LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-06-2014, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Murray 1696395

Hey folks, first post here on the forum. I'm looking at a Murray snow blower (model 1696395) that I have a chance to order through a rewards program at work. For the life of me I can't find a thing about this one! The details available online are pitiful and Murray of course is no help so far. In my research I know that Murray is now owned but Briggs. I called Briggs and was able to get a manual and spec sheet but even those have a lack of info. The manual covered several models and the spec sheet didn't answer any of my questions. The pictures I've found online show trigger grips under the handles that seem to indicate a steering control of some kind and there also seems to be wires going in to the hand grips that would indicated they are heated but none of the product descriptions list those features. I'm just wondering if anyone has any info on these models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 332
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 749
They have it listed on the current Murray webpage:

27" 250cc Dual-Stage Snow Blower | Snowthrowers | Murray

Looks like a nice unit!
Murray is still a good brand, they were taken over by Briggs & Stratton a few years back, and people still consider the "Briggs Brands" to be good quality machines.
In addition to Murray, the current Briggs snowblower brands are Simplicity, Snapper and Brute. Simplicity and Snapper are also good names that go back many decades..Simplicity goes back half a century.

Amazon also has some data on it:

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-07-2014, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank Scot, yeah, I've seen it there on Amazon and on Murray's site but like I mentioned there's a few features they don't mention specifically it has such as the steering control. That picture on Amazon clearly shows what the Operators manual I got from Briggs calls a steering control but you'd think if it had that feature the product description on the websites would mention it but they don't. Same goes for the heated hand grips and chute control. The product description mentioned chute control and from what I see in the pics it is controlled by a lever on the dash next to the speed selector but what about rotation? I don't see a basic left hand crank or a dash mounted crank like most Briggs models have so would that indicate electric control for rotation? I just have to wonder why Murray doesn't have a clear description of everything on it, it's very vague.

Oh well, I did email Murray through their website so fingers crossed I get an answer. If so I'll be happy to share as like you said, it looks like a nice unit.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-10-2014, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Finally got some word back from Murry and Briggs. For anyone that is interested in this model it has dash mounted crank for chute rotation and dash mounted lever for deflection control. It does have steering control, what Murray calls Easy Turn Traction Control though no one could answer me if it was for one or both wheels. It also does not have heated grips (though i'm sure they could be added).

Talk about an ordeal just to get that info. Most of the Murray reps couldn't answer my basic questions about the unit, one even gave me a number to "dealer support" that turned out to be the customer service number to Husqvarna! After several calls I finally was able to speak to a Briggs rep who found the info I needed. I had earlier in the week placed a call to CPO Outlets who sells the unit but it ships from the manufacturer so they couldn't go look at one. The rep there took my info and said he had a contact at Briggs that he would reach out to. He called me back and confirmed all of the info the Briggs rep I got a hold of directly was correct.

Hopefully that helps anyone that searches for info on this unit, the pictures and product descriptions out there are a bit confusing. I'm still undecided if I'm going to pull the trigger on this one (I have a chance to get it "free" through a reward program thing at work) but if I do I'll post impressions of it.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-10-2014, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 332
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 749
Thanks for the info!
good to know..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junx69 View Post
(I have a chance to get it "free" through a reward program thing at work)
With a deal like that, how can you possibly be undecided?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junx69 View Post
but if I do I'll post impressions of it.
please do!
We dont seem to hear a lot about the new Briggs machines..
(for some reason, we seem to be a lot of Ariens, Toro and Honda guys here!)
so a Briggs/Murray review would be great.

Scot

Last edited by sscotsman; 12-10-2014 at 08:36 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-10-2014, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Will do, Scot. I can't say I blame you guys though, Ariens and Honda are tough machines. Even with the great deal on the Murray I'm considering saving my points for something later and purchasing a unit. My top 3 brands at the moment weighing price, features, and construction are Ariens, Husqvarna, and Simplicity. I really like the build quality of those, especially the non slip-disc drive ones. It's time for me to hit up the dealers and see them first hand instead of just reading, haha.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-11-2014, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
Welcome to the forum Jynx

You could always buy the Murray with the points and sell it next year. You'll take a hit selling a new machine so you might as well get a season out of it and then you can apply the sale to the purchase of an Ariens, Toro, Honda or ....

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #8 of 8 Old 12-11-2014, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
You know, that's a great point. Pure profit never hurt!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page