How well do composite skids hold up compared to stock metal ones? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 03-19-2013, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
How well do composite skids hold up compared to stock metal ones?

I have only had to replace my skids a few times before in the 17 years I have owned my 1996 MTD 5/22. I love the new Predator 212cc engine for it starts in 1 pull and it tosses the snow better than the Tecumseh ever did but here is a strange new twist. This year I replaced my scraper plate and bought one new MTD steel slide skid off of Amazon.com and painted the other. I looked at my skid shoes and they are almost totally worn out now. I can bend the metal at the base of the skid now with my bare hand. I remember getting at least 2 to 3 years out of a set of skids before I had to replace them. Do the composite skids hold up and last that much longer than the stock steel ones? I have to admit that I sure enjoy using my snow blower more now that it runs great and I have used it a fair number of times this year and I even go out and blow the driveway with as little as an inch of snow now since it cleans it up real fast in 4th gear and it seems as fast as a single stage now when I put it in high gear and it can handle up to 2 to 3 inches or more at high speed real easy. I have kept the driveway for the most of this winter to bare cement condition because I get the snow off so quick now that it doesn't have time to freeze to the driveway So I may be wearing my skids out faster too since the Predator's makes lots of torque and pushes the blower along real hard while blowing all the little nuisance 1 to 2 inch snowfalls we have been getting over the last 3 to 4 weeks in high gear. The one thing I like about the Predator is that this tough little engine literally pulls you along compare to the Tecumseh which seemed so much weaker. If I do not keep up with the Predator 212cc it will spin the tires at times on the snow covered driveway and It pushes like a locomotive now compared to bogging down like it did with the Tecumseh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 03-19-2013, 07:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1620
Likes (Received): 570
thats a good question gustoguy. it seems most have gone with the hd skids from snowblowerskids.com

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 28 Old 03-19-2013, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I looked at their website the skids really do look well made. Another problem with steel skids is they leave rust stains on the garage floor that is why I am interested in the composite skids. Has anyone used the composites Skids? And how well did they work Compared with the stock steel skids?
post #4 of 28 Old 03-21-2013, 08:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 0
I put a 1x6 piece of wood under mine to dry out and prevent the rust stains. I even keep it under the snow blower in storage. I also wipe the skids with WD40 when I'm done for the season.
post #5 of 28 Old 03-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Gusto, I got these Robalon skid shoes for the exact reason you mentioned.
I also noticed my JD original skid shoes "traced" a scratch in my cement.
It would go away from rain and sun the following spring/summer/fall, but I didn't like it. Only ran the blower a few times this year and they never made a scratch. They also don't appear to wear as fast as metal ones. They are pricey IMO, and I'm not affiliated with them at all, just FYI.
I like the ones I got better than the OEM steel.
Robalon - Salt, Age and Wear Resistant Skid Shoes and Scraper Bars - SEPW.com
The 1989 JD 826 I have weighs in at 260 pounds with a stock Tecumseh 8hp engine.

Last edited by jtclays; 03-21-2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: forgot
post #6 of 28 Old 03-22-2013, 02:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
I just adjusted the skids on mine yesterday to raise it a little as not to rip the grass up from the scraper bar...well in doing so the original size skids are now ripping up lawn. JT Clays do the Robalons take any lawn on your walkways if you have em??
Or the monster size ones on snowblower skids whomever has them???
post #7 of 28 Old 03-31-2013, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
Gusto, I got these Robalon skid shoes for the exact reason you mentioned.
I also noticed my JD original skid shoes "traced" a scratch in my cement.
It would go away from rain and sun the following spring/summer/fall, but I didn't like it. Only ran the blower a few times this year and they never made a scratch. They also don't appear to wear as fast as metal ones. They are pricey IMO, and I'm not affiliated with them at all, just FYI.
I like the ones I got better than the OEM steel.
Robalon - Salt, Age and Wear Resistant Skid Shoes and Scraper Bars - SEPW.com
The 1989 JD 826 I have weighs in at 260 pounds with a stock Tecumseh 8hp engine.
I will upgrade to these new skids for next year. I will let everyone know how well they work. Thanks jyclys for the link to the website. I like maintenance free and I hate having rust stains on the floor of my heated garage
post #8 of 28 Old 03-31-2013, 10:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1620
Likes (Received): 570
some clr will eleminate the rust stains on the floor

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #9 of 28 Old 04-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Simplicity, Sorry, been away from the computer for awhile. The new ones don't grab anymore grass than the old ones, as far as I can tell. If I pick my line wrong doing the walks, my scraper bar seems to do the most damage to the grass. I keep my grass edges pretty tidy along the walkways and as a result they are pretty high compared to the cement, so kinda hard to make an error and get into the grass. Starting at the corners is a different story, I've trimmed a few corners and threw them into the street No fault of the skids though.
post #10 of 28 Old 04-02-2013, 03:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
hahaha...Thanks JT... I gotcha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page