post #1 of 17 Old 10-24-2018, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
MTD Cracked Housing - Ideas?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and looking for advice on what to do with my MTD that has cracks on both sides of the transmission housing plate/connection to auger. I first noticed the cracks after a big snow last year and the auger belts came off. I noticed that there was some play in that joint given the metal fatigue. Is it too far gone or could a welder work some magic? I appreciate your insight on the best next steps.

Thanks,
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-24-2018, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here are pics of the cracks

MTD Cracked Housing - Ideas?-img_4942.jpg

MTD Cracked Housing - Ideas?-img_4944-1-.jpg

MTD Cracked Housing - Ideas?-img_4941.jpg

MTD Cracked Housing - Ideas?-img_4943.jpg
post #3 of 17 Old 10-24-2018, 05:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 236
Thanks (Received): 274
Likes (Given): 2767
Likes (Received): 500
Hello and welcome to SBF, Paul. Here is a link showing our favorite small engine repairman making repairs to a machine like yours.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 421-QZE (38585) 2008

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #4 of 17 Old 10-24-2018, 05:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 68
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 97
Likes (Received): 110
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and looking for advice on what to do with my MTD that has cracks on both sides of the transmission housing plate/connection to auger. I first noticed the cracks after a big snow last year and the auger belts came off. I noticed that there was some play in that joint given the metal fatigue. Is it too far gone or could a welder work some magic? I appreciate your insight on the best next steps.

Thanks,
Paul

It's certainly worth a try. I would think that anytime there is a crack, there will be flex in the machine, and bad things will happen. You can probably find a guy with a welder for a cheap price, slip him some cash, and try it out. It's the cheapest repair for sure.

Life is short, so if you don't have the strength to laugh at yourself,
call me.....I'll laugh at you!
2014 Ariens Deluxe 28 with 291 CC Engine
2011 John Deere JS36 Self Propelled Mower
Too many Craftsman Mechanic/Yard tools to mention
post #5 of 17 Old 10-24-2018, 06:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 404
Garage
That's easy to weld, a backyard welder could fix that with MIG or Arc welder. Don't sweat it.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #6 of 17 Old 10-24-2018, 07:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 148
i would take this time to learn how to weld. buy a used welder or a harbour freight unit, lots of vids on how to weld. once u learn it will come in handy to a diy kind of guy.
should be taken care of sooner rather than later as those kind of cracks will normally throw the machine out of pulley/belt alignment. crack will grow over time depending on use.

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vinnycom; 10-24-2018 at 07:16 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 10-24-2018, 07:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 151
that should be an easy fix with a welder. just make sure you drill out the end of the crack to end the crack so it cannot continue in the future.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks micah68kj thanked for this post
Likes micah68kj liked this post
post #8 of 17 Old 10-24-2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the very prompt responses to my inquiry. I appreciate it. I've contacted a neighborhood welder/metal fabricator and he said he's interested in taking a look at it. Do you think I should split the machine (disconnect the auger housing area from transmission) before bringing it to him, or should I just haul the whole thing over there?
post #9 of 17 Old 10-24-2018, 09:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks for the very prompt responses to my inquiry. I appreciate it. I've contacted a neighborhood welder/metal fabricator and he said he's interested in taking a look at it. Do you think I should split the machine (disconnect the auger housing area from transmission) before bringing it to him, or should I just haul the whole thing over there?
take it apart but bring both, so he can see how they mate up, easier for u and him

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #10 of 17 Old 10-24-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycom View Post
i would take this time to learn how to weld. buy a used welder or a harbour freight unit, lots of vids on how to weld. once u learn it will come in handy to a diy kind of guy.
should be taken care of sooner rather than later as those kind of cracks will normally throw the machine out of pulley/belt alignment. crack will grow over time depending on use.
I really wish I could take this opportunity to learn how to weld, but I had a cardiac arrest at age 34 a few years ago and now have an implanted pacemaker/defibrillator in my chest. I'm not able to get near intense electrical/magnetic fields because they can interfere with the function of the device.

Hey, I'm just glad to be alive. I'm happy to let someone else take care of my welding needs
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, gibbs296 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page