LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-30-2016, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 3
5/24 Shave Plate

I ordered a replacement shave plate for my '93 MTD 5/24 from Jack's. I was surprised when I received the replacement and it is about 1/2 the thickness of the old one and is now the "wrap around style" according to the paperwork from Jack's.

Did I get the right parts? If this is the latest improvement from MTD I feel like I've been shaved!

FWIW the parts do fit, but I don't expect much life from this shave plate. The material is barely thicker than the housing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-30-2016, 03:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 236
Thanks (Received): 274
Likes (Given): 2765
Likes (Received): 500
Hello York, I can't comment on the scraper bar thickness except for the fact that every thing is made cheaper in our throw away society. The scraper bar will last much longer if you adjust the skid shoes so there is around a 1/8" space between the scraper and the pavement. Most people seem to use paint stirring sticks as a height adjusting tool. This is on a two stage blower, correct?

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 421-QZE (38585) 2008

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks York v45 thanked for this post
post #3 of 7 Old 01-30-2016, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Everything is back together with the new shave plate and a set of ARMORskids. Grunt you are correct, paint sticks work great for this adjustment. I think one hard shot into a curb and the scraper will be toast.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-02-2016, 07:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 14
Now that you have the armorskids on your scraper blade should last longer. I had to replace my blade about every four years due to a rough drive way. I put my armorskids on about six years ago and the blade still looks fairly new. The problem for me was the cheap replacement shoes I was using wear out so fast it was hard to maintain that 1/8. Seems the only thing that has worn off my armorskids is the paint.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-02-2016, 04:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I've been welding 1/8" steel on my skid shoes and hammered a curve in them. Could probably make a shave plate that way too. But I use the paint stick routine and haven't had to change it in 21 yrs.
RB
post #6 of 7 Old 02-06-2016, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
We had a major blizzard here in central Nebraska this week. Biggest storm we've had in a few years dumped 12" of heavy wet snow and 40-50mph wind. The 5/24 got a workout....the hardest I've run it since I've owned it.

5hp doesn't really cut it in 12" of wet snow. That news shouldn't be a shock to anyone. The machine will dig through but it requires slow going.

The biggest issue I had was that it wanted to climb and ride over the snow. I haven't seen that before installing the armorskids, but I don't think I've ever seen these snow conditions since buying the 5/24 either.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-06-2016, 08:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by York v45 View Post
We had a major blizzard here in central Nebraska this week. Biggest storm we've had in a few years dumped 12" of heavy wet snow and 40-50mph wind. The 5/24 got a workout....the hardest I've run it since I've owned it.

5hp doesn't really cut it in 12" of wet snow. That news shouldn't be a shock to anyone. The machine will dig through but it requires slow going.

The biggest issue I had was that it wanted to climb and ride over the snow. I haven't seen that before installing the armorskids, but I don't think I've ever seen these snow conditions since buying the 5/24 either.
Toss a 20LB bag of sand on the front of the bucket when the snow is deep. Part of the climbing is caused by the auger rotation into deep heavy snow. The auger spins down, and the density of the snow resists the intrusion and the resistance comes in the form of lift. The extra weight on the front will help counteract the upward push

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes York v45 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page