Honda 1332 augers and auger housing - Page 2 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 Old 02-20-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowSquatch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrom View Post
Not jumping in on how/why, but prices from boats.net are a lot better that what you posted. Augers for $105.74 each and the bucket for $439.51.

Like Red and vmax have said, I'd weld up the bucket, add armorskids then replace at least the most worn auger myself (pretty easy) then get a backup blower because I think you're gonna need one, probably sooner than later.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/...-1000001/auger

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/.../auger-housing
Thanks! Now that’s some relief on the pocket book! I will be looking today. Huge help man. Class act!
And Jrom, what is the easiest way to change the auger. Just the quick version. What am I looking for to get it out of the housing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 02-20-2019, 09:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 342
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 1031
Likes (Received): 175
I've taken my '91 HS828 augers apart and it's super easy. Haven't done auger maintenance yet on my 1332, but basically you take the auger housing bracket off, disconnect the auger transmission from the blower (impeller) shaft, remove the side bearing bolts, then slide the auger assembly and auger transmission out (as one unit), then you disassemble each auger from the auger trans shaft (which does not run the full length of the auger assembly).

If you plan on keeping your 1332 and you want to save $ and down-time, I'd invest in a shop manual.

Honda HS828TAS (1991) – Made in Japan with Thai built GX240
Honda HSS1332ATD (Late-2015) – Made in USA with Thai built GX390

180" to a rare 350" of snow per year (Alberta Clippers & Lake Michigan), 644' gravel driveway, 2 vehicle parking areas, 500' of trails around small house with an unheated garage.
post #13 of 27 Old 02-20-2019, 09:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 638
Thanks (Received): 160
Likes (Given): 947
Likes (Received): 1027
Garage
tough love is sometimes hard to swallow.

i have worked on hundreds of Honda's and can not believe the abuse and neglect i see from owners who do not know how to maintain their machines. ( and don't want to learn ) I guess they don't mind wasting money.

I sold a beautiful 928 to a property management owner who placed the machine in the back of his truck and started throwing bicycles on top of it. I yelled at him and offered his money back for the machine because could not stand the abuse. Turned down the contract to service/repair his other 11 Honda's.

It's a real shame and waste.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes WVguy liked this post
post #14 of 27 Old 02-20-2019, 10:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Since I haven't done it yet, I'm just looking at my shop manual and guessing you may only have to take one shear bolt off the blower (impeller) shaft (Honda calls it the joint pipe), then two auger shaft bolts (one on each side) on the outside of the auger housing, then take off two (on each side) bearing holder bolts (4 total) that are on the inside of the bucket.

You should then be able to slide the entire auger and trans assembly out.

If you have the HSS1332AATD / HSS1332AACTD, the auger bracket has a limit switch you have to disconnect and take out of the way to slide the auger assembly out.

After that it looks like you can slide the auger bearings, bearing holders and spacers off the auger drive shaft, then remove the two auger shear bolts, then slide the augers off the auger shaft.

180" to a rare 350" of snow per year (Alberta Clippers & Lake Michigan), 644' gravel driveway, 2 vehicle parking areas, 500' of trails around small house with an unheated garage.

Last edited by jrom; 02-20-2019 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typo correction
post #15 of 27 Old 02-20-2019, 10:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I know you've learned a lot from this site and you've also helped a lot of us out and that is really cool.

Before I joined here I came close to being one of the "dead from the neck up" guys by not keeping an eye out on my rear skids (on my 828) and I wore the scraper bar low enough to start chewing up the bottom edge of the bucket.

I've since learned the error of my ways ...I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
tough love is sometimes hard to swallow.

i have worked on hundreds of Honda's and can not believe the abuse and neglect i see from owners who do not know how to maintain their machines. ( and don't want to learn ) I guess they don't mind wasting money.

I sold a beautiful 928 to a property management owner who placed the machine in the back of his truck and started throwing bicycles on top of it. I yelled at him and offered his money back for the machine because could not stand the abuse. Turned down the contract to service/repair his other 11 Honda's.

It's a real shame and waste.

Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #16 of 27 Old 02-20-2019, 10:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 638
Thanks (Received): 160
Likes (Given): 947
Likes (Received): 1027
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrom View Post
I know you've learned a lot from this site and you've also helped a lot of us out and that is really cool.

Before I joined here I came close to being one of the "dead from the neck up" guys by not keeping an eye out on my rear skids (on my 828) and I wore the scraper bar low enough to start chewing up the bottom edge of the bucket.

I've since learned the error of my ways ...I think
my passion sometimes gets the better of me.

being borderline bi-polar does not help things.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #17 of 27 Old 02-20-2019, 10:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 180
Likes (Received): 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Definitely agree on having a backup blower of some kind. Especially while establishing your customer base and reputation.

You don't want a broken belt, failed chute switch, etc, to leave you unable to clear your customers.

Those prices from boats.net look a lot better. You could keep the old augers for an emergency, or maybe weld on a new strip of steel along their edges, etc.

I suspect that *any* side skids would be a big help. Though lots of people do like the ArmorSkids, maybe they'd be perfect. I think they sell a thicker Pro version of their skids.

Good luck!
Sound advice indeed. I blow snow commercially with HS 928 hondas. Oh my, it would be a real nightmare without at least 2 machines. Hondas are pretty reliable. But even well maintained they let you down, usually at the worst time. Thats when you go back to the shop drop off the broken down one and pickup your spare and back on the trail. Do the repair when the weather gives you a break. I dont do any where near 50 drives and I wont be without backup machines and a good supply of the common wear parts. Being reliable is everything!! Clients dont want to hear broke down, they want their drive cleared and on time. What I have found over the years is this. You need multiple machines. Trying to get by with one is just not going to work. For a short time maybe, but it will catch up with you. Before I got into Hondas I had a hard time to get thru a major storm with a few backups. Sometimes down to the last one and fingers crossed. Like the saying goes, its the little things that will get ya down. A small simple part and your out of service.
Properly adjusted side skids are the ticket to save your bucket. I put side skids and raised the rears so the side skids do the work. Works for me. More than 10 years on my blowers and no wear on the bucket and only minimal on the augers. Keep them adjusted, skids wear surprisingly fast. Pro Armour skids are great no question, the base is about 1/2 inch thick and will go longer without adjustment due to the larger wear surface.
Likes jrom liked this post
post #18 of 27 Old 02-20-2019, 10:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I hear ya. Bummer on the borderline BP, I know quite a few people who have it, thankfully it can usually be controlled, but I know (as the song says) It don't come easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
my passion sometimes gets the better of me.

being borderline bi-polar does not help things.

post #19 of 27 Old 02-20-2019, 10:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
I'm sure they must have their reasons for using them, but anecdotally, it seems like maybe Hondas suffer from worn buckets and augers more than other brands. And I assume this is at least somewhat due to the rear mounted skids. Offering less control over the front of the bucket, and maybe being tougher to monitor for wear?

An advantage I can think of is the bucket has a narrower profile (no skids at the sides), more like a knife, so it can better punch into icy/firm snow.

But after that, the rear skids seem more like a liability to me, helping cause needless wear.

Is there a big benefit to them that I'm missing? I haven't gotten to own a Honda, so I have to go by what I read.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800

Last edited by RedOctobyr; 02-20-2019 at 11:24 AM.
post #20 of 27 Old 02-20-2019, 11:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I think you're right and I think it's a bad design.

You may be right on the narrow profile angle too. I put the first 20 hours on my 1332 without side skids.

After adding them, it became harder to use the blower up to tight spaces like trees, rocks and even clearing a previous path that may have ice chunks frozen to the ground. The blower will sometimes hit then jump up if the frozen chunk is big enough or super glued down. It was a smoother operation before side skids, but the bennies far outweigh the negatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
I'm sure they must have their reasons for using them, but anecdotally, it seems like maybe Hondas suffer from worn buckets and augers more than other brands. And I assume this is at least somewhat due to the rear mounted skids. Offering less control over the front of the bucket, and maybe being tougher to monitor for wear?

An advantage I can think of is the bucket has a narrower profile (no skids at the sides), more like as knife, so it can better punch into icy/firm snow.

But after that, the rear skids seem more like a liability to me, helping cause needless wear.

Is there a big benefit to them that I'm missing? I haven't gotten to own a Honda, so I have to go by what I read.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page