LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-27-2016, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 66
MTD Impeller Mod

Last year I decided to add "paddles" to the Impeller of my MTD SnowBlower (Branded under White Outdoor Equipment) . . . . and I did so last Spring.

This post is just to provide a little information on how well they're working. This was on a 26" Two Stage SnowBlower driven by a 8½HP Tecumseh Engine.

I didn't initially take my Blower apart in order to install these paddles; instead, I bought a used Impeller off of eBay, and modified it before doing the installation (I still have my original Impeller intact).

For "paddles", I came up with my own design, using fiberglass reinforced rubber truck mudflaps, over ¼" thick. I also slotted them about ¾" so that if they wore down, they might be periodically advanced a little as they wear (maybe once per season).

This is what they looked like before being mounted on the Impeller:

(Blue at the bottom)

And here they are mounted on the Impeller that I bought for this purpose:

(Orange at the bottom)

I can now report that after a couple snowfalls this season, I am very pleased with the improved power these Paddles are providing; and they have cleaned out the barrel of all slush and the chute has never yet gotten clogged. It's behaving like a different machine.

Without exaggerating I think they are shooting my discharged snow about 25% further that I experienced before . . . . around 25 to 30' instead of the 15 to 22' I was getting when clearing the same areas around my farm. I think this is due to the paddles occupying the "fastest" moving portion of the Impeller's Blades when they fill in that space between the previous tips and the perimeter of the barrel being filled with snow by the Auger . . . . between ⅜" and ½"; the area where ice typically accumulates on these machines, and begins filling the chute.

Elsewhere on the internet, some people suggest that you can install "Paddles" by operating through the chute and using self-tapping screws . . . . without removing the Impeller. I don't think that method would have resulted in my being as pleased as I am. I know myself well enough to know that reaching down through the chute to measure and drill holes would have driven me nuts; just say'in !

So that's my story . . . . and I can now understand why the manufacturers don't offer this feature. It wouldn't be understood or appreciated by the general public, and would add significantly to the cost of the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5471_zpsrmrueai7 (2).JPG
Views:	111
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	132265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5474_zpsggbxyzi2 (1).JPG
Views:	165
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	132273  

Last edited by Vermont007; 02-13-2018 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Fixing Photos
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Grunt, SkunkyLawnmowers thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-18-2016, 10:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 6
This is one of my mods i am scheduling to get done before the first snow storm. Tracking down an old truck mud flaps or baler belt, however if i cannot get my hands on one of those things then perhaps a sidewall of a used tire i have hanging around. A tire might be a bit thick but should still do the trick, big snips or a grinder should cut out a piece in short order.

My snow blower has four paddles so going to do two opposite blades, in reading from other experiences that will be just fine. A three paddle unit on the other hand you have to do all three.

Will likely be a couple weeks before i get this job completed, will post some pics when i am done.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-12-2016, 10:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 26
Likes (Received): 9
How did your "paddle" addition work out.. if you have done it yet..!!

Interested... might do this myself

1987 Craftsman Mod.C950528108 10/28...Techumseh Engine....SOLD

2007 Honda HS1132...GX340 Honda (Neighbor's)

2018 YT624EJ Yamahoooo..!
post #4 of 7 Old 10-12-2016, 10:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 95
Thanks (Received): 148
Likes (Given): 280
Likes (Received): 590
After Experimenting with Tires, Mud Flaps, and Door Sweeps, I have found this is a Very Good Product to use. Baler Belting, 2-Ply, 4 in. x 60 in. - For Life Out Here
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog, RAYAR liked this post
post #5 of 7 Old 10-13-2016, 10:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 26
I would go with the Baler belting, stands up to a lot of abuse.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #6 of 7 Old 10-14-2016, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
I've found baler belt is the way to go for DIY. I spend a little extra and get stainless steel fasteners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snow blower baler belt sales tag fleetfarm.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	90417   Click image for larger version

Name:	snow blower baler belt side view.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	90425  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-12-2018, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 66
I had a little free time today and took the opportunity to advance my "Paddles" for the first time, using the slots I built into them three years ago, in early Spring of 2015.

This required loosening the three (3) bolts/nuts on each impeller blade and pushing the worn Paddle out as far as it would go . . . . about ⅜", and then re-tightening.

I think I cut the slots about ¾" long, so I've only got one more "adjustment" before I have to remove them, or cut the slots a little longer, if the material I used will allow for that.

Working good . . . . so far !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page