
1995 Yard-White-Bilt (An MTD Yard Machines 8/26 with a "dashboard" and deflector control from a White Outdoor tracked blower and a longer crank handle from a Troy-Bilt)
post #9 of 23 Old 01-01-2018, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycom View Post
thats one big a s s gear and gearbox box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
I would not have believed that those shoes are original. It also seems like a lot of machine for that 5 hp engine.

I had one of those 824s for a season, but sold it because I didn't like the controls or the deadman.
8hp is perfect for a 24" bucket with a big impeller...go through anything with some horsies to spare.

A 5Hp can do the work with a clean/adjusted carb & minimal compression loss... and an operator that knows its limits.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('80 Toro 724)

post #10 of 23 Old 01-01-2018, 08:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 101
Likes (Received): 242
Like this thread, Yes those are the original skids as I have the same machine sitting in my garage with the Snow Champ name on it, Been way to cold to play in the garage as of late to get anything done on it though.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks classiccat thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page