Stanley Black & Decker to buy 20% of MTD - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-01-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
Stanley Black & Decker to buy 20% of MTD

I just learned of this agreement between tool giant Stanley Black & Decker (SBD) and MTD.

In early 2019 SBD will buy 20% of MTD and will have an option to purchase the other 80% in 2021.

SBD already owns the Craftsman brand as well as owns a huge world wide market share of hand and power tools. This is their attempt to move significantly in to the ODPE market. This move could help MTD develop electric products faster as SBD has been in that area for some time.

Interesting!

https://www.crainscleveland.com/manu...ains-cut-above

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 132619 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-01-2019, 11:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 109
Seems like Monopolize to me. Mtd will probably truly become a disposable product sold at only big box. Own the machine and tooling, what could go wrong there. $600 snowblower, buy $pecial tool to service your machine or go buy another one. Yes guys like us can probably find a way to service it, but average home owner probably won't stand a chance of even changing a belt on a piece of equipment. If they go strong with electric it will be a of buy a new power source at said price or a bundle pack at close to the said price and send the rest to the landfill. Time will tell.

74 Ariens 832
8? FMC Bolens 824
02 White 4x4 Snow Boss
90 Lawn Boy ST320
88 Honda 300FW w/plow
post #3 of 6 Old 01-01-2019, 12:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Stanley can greatly improve the quality of MTD and give a better product for less money. SBD owns a lot of product lables, cited here: https://www.stanleyblackanddecker.com/our-businesses/our-brands

Mac Tools, Bostich, Dewalt, Irwin. Look at their industrial segment, and security segment. They can do the electronics, and the physical structure.

A lot of high quality stuff there. Can only help. I don't see a down side. They have the resources, the talent, and the facilities to do some damage in the market. I hope they can, more competition is better, not worse.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-01-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
I see it having the potential for more upside than down side. This is a new market for them and I am sure they are very serious. They have a deep engineering staff and have been working on Li-Ion battery technology for a while. It would be up to them and MTD.....If MTD screws up in the next two years they can walk away or negotiate a new deal. If they do relatively well, I would expect them to purchase all of it and grow the business. The relationship offers MTD the opportunity to make everything from entry level to high end equipment.

As jsup implied they, currently have every thing from entry level to high end professional grade products in their portfolio now.

With Toro, Ariens, Honda and Husqvarna around it is not a monopoly in ODPE. However, it looks like they are working on being a monopoly in the hand tool market.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator
post #5 of 6 Old 01-01-2019, 01:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 404
Garage
B&D is a crappy company. Lifetime tools are no longer lifetime, only lifetime for material failure from manufacturing, not wear anymore for Stanley, Proto, MAC, where once it was. However they have not made this change for Craftsman tools yet, YET! I try to avoid buying B&D tools. Plus you have to pay for return shipping for them to look at it and no guarantee they will cover it! Why should they? They have to pay for the new tool and pay for shipping, with some items, you have to send them an inspection fee. I'm currently buying Ridgid and Husky where I can.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 132619 liked this post
post #6 of 6 Old 01-01-2019, 02:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Given): 411
Likes (Received): 115
Husqvarna is also another large group, they own a bunch of OPE brands , several of which are low level entry throw away brands

to quote
(Husqvarna owns several brands:[6]

Husqvarna
Gardena
McCulloch
PoulanPro
WeedEater
Flymo
Jonsered
Klippo
Diamant Boart
RedMax
HTC
Over the years, Husqvarna has manufactured products for retailers, including Sears. Most of these products have a model number that begins with "917".)
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Toro-8-2-4 thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in