Honda 1332 augers and auger housing - Page 3 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 02-20-2019, 11:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
I'm sure they must have their reasons for using them, but anecdotally, it seems like maybe Hondas suffer from worn buckets and augers more than other brands. And I assume this is at least somewhat due to the rear mounted skids. Offering less control over the front of the bucket, and maybe being tougher to monitor for wear?

An advantage I can think of is the bucket has a narrower profile (no skids at the sides), more like as knife, so it can better punch into icy/firm snow.

But after that, the rear skids seem more like a liability to me, helping cause needless wear.

Is there a big benefit to them that I'm missing? I haven't gotten to own a Honda, so I have to go by what I read.
That’s what I gather. Rear skids alone will always cut into snow with out constantly riding up on the packed down stuff. The serrated augers just shred what ever it contacts.

The biggest problem with only having rear skids is using dig mode. Placing the machine in “dig” pitches the augers closer to the pavement, while also increasing bucket pressure which wears the skids quicker. This downpressure and change in the machines center the of gravity is a godsend on packed frozen surfaces, but as explained can exacerbate wear and tear.

Although I would recommend replacing the worn auger, the priority needs to be the addition of side skids. You said the bucket is worn past the bolt holes for the side skids. How you address this depends on you. Finding a shop to weld in material to restore the metal is ideal, but may not be worth the expense. New bolt holes can be easily marked and drilled to accept some side skids. It won’t be pretty, but as a workhorse, that machine doesn’t need to be pretty.

Honda’s UHPE skids are fantastic, they glide well, are non marring and reversible for additional life, but they are inherently a soft material that will wear away faster then steel.

Armorskids are great as well. The pro version (a must if you are buying armorskids) has an extremely thick wear surface and protects the bucket and augers from pavementand concrete irregularities. The downside is they have a lot of surface area that increasing the chance of floating on packed snow.

Honda doesn’t make the metal pro skids anymore unfortunately.

Honestly, trial and error is the only way to know what’s right for you. Either way you swing it, with the amount of driveways you maintain, constant skid adjustments are a must. At this point the shave plate probably needs to be adjusted down as well.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 02-20-2019, 04:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 180
Likes (Received): 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
tough love is sometimes hard to swallow.

i have worked on hundreds of Honda's and can not believe the abuse and neglect i see from owners who do not know how to maintain their machines. ( and don't want to learn ) I guess they don't mind wasting money.

I sold a beautiful 928 to a property management owner who placed the machine in the back of his truck and started throwing bicycles on top of it. I yelled at him and offered his money back for the machine because could not stand the abuse. Turned down the contract to service/repair his other 11 Honda's.

It's a real shame and waste.
I knew a guy . He ran a trucking business (semi trucks hauling lumber) He would buy a new 4x4 every five years, his personal vehicle. That truck didn't see even an oil change while he would have it. When you pull the stick it looked like grease. Wasn't that he didn't know better, he just wouldn't spend money on it. Drive the crap out of it for five years then dump it and get a new one. I wouldn't want to be the guy who got his used truck. A whole other way of thinking. I really think or I hope it goes against the majority. The guy was a real cowboy.
post #23 of 27 Old 02-20-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for all the sound advice guys. I ended up going to the store and ordering all the replacement parts to put her back together again new. It’s too valuable of a machine to me to just piece it’s together. They are sold out of the side skids, but should have new ones in before my new auger housing arrives, and they price matched boats.net. 1000$ for the whole repair parts and labor. Could be a **** of a lot worse I guess.
There is one storm forecasted between now and when I can get it fixed. So with a grinder, hammer and some wrenches, I Frankenstein’ed up the beast the best I could to run for the next snow while waiting for my parts, and I have enough time/snow to earn back the damage. Those rear skids drag and pull the machine all over the **** place making the job not so fun anymore. The resounding comments of throw side skids on seem to be the ticket. They will be on before it gets one more snowflake through it after the repairs.
Besides plenty of spare skids, shear pins, and cutting edges, what other replacement parts should a guy have a grip of on hand at all times? I carry a complete set of tools with me at all times and try to do repairs as things break on the fly
post #24 of 27 Old 02-20-2019, 05:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Glad you've got the parts coming to fix it!

I'd at least have a spare set of belts on hand.

If they're not too expensive, maybe the switches that control the chute? If you lose chute control, that's not good. I don't know how commonly those fail.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #25 of 27 Old 02-20-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Glad you've got the parts coming to fix it!

I'd at least have a spare set of belts on hand.

If they're not too expensive, maybe the switches that control the chute? If you lose chute control, that's not good. I don't know how commonly those fail.
Belts and chute controls. Check! I’ll put it on my tab lol. I don’t know either on their durability. Will have to check pricing and grab one of those too
post #26 of 27 Old 09-12-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Craftsman, cadet, toro, and Troy

Hey guys, I’m planning on getting a backup for my Honda this year and possibly taking on a guy to help me with my route. Might just get another Honda, but what are some real world opinions to the other brands. I have no interest in husquvarna. But what about toros or troys etc. I know ariens are solid machines, just want to know about the little guys???
Thanks for the help!
post #27 of 27 Old 09-12-2019, 10:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 638
Thanks (Received): 160
Likes (Given): 945
Likes (Received): 1026
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowSquatch View Post
Hey guys, I’m planning on getting a backup for my Honda this year and possibly taking on a guy to help me with my route. Might just get another Honda, but what are some real world opinions to the other brands. I have no interest in husquvarna. But what about toros or troys etc. I know ariens are solid machines, just want to know about the little guys???
Thanks for the help!
stick with Honda so you can stock common replacement parts plus easier to work on. do you work on your own machines or contract that out?

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page