anyone install an Arnold Light Kit 490-241-0009 ? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 01-22-2014, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
anyone install an Arnold Light Kit 490-241-0009 ?

I've seen the LED thread which is really great but I was wondering if this might get me what I need with less fiddling? I was hoping just to light up the area directly in front of the snowthrower, I don't need to light up the street.

I have a new CC 3x which comes with one of those unfortunately placed lights. I have not installed hand warmers so I should have some available electricity to work with.

The kit seems to have gotten bad reviews, but it appears that there are either bad bulbs or user error and mis-matching the kit with too much power.

anybody have experience with this light kit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-22-2014, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
I'm guessing when you say "mis-matching the kit with too much power" you actually found where it was installed and it gave dim light due to not enough power from the engine. Some engines will only run a smaller incandescent bulb and it's all they can run. When you step up to something like this headlight you are running at 55 watts and it can be dim as the engine can't produce enough electricity to run it. Or added to hand warmers you again are trying to pull more than the engine produces and you end up with a dim light and cold hands.

Do you know what the engine produces as in amps or wattage
If not, what exact MTD do you have and what are the engine numbers ??

Arnold Model #: 490-241-0009

For some lights like this there is an option for a 35 or 25 watt replacement. They can be found on Ebay or are motorcycle applications. It's usually a "H3" bulb but I don't know for sure on this headlight. That way you have the nice housing but might need to go with a less bright bulb to stay within the specs of what the engine can handle.
A 25 watt bulb would be brighter running at 25 watts than the stock 55 watt bulb would be driven at less than 55 watts.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 01-22-2014 at 07:43 PM.
post #3 of 30 Old 01-22-2014, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I don't know how much power its putting out, it's a Cub Cadet
3X 26-Inch 31AH55TA (I posted under MTD because of the lamp kit). It has a 357 engine and here's a link to the manual for the engine:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...bdc5fff4df.pdf

some of the reviews mention that bulbs blew within seconds, so I was wondering if it was a problem with some engines kicking out too much for the spec'd lamp.

http://www.amazon.com/Arnold-490-241-0009-Alternators-Discontinued-Manufacturer/product-reviews/B002DH157A
I appreciate your help
post #4 of 30 Old 01-22-2014, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
In most cases the light or whatever it is using the power has a certain resistance (ohms) and that's what limits how much power goes through the circuit. BUT . . . if the voltage does climb enough over the designed operating range then you do get more amps pushed through the circuit by that higher than designed voltage and something can pop or burn out.

Think of the power a cars starter motor pulls compared to a brake light. They both work off the same battery but the reason the starter draws more power out of the same source (battery) is lower resistance.

A snow blower is a bit different as some will put out both AC, like a house and DC like a car. It might be the AC value did exceed the bulbs operating range. That is beyond my knowledge presently as I haven't studied the exact operation of a small engines system. I only recently became aware of small engines putting out both AC and DC together. I've always worked on riding mower systems that had regulators for charging batteries so there was a regulator in the system like a car.

The manual you linked is just generic operation info. Didn't see anything on the headlight or headlight circuit.
I'll looked up the engine and it should be a 438-SUB. I can't find the specs. The headlight bulb is a 925-1629 but I can't find a picture of it or it's specs either

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 30 Old 01-22-2014, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I did find some specs on the installed lamp, it looks like the 925-1629 is a 1141

and some specs
1141 USA - incandescent - miniature lamp light bulb lamp - donsbulbs - light bulbs lamps valve valves tube tubes

so.. if the Arnold/MTD kit comes with a similarly spec'd lamp it might work?

12.8v
1.44amp
18.4watts
post #6 of 30 Old 01-22-2014, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
another thought..... if it doesn't ship with similar lamp, I could get a bayonet base and use the same 1141?

Any problem running 2 lamps at the same time, the stock lamp and the new one? I won't install hand warmers.
post #7 of 30 Old 01-22-2014, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
this is what happens you do too much searching on the net, you find somebody that turned a stator into a lamp.... it could have been a snowthrower project that went bad

I ordered one of the lamp kits, it will be interesting to see what type of lamp ships with it.
post #8 of 30 Old 01-22-2014, 09:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_ph View Post
this is what happens you do too much searching on the net, you find somebody that turned a stator into a lamp.... it could have been a snowthrower project that went bad

I ordered one of the lamp kits, it will be interesting to see what type of lamp ships with it.
Is that a slice of bread holding it up?

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #9 of 30 Old 01-22-2014, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Is that a slice of bread holding it up?
yes, they tried a gluten free version but it just wasn't as good.
post #10 of 30 Old 01-22-2014, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
I did run across the 1141 but wasn't sure if it was the crossover. I expected to see a halogen plug in rather than an "old school" bayonet base bulb. The newer machines seem to be going to the automotive fog light bulbs. They're halogen and are in the 800 series of bulbs.
Usually I do calculations at 12 volts. Some bulbs are rated at 12 some 12.4 some ....
I get technical but not that technical. So having said that the following numbers are close enough.

That stock bulb uses 1.44 amps or 18.4 watts at 12.8 volts. The bulb in the headlight kit uses almost three times as much. It's 55 watts or close to 5 amps.

The question is: does the engine produce enough power (amps or watts) to run it ??
Some only put out enough to run that 18 watt light. Some have a 36 watt / 3 amp circuit and some have more to do a headlight and hand warmers. In most cases they are newer models designed for snow blowers with hand warmers or the option to add them or they are older and the engine was shared with riding lawnmowers needing to run lights, an electric PTO and charge a battery.
You might want to ask MTD's customer service or tech assistance how much electrical power that engine puts out. That way you know for sure what you have to work with and how big or how many you can run off your engine.

The limited generating systems is why a lot of guys go to LEDs. They are other reasons but with LED's you can get more illumination, or lumens is the measurement from the same amount of power used (amps/watts). It's also a way to get light with hand warmers when you don't have the power to do both with incandescent lighting due to the load needed.

Only problem I have with LEDs is the lack of heat to keep the bulb clear of the snow settling out of the inevitable blow back you get in your face.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 01-22-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page