LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 101 Old 01-17-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 6
To all mtd owners?

20 YEARS AGO I SOLD MY WHITE(MTD) SNOWBLOWER TO A GOOD FRIEND THAT LIVES NEAR CLEVAND OHIO BY LAKE ERIE AND IT GETS PLENTY OF USE AND TO THIS DAY HE STILL HAS NOT HAD ONE ISSUE AT ALL.People like to bash MTD and that snowblower is as good as anything out there.So please let all the bashing go in one ear and out the other ear and enjoy your MTD'S
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jonnied12, Bob E, Hanky, BigL2G liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 Old 01-17-2018, 12:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 14
I think most of the bashing is with the newer MTD's made in the last few years. Mine is going into it's 23 year and while it is a little under powered with the 5hp tec it's been good to me.

1996 MTD 5/22
2016 Toro 721 QZR
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Prime, York v45 liked this post
post #3 of 101 Old 01-17-2018, 12:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 29
^^Ditto. My circa 1988 Craftsman is an MTD and is pretty solid and well built but the new MTD products are no longer built to the same spec. Not that with typical homeowner use you can't use them and keep them going but not built to last like they once were.
post #4 of 101 Old 01-17-2018, 12:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 172
Likes (Received): 28
Maybe the 20 or 30 year old ones were good machines. Most of the bashing is about the newer ones. Sears was great company in the old days. How many people will agree about the new company?
post #5 of 101 Old 01-17-2018, 01:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
I just took in trade a 2005 Yardman (MTD) with a 9 hp Tech and 26 inch bucket. This machine has had absolutely no maintence since new....not even oil change. the skids were worn out the scraper was gone, and the paint was flaking. That said, with an oil change, new scraper and skids, transmission lube and adjustment and some paint on the bucket, its ready to go back to work and looks great. 13 years of snow clearing a 50 ft by 15 ft drive in New England and no input but gas. Are they my favorite? no...but they do the job and for cheap money....that's why they sell so many.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat, CatDiesel_762, jsup liked this post
post #6 of 101 Old 01-17-2018, 01:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 317
Likes (Received): 623
They are Fairly Decent Machines, and Easy to Work on. The Weak Spot is Lack of Steel in the Auger Housing, Notably in the Shoe Area. When you Tip One into Service Position, the Weak Steel Bends. And the Auger Cables Break. I used an 8-26 for about 15 Seasons with No Problems.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes KennyW in CT, Toro-8-2-4 liked this post
post #7 of 101 Old 01-17-2018, 01:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
There's nothing wrong with MTD, new, old, or otherwise. Yeah, the metal is a little thinner, maybe they use sleeve instead of ball bearings on the auger, whatever, but for the money, they do what they have to do for the money people will pay. You can pick up a brand new MTD for $600. Try to get a used (fill in the blank with favorite brand) for that.

It's like anything else in life, clothes, cars, tools, whatever, having what is considered a "status symbol" makes people feel better about themselves. It's alright, it does get annoying when it gets to a religious pitch. I like to needle those people, it's fun.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Toro-8-2-4 liked this post
post #8 of 101 Old 01-17-2018, 02:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 5
Is Murray MTD?
post #9 of 101 Old 01-17-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 6
Yes

Yes it is

(Moderator edit: no it isnt. see post #12 and #14. - Scot)

Last edited by sscotsman; 01-19-2018 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Correction added.
post #10 of 101 Old 01-17-2018, 02:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsup View Post
There's nothing wrong with MTD, new, old, or otherwise. Yeah, the metal is a little thinner, maybe they use sleeve instead of ball bearings on the auger, whatever, but for the money, they do what they have to do for the money people will pay. You can pick up a brand new MTD for $600. Try to get a used (fill in the blank with favorite brand) for that.

It's like anything else in life, clothes, cars, tools, whatever, having what is considered a "status symbol" makes people feel better about themselves. It's alright, it does get annoying when it gets to a religious pitch. I like to needle those people, it's fun.
I hear you, the extent that some are so emotionally invested in their brand is surprising. To the point that they will make personal attcks and contradict their own prior posts to defend the label. Thankfully it's only one or two I could say I've seen (really one) in my limited time here and all in all it's great to have the knowledge base here.

And I agree about MTD but only to a point. My MTD (Troy Bilt) Lawn Tractor/Mower runs and cuts pretty good and has some cool looking plastic cladding and big tires to make it look beefy and tough but things they will expect plastic to do is unbelievable.

The metal is thin and the design is sometimes downright awful. Ex. the blade brakes are almost new on one side because the pad doesn't actually hit the braking surface. Never could and never will because it can't be adjusted. So it's slowly grinding the metal. Now I turn the rpms down as low as possible before disengaging the blades to minimize the damage but sheesh. I could go on.

So it's not for status that I generally avoid the brand for new purchases. And they sell all kinds of snow blades and other attachments that the little CVT trans and trans axle could never withstand.

But you're right they have their place. Anyways rant over. They do make for good stream of curbside finds if you can do you're own repairs and maybe a little re-engineering. Ask my backpack blower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in