27" dual stage Murray - electric starter dead - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-16-2016, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
27" dual stage Murray - electric starter dead

I am new to the forum. Last night during the snow storm, while starting the snowblower, I pressed the electric start button and simultaneously, accidently / mistakenly (for some odd reason, and I never do such stupid thing) pushed the throttle from rabbit position towards the stop position. I heard a churning sound. After realizing my mistake, I immediately stopped the starter button, pulled the throttle on the rabbit position, and tried the starter button again, and the same churning sound. Seemed like the shaft spins but will not engage the motor.
To make things worse, after several trying, now there is no shaft spinning, and the start switch is totally dead - meaning when I press the electric start switch, no sound at all, and nothing happens.

Please HELP. I cant afford to buy another snow blower, and this blower has had no problems in the past, and has worked like a charm every single winter season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-16-2016, 11:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 66
Does that unit also have a Recoil (manual pull cord) starter ?
post #3 of 7 Old 12-16-2016, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes it does. I tried it, and I could hear the same churning sound.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-16-2016, 12:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 66
I'm not familiar with what braking mechanisms come into play on that Murray machine when you push the throttle to "OFF".

It sounds like something got jammed up, and you'll need to investigate what's necessary to get it un-jammed before you can proceed.

Here's hoping that someone who knows the idiosyncrasies of Murray can chime in here . . . . I don't think it's a deal killer.

Maybe power got cut off to the Starter while the Pinion Gear was just partly engaged ?

Clearly, I'd just be guessing !
post #5 of 7 Old 12-16-2016, 12:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 151
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 527
I'd guess the gear on the starter is jammed in the flywheel and can't disengage. Pop the shroud off and check it. I had a Yardman last year on trade that the PO claimed had a frozen Tecumseh.....upon inspection, the starter had loosened, a bolt fell out, and the starter cocked against the flywheel and jammed the engine hard. Easy fix.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-16-2016, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks folks. what I don't understand is why the churning sound stop all of a sudden, and the starter is dead when pushed - Was wondering if there was any electric short circuit ??

When I go home, per the video on another thread, I will first check for lose bolt on the starter, if not remove the starter with the electric connection that sits on top near the fuel tank and examine, and report back.
Thanks again.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-18-2016, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
So I checked the starter. One lower bolt was missing and starter was lose. Bolted it with new bolt tight, pressed start button, and same churning sound. Still won't start. Took the starter assembly off of the blower. Checked the starter gear tooth all seems to be good. The starter tooth part when rotated, nicely rotates, and goes in and out as it is supposed to. Oiled internals with with dw40. Still click click. No start.
Used the manual handle starter, and the blower started without any problems. I have bad back and need the electric start.

If need to replace the starter, where can I buy used starter for husk 80-110 Tecumseh engine 10 hp motor? I live in Ajax, Ontario, Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page