Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 622
Thanks (Received): 147
Likes (Given): 877
Likes (Received): 925
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper116 View Post
I took the advise of a hardware salesman and used a soft grade bolt that they gave me... stating it was a soft Grade 5 bolt that is the same as a Murray brand sheer bolt. Well, I hit something and that very bolt did NOT break, and the bolt actually peeled the auger housing back, bending the bolt over while doing it.. and it pulled the auger out of it's housing mount bracket. This just happened and when I get time to look into it, I may be talking to the Hardware store for any liability of damage costs. I won't settle for just a "soft bolt".. I now have the actual Murray sheer bolts. Just word to the wise.. Good luck.
glad you brought this up. our local honda dealer tells people this also. i don't recommend it. I just tell friends and neighbors NOT to use the blower without the proper shear. too much of a gamble in my opinion. I buy tons of extra shears for people in my area.

do any of you pros actually know a good alternative to a shear at the hardware store for an emergency? I think i would rather shovel than take a chance. one of my friend mechanics has told me too many horror stories of $300 or more repairs he has made because people using these hardware store bolts.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Copper116 thanked for this post
Likes Copper116 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 04-09-2018, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhpyro View Post
I use non graded bolts for my snowbird....get your old sheer bolt and mark the areas where the bolt should sheer against the new bolt. Mark those areas where the pin sheers with a magic marker.
I then place the bolt in my drill press or lathe, and with a .020 cutter or hacksaw blade, place the blade against the bolt markings and while the bolt is spinning slowly place the blade against the marking and cut into the bolt about .030...
That is where the bolt will sheer ....where the groves are cut into the bolt.
If you just can't get the right bolt I guess making one is all you can do but for the cost of a gear box or a gear box repair I'd rather just purchase or order in the correct part for that application. Everyone should always have a pair of spares.
If I had to finish a driveway I might slap a bent over nail in there as I know it will shear that nail in a heartbeat without doing any damage to the machine. Getting an ungraded bolt of unknown origin and sawing it might work but I wouldn't want to bet my gearbox on it.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Copper116 thanked for this post
Likes orangputeh, Copper116 liked this post
post #13 of 15 Old 04-10-2018, 10:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 110
Last year I found a pack of ten Ariens shear bolts on Amazon for my 28 deluxe got them for $9.00 with free prime shipping. I always look for this kinda of stuff in the off season as pricing is a lot better.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-10-2018, 11:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 110
Oh by the way my dealer is 70 miles away and when I called him they had none in stock and was told I could go to hardware a get soft grade bolts. I will not and do not use anything except a sheer bolt. I have seen way to many shafts and gear boxes and belts destroyed by regular bolts. One problem is when you use just a regular hardware bolt you are relying on who ever Mfg. it to be within some type or range for torque shear not side shear. And with more and more of this stuff coming from overseas you do not know what their process for treating is so you really cant rely that it will side shear at your machines shear pin spec. I try to keep several types here so that I can replace the hardware bolts when people have me work on their blower. If and only If you have to use something other that a actual shear bolt for an emergency I would go to your hardware walk past the bolts and go to the cotter pin section and get a cotter pin matched as close as possible in dia. and length to your shear bolt. DO NOT USE CLEVICE PINS!!!!! { ONLY COTTER PINS / COTTER KEYS }
post #15 of 15 Old 04-10-2018, 04:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 43
IF really stuck don't use anything harder than a grade 2 bolt. which is about the softest you can find.
here's a link to a chart of hardness of bolts by thread
Proof Load Tensil Strength For Grade 2, 5, & 8

Last edited by old ope mechanic; 04-17-2018 at 04:00 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page