LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-29-2018, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
MTD Auger Belts

I have a MTD E665E (model number 31AE665E118) and I'm having trouble with the auger belts. I've replaced them before without too much trouble, but they're giving me fits this time.

One of the two belts keeps slipping off the auger pulley even though everything seems to be aligned. The belt cover serves as a belt guide, so I did reinstall it, although I did not reinstall the frame cover.

I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

1. Did I buy the wrong belts?

The manual says 754-0430A. I ordered them through Amazon and received 954-0430B instead. Looking on the web, those appear to be the same thing, but ....

I can't read the part number on the old belts or compare them for size (one of the old belts broke and wrapped around the other one -- they're both pretty well shredded).

2. Is there an adjustment I can make?

The idler pulley seems to be OK -- there's not much slack, and only one of the two belts slips off.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-29-2018, 03:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 95
Thanks (Received): 148
Likes (Given): 278
Likes (Received): 582
The Adjustment is in the Cable. On the older units, the cable is threaded underneath the Hand Control, which can be tightened. On the Newer units, the wheeled pulley near the recoil is the adjustment.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-27-2019, 12:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
its funny i have the same problem!!!!!

after 2-3 hours of use one will slip and sometimes take the other one with it if i am not quick enough to release the lever!

my auger housing isnt cracked... pulleys are all aligned.......i tried a new cable aswell... nothing works...

she is now on the third set of belt this winter and i am pretty much done with it and keeping her as a spare..... looking to buy a used honda atm from a friend :S
post #4 of 5 Old 05-04-2019, 08:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 31
Likes (Received): 37
That particular model uses multi-piece sheaves and it could be that the assembly is loose, or one or more of the disks are worn. You may want to inspect and consider replacing.

Current Machines:
2015 Ariens Deluxe 28
1995 Yard-White-Bilt (An MTD Yard Machines 8/26 with a "dashboard" and deflector control from a White Outdoor tracked blower and a longer crank handle from a Troy-Bilt)
post #5 of 5 Old 05-09-2019, 06:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 42
Likes (Received): 43
The cables could be stretched also and need replacement. The idler provides some tension to keep the belt on, for the auger.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in