LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-16-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
impeller shaft bearing install

Murray Ultra 2-stage 8HP 27" G2784030, purchased 1997. The impeller shaft bearing is shot. I had a devil of a time removing it, probably because of some corrosion on the shaft? I put the nut back on the end of the shaft and a wood block on that, then gave it whacks until I worked it off. I've watched videos of impeller/auger assembly removal and they just "pull it out" from the front. Question is, how is that possible? It can't be a press-fit bearing then right? I'm assuming the shaft/bearing should be a very close fit but doesn't require a pressing tool. I believe the bearing retainer grips the outer race, and the shaft spacer exerts some pressure on the inner race?

My plan at the moment is to take some fine sandpaper to the shaft until the bearing can traverse it by hand, then do the reassemble. Sound right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-16-2019, 05:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 347
Likes (Received): 645
Bearing Should Slide on the Shaft. Clean the shaft with Sandpaper or a wire wheel, and use some oil.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Zavie liked this post
post #3 of 5 Old 10-16-2019, 05:29 PM
Sid

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 33
If you got it off by hitting a piece of wood makes me think that it wasn't much of a press fit, it probably was the crud/rust that sort of held it on. Clean up the shaft, and the outer bearing holder and the new bearing should fit fine. I try to use a socket or a piece of pipe to match the inner race to "tap" it on the shaft.The outer race should slide into the recess. Always check a new ball bearing for smoothness, no sandy or lumpy feeling as you rotate it by hand.
Sid

'66 Sears/Murray 26"
'71 Jakobson 17 SnowBlitz
post #4 of 5 Old 10-16-2019, 05:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 90
Likes (Given): 398
Likes (Received): 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradholcomb View Post
Murray Ultra 2-stage 8HP 27" G2784030, purchased 1997. The impeller shaft bearing is shot. I had a devil of a time removing it, probably because of some corrosion on the shaft? I put the nut back on the end of the shaft and a wood block on that, then gave it whacks until I worked it off. I've watched videos of impeller/auger assembly removal and they just "pull it out" from the front. Question is, how is that possible? It can't be a press-fit bearing then right? I'm assuming the shaft/bearing should be a very close fit but doesn't require a pressing tool. I believe the bearing retainer grips the outer race, and the shaft spacer exerts some pressure on the inner race?

My plan at the moment is to take some fine sandpaper to the shaft until the bearing can traverse it by hand, then do the reassemble. Sound right?
Yes. Watch Donyboy73's video if you want to see a tough to remove auger. Donyboy does kick it's a$$

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #5 of 5 Old 10-16-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Thank you all! Gotta keep this beast running! Just like my 38 year old Kenmore washer and dryer! Thank goodness for Google, YouTube, FixItNow.com, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page