post #1 of 5 Old 10-14-2018, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
8.5hp LH318SA alternator swap

Hi Everyone

I have a 2006 or 2007 White Outdoor snowblower with a 8.5hp LH318SA Tecumseh motor on it. The unit has the regular AC alternator which I think is the 18 watt version (just one yellow wire), which powers the factory light. I have installed the MTD heated grip kit and didn't notice my unit does't have the D.C voltage alternator I need to power the grips.

So question is, can I just remove the flywheel and buy a Tecumseh 611104 AC/DC alternator and bolt it on with the stock flywheel ?

Thanks for any advice !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-15-2018, 06:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 202
The grips should not care whether they get AC or DC - it is just a resistance load. What is more likely that your alternator does not put out enough power to run both the light and the heated grips. I got around that by installing switched so that I can run either the light or the grips at full power, or when they both are running, then they both operate at about 1/2 power.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-15-2018, 09:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 95
Thanks (Received): 148
Likes (Given): 280
Likes (Received): 590
You'll need the Flywheel with 6 magnets instead of 3. I can't remember if the alternator is different.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-15-2018, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
The stator on your engine is only rated for 18 watts so it's only going to run the headlight or the heaters but not both at the same time. It might even be a little shy of what just the heaters need as some require 30-40 watts for the pair.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-15-2018, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
thanks everyone. I was looking at my dad's Yardman with the 10hp Snowking Tecumseh and looks like his has the dual AC/DC alternator with the yellow and red wires. The DC goes to the handwarmer and the AC side goes to the lights. I guess my only choice now is see if i can figure out what flywheel i have now then swap it out with a different one maybe off a 10hp along with the alternator.

EDIT: Looks like my LH318SA has the 611093 Flywheel and 611111 (18 watt) coil....I wonder if i could get away with just swapping the alternator with a 611104 Alternator and keep the same flywheel, or do i have to go to the 611094 five magnet flywheel....hmm

Last edited by BMoney80; 10-15-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page