Electric start on Tecumseh HMSK 80-110 not engaging - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-22-2018, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Electric start on Tecumseh HMSK 80-110 not engaging

The 3rd time that I used the 110V electric start on my MTD snowblower, it failed to engage the flywheel. No grinding or scary noise, it just whirled without engaging. This was about 6 years ago, but since it was so easy to start with the rope, I just never bothered to fix it. NOW, medical issues make it necessary to get this repaired. The Technician's Handbook reads:
A strong magnetic force is produced by the electrical current
running through the armature windings. The armature magnetism repels the magnetism produced by the permanent field magnets of the electric starter. The repelling magnetic forces cause the armature to rotate, moving the drive pinion laterally on the splined armature shaft, meshing the starter pinion gear with the flywheel ring gear.
This "repelling magnetic forces" is perhaps the problem and not that the teeth are stripped from the starter pinion gear.
Can this starter be repaired or should I just replace it?
thanks for any suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-22-2018, 01:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I would look through these videos and then dismount the starter from your engine.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...cumseh+starter

The most likely cause is dirt / grease and rust on the shaft for the starter gear. Once it binds up it will no longer pop out to engage the flywheel. You will just need to clean it and oil it. The electrical and magnetic stuff is just to spin the starter. The gear actually pops out from centrifugal force and a small spring returns it.

Another possibility is the plastic gear itself has been damaged and will need replaced. Replacement gears can be had for around $10-$15.

This video here will show how they work.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.

Last edited by Shryp; 01-22-2018 at 01:22 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Jimea thanked for this post
Likes classiccat, jonnied12, RedOctobyr, Grunt liked this post
post #3 of 18 Old 01-22-2018, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks

Wow, I should have pursued this years ago. Will get this starter removed and serviced just as soon as it warms up a bit.
Thanks ever so much
Jim
post #4 of 18 Old 01-22-2018, 09:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Received): 49
I had alot of the Tecumseh 5hp starter gears stick. I usually take it off and plug it in and shoot some WD40 on the shaft, to clean and free up. And then put some Slyde Glyde on the shaft and the spiral teeth, to keep it freed up.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #5 of 18 Old 01-22-2018, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
to SBF Jimea

Besides "us" here on SBF you can also use youtube to your advantage in researching your machines issues. Donnyboy73 has a channel with everything you ever wanted to know about small engine equipment, one of the best !

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #6 of 18 Old 01-23-2018, 04:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 92
Likes (Received): 38
Garage
JIMEA------ I have a working 110v starter, that came off a MTD built, with a 8 hp Tecumseh motor.

In the Kitchener area, if you are interested.......
post #7 of 18 Old 02-01-2018, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Wow, was I ever WRONG in my initial post. This machine is 14 years old, not 6 or 7. The gear teeth on the starter are toast, and the starter no longer runs - it is Dead.
So, I looked at a lot of the suggested videos and they are Great. I removed the starter and found out is was toast and ordered a "new" aftermarket starter on Ebay. I was elated when the starter arrived and looked Exactly like the original.
BUT when I tried to install it would not slide under the top bracket screws. It just wouldn't get close enough to the engine to slide up under the bolts. When I compare the brackets on the original and the "new" starter, they are spaced exactly and as best that I can eyeball, the bend around the starters the same - but hard to tell if they are EXACT.
The OEM starter is a 37000 which supersedes forward to a 5898N (as nearly as I can determine) and the 5898N is the model of the replacement, and appears to be nearly an exact copy. Except the shaft with the rubber boot, on the new one appears to be a little thinner, but the lengths are the same (pic attached) and the gear diameter is the same.
When I look at Reviews of this replacement starter at Amazon, there are several that complain about not being able to install the new starter because it wouldn't fit. A couple of the reviews said they finally solved the problem by bending the bracket on the starter or changing the upper mounting bolts on the engine, but nothing that made sense to me. One guy mentioned removing the fuel tank to get it to fit.
The orginal starter slips easily into place, but NOT the replacement.
I am at a loss to understand the problem but thought I ask here if anyone might have a suggestion before I suffer return freight & possible restocking charges and still end up without a working starter.
Thanks for any thoughts.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180130_132000.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	129642   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180130_131555.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	129650   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180130_125519.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	129658  
post #8 of 18 Old 02-01-2018, 03:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
1st test starter b4 installing, yes it can be done but it is scary when doing it the first time when not bolted down, hold it tight or give it plenty of room for movement preferably on ground on plywood.

ur going to have to figure out why it doesnt fit visually, its hitting something or not lining up, determine what that is. my guess is the bracket for the hold down bolts are at a slightly different angle but that should be visible when trying to determine why its not fitting in.
new one looks slightly smaller btw.

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vinnycom; 02-01-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #9 of 18 Old 02-01-2018, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, and I HAVE bench tested the new starter and it runs - LOTS of torque!
You write, "my guess is the bracket for the hold down bolts are at a slightly different angle" - probably correct but I just can not SEE the difference and can't see Where it is hitting something. May need to pull the fuel tank to get a better view.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-01-2018, 05:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 98
Thanks (Received): 155
Likes (Given): 308
Likes (Received): 618
Remove the Fuel Tank for Better Access. Then Remove the 2 Top "Shoulder Bolts". The Starter Should Slide Right in. Then Replace the 2 Top Bolts with the Starter in Place. Then Replace the lower Bolts, Fuel Tank. and Switch screws. Done! You Should Use Locktite on the Bolts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page