LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Unread 12-27-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 2
When did MTD go downhill?

Looks like there are several posts on the poor quality of MTD. Would not disagree that this seems to be the state of play for 2019/2020.

However, when did this drop off? I have a 2005 MTD (31AS6FEF729) and this has performed well over the years.

Anyone else have these units? Have you had similar experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Unread 12-27-2019, 01:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 119
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 401
In my opinion, any unit, regardless of brand or price, can easily go downhill in the wrong hands.

I know people that have generic or main stream brands that run great for many, many years … why, because they take care of them and properly maintain them.

I have seen others destroy units, any brand, by not taking care of them.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Dag Johnsen, detdrbuzzard, barney liked this post
post #3 of 35 Unread 12-27-2019, 02:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 79
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 89
Interesting question. I have only had operational experience with one, a mid-90s large frame 8/26, but have observed the general trend away from what I would call "robust manufacturing" from that point forward. Maybe it started before that, I really cannot say for sure. What I saw when looking at their offerings over the years was for example a 199X model would have three fasteners on a given component, and a year or two later the same component would have two. Another component might have been metal and then the next year be plastic. All to appease the price-point gods. Generally speaking, my machine was a reasonably good performer (and this goes back to expectations & technique) and easy to work on. However, it had a couple of flaws:

1. The design of the flange where the transmission housing mates to the auger housing created a stress-riser at the top corner which over time will eventually crack. Despite this being acknowledged and described on this and may other forums, it has never been addressed.

2. This is of course isn't limited to MTD, but the lack of an overhead support for the auger gearbox is the greatest indication of accountants overruling engineers in order to meet the aforementioned price point.

In my opinion, what really cheapened MTD was their strategy of selling essentially the same snowblower with just differences in colors and feature sets and calling it a Cub, Yard-Man, Troy-Bilt, Yard Machines, White Outdoor, Ranch King, MTD Gold etc. etc. etc. This was disastrous for GM and equally as bad for MTD.

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28
Previous Machines:
1995 Yard-White-Bilt 8/26 Frankenblower
1980 Toro 826
1981 Toro 3521
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes kimber, Kiss4aFrog, detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #4 of 35 Unread 12-27-2019, 02:17 PM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 103
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 677
When did MTD go downhill? When was it ever uphill?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
''Never drive faster than your guardian ANGEL can fly''
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #5 of 35 Unread 12-27-2019, 02:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 79
Thanks (Received): 193
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 691
One thing I'll say for MTD...as cheap as they are built.....parts are plentiful and cheap....very easy to work on....my customers will take an MTD over Ariens or toro, 7 out of 10 times....they are shinier.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #6 of 35 Unread 12-27-2019, 03:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 37
Likes (Received): 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
Interesting question. I have only had operational experience with one, a mid-90s large frame 8/26, but have observed the general trend away from what I would call "robust manufacturing" from that point forward. Maybe it started before that, I really cannot say for sure. What I saw when looking at their offerings over the years was for example a 199X model would have three fasteners on a given component, and a year or two later the same component would have two. Another component might have been metal and then the next year be plastic. All to appease the price-point gods. Generally speaking, my machine was a reasonably good performer (and this goes back to expectations & technique) and easy to work on. However, it had a couple of flaws:

1. The design of the flange where the transmission housing mates to the auger housing created a stress-riser at the top corner which over time will eventually crack. Despite this being acknowledged and described on this and may other forums, it has never been addressed.

2. This is of course isn't limited to MTD, but the lack of an overhead support for the auger gearbox is the greatest indication of accountants overruling engineers in order to meet the aforementioned price point.

In my opinion, what really cheapened MTD was their strategy of selling essentially the same snowblower with just differences in colors and feature sets and calling it a Cub, Yard-Man, Troy-Bilt, Yard Machines, White Outdoor, Ranch King, MTD Gold etc. etc. etc. This was disastrous for GM and equally as bad for MTD.
I have one from the same era, 8hp Tecumseh on a 26" bucket, it still starts first pull and has served me well over the years, given to me by my Dad, it still blows great but will not blow slush! I've used it 10 years and only replaced belts but have never broken a shear pin,not the best machine but it owes me nothing.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks micah68kj, Clutch Cargo thanked for this post
Likes micah68kj, Clutch Cargo, detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #7 of 35 Unread 12-27-2019, 04:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 166
Thanks (Received): 297
Likes (Given): 400
Likes (Received): 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
When did MTD go downhill? When was it ever uphill?

At one point in time, many years ago, MTD had many good products. They were always basic but they were good quality. I know. We owned some MTD stuff from back in the day. All good stuff.

The very first snowblower I owned was a 1994 MTD 826. I worked it hard for many years (17) and it never failed to start or to do what I asked of it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another MTD product if they were still made like they used to be made. Unfortunately many once good, solid brands are now pretty much scrap. I could name names but I don't wish to start a war.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes penna stogey, detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #8 of 35 Unread 12-27-2019, 04:24 PM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 103
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
At one point in time, many years ago, MTD had many good products. They were always basic but they were good quality. I know. We owned some MTD stuff from back in the day. All good stuff.

The very first snowblower I owned was a 1994 MTD 826. I worked it hard for many years (17) and it never failed to start or to do what I asked of it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another MTD product if they were still made like they used to be made. Unfortunately many once good, solid brands are now pretty much scrap. I could name names but I don't wish to start a war.
You were lucky, my last lawn tractor was an MTD, what a piece of crap from day one. Boy did I ever regret that move. I tried as hard as I could to keep as long as I could but after 10 years of maybe 20 outings per summer I had to give up on it. The Briggs & Stratton 18 twin was still working like a charm but that wasn't built by MTD. I replaced and re-enforced and modified everything on that MTD and it was still falling apart somewhere else. I gave up. My Husqvarna it's only weakness was the steering linkages.

''Never drive faster than your guardian ANGEL can fly''
post #9 of 35 Unread 12-27-2019, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 376
Likes (Given): 169
Likes (Received): 856
I believe a lot of things went down in quality with "the rise of the Big Box stores".
MTD was decent quality through the 70's and 80's, and the downhill slide began in the 90's as Big Boxes took over the world..
Home Depot and Lowes helped, but Walmart is the biggest player..customers now demand everything be as low cost as possible..
most of the time to get lower cost, you have to get lower quality as well.

You can now buy a new 2-stage snowblower at Walmart for $400.. and its absolute junk.
In 1970, Ariens least expensive snowblower would be the equivalent of $1,500 today..
and the high price, then, reflected the high quality you got.

You couldn't buy a snowblower as cheap and junky as a modern $400 snowblower in 1970, they didn't exist.

Scot

Last edited by sscotsman; 12-27-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Clutch Cargo thanked for this post
Likes Clutch Cargo, detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #10 of 35 Unread 12-27-2019, 04:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I have an MTD/Sears 24" snowblower. The LCT motor quit this Fall. I realized it was purchased by me in 2005 so I got 14 years out of it. Replaced belts several times and a bearing. While I was installing a Predator engine I replaced 2 bearings on the friction wheel shaft. I feel it has has been a good value. I also have a Kubota G4200 lawn tractor that I purchased in 1987. Few minor repairs on tractor and more so on the deck, but not a lot. I have also been told many decks look like swiss cheese and replacements are no longer available. Maybe maintenance and grease and oil are a big factor in equipment life and perceived value.
Herb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in