LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 02-19-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Honda 1332 augers and auger housing

Hey all. The information on this site has been invaluable to me when I purchased my new hss1332 this year. I started a business this year clearing driveways when I’m not paving during the warm months. Up to 50 clients in my first couple months, and the snow is still falling with more calls coming in. I’ve had to turn away work.
I was doing some maintenance on my machine today, and noticed a huge problem. My augers are digging into the pavement and concrete apparently. The left side is already worn half way off, and the auger housing has already worn through the bolt holes for the side shoes (side shoes are an add on for this machine). My bread and butter is a retirement community, so I keep them 100% clean, 100% of the time. Yes I’ve adjusted the rear shoes several times already, and I’m on my second set. I’ll be installing a new cutting edge tomorrow after my rounds. Has anyone else had this issue and how do you remedy the problem??? I don’t want to have to change the augers every couple months. They’re 500$ :/, and a new housing is 1100$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-19-2019, 08:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Welcome to the forum!

I don't own a Honda, but I've read about issues with worn down augers and buckets, due to rear skid shoes not being adjusted correctly, allowing the augers or bucket to touch the ground.

You should never be wearing down augers or the bucket itself, with proper maintenance, no matter how much you're clearing. Those should never be considered wear items. Side skid shoes are sometimes added, I would definitely add them in your case. They'd provide another wear surface, and might be easier to monitor than the rear skids.

Personally, the idea of only having rear skids makes me nervous. Even if you're monitoring the condition & adjustment of the skids itself, they can't do much to help if you get to an uphill incline (like maybe going up the ramp from the street to the sidewalk). The rear skids would still be on level ground, when the bucket and augers are getting to the incline, and they'll briefly try to wear against the ground. Side-mounted skids are much closer to the front of the machine, and can help avoid that, by lifting the bucket up as the side skids reach the incline.

You might be able to have someone weld up the bucket, to try and repair some of the damage. There are discussion threads here where people have welded buckets to repair metal that's rusted away, or been ground off from use. The augers would likely be difficult to repair, though anything is possible.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800

Last edited by RedOctobyr; 02-19-2019 at 09:10 PM.
post #3 of 27 Old 02-19-2019, 09:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 81
Garage
You can try the armorskids. They should protect the augers better.
post #4 of 27 Old 02-19-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I don't own a Honda, but I've read about issues with worn down augers and buckets, due to rear skid shoes not being adjusted correctly, allowing the augers or bucket to touch the ground.

You should never be wearing down augers or the bucket itself, with proper maintenance, no matter how much you're clearing. Those should never be considered wear items. Side skid shoes are sometimes added, I would definitely add them in your case. They'd provide another wear surface, and might be easier to monitor than the rear skids.

Personally, the idea of only having rear skids makes me nervous. Even if you're monitoring the condition & adjustment of the skids itself, they can't do much to help if you get to an uphill incline (like maybe going up the ramp from the street to the sidewalk). The rear skids would still be on level ground, when the bucket and augers are getting to the incline, and they'll briefly try to wear against the ground. Side-mounted skids are much closer to the front of the machine, and can help avoid that, by lifting the bucket up as the side skids reach the incline.

You might be able to have someone weld up the bucket, to try and repair some of the damage. There are discussion threads here where people have welded buckets to repair metal that's rusted away, or been ground off from use. The augers would likely be difficult to repair, though anything is possible.
That makes complete sense. THANK YOU! I had a feeling I shouldve put the side shoes on the moment I unloaded it in my garage in October. But I trusted the engineers knowing more than I did. I’m going to try to get the damage warrantied tomorrow after I make my loop. Or at least get the process started for when there is a few days without snow. I don’t have a backup machine yet, and can’t jeopardize my reputation I’ve earned this far. There is no darn way I can shovel 50 driveways in a day. Need that beastie money maker in action. If they dont warranty it, I bet I can attach some 10ga sheet metal to the tub, drill a couple holes, and get the side shoes on it for the rest of the week. Then replace the augers for next season. Locked in a couple HOAs for next year. Those, with 90 percent return customers, and the randoms that will book me, augers will be the least of my worries. A couple reliable hands and a couple more machines will be the stress point in 10months. AGAIN thanks for the advice!
post #5 of 27 Old 02-19-2019, 10:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 636
Thanks (Received): 160
Likes (Given): 939
Likes (Received): 1017
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowSquatch View Post
Hey all. The information on this site has been invaluable to me when I purchased my new hss1332 this year. I started a business this year clearing driveways when I€™m not paving during the warm months. Up to 50 clients in my first couple months, and the snow is still falling with more calls coming in. I€™ve had to turn away work.
I was doing some maintenance on my machine today, and noticed a huge problem. My augers are digging into the pavement and concrete apparently. The left side is already worn half way off, and the auger housing has already worn through the bolt holes for the side shoes (side shoes are an add on for this machine). My bread and butter is a retirement community, so I keep them 100% clean, 100% of the time. Yes I€™ve adjusted the rear shoes several times already, and I€™m on my second set. I€™ll be installing a new cutting edge tomorrow after my rounds. Has anyone else had this issue and how do you remedy the problem??? I don€™t want to have to change the augers every couple months. They€™re 500$ :/, and a new housing is 1100$.
This blows my mind buddy.

You bought this machine for how much? and did not read the owners manual for basic maintenance? adjusting skids and scraper bar every so many hours and you would not have damaged that $1000 bucket.

I'm just trying to show some TOUGH LOVE!!!!!
sorry for the flame but some people......... the admin will probably delete my response.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #6 of 27 Old 02-20-2019, 07:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 243
Likes (Received): 285

Not to pile on but with >50 clients and 3 (?) snowfalls that's a lot of work done before stopping to take a look at things and notice the wear. Hmmm maybe it's not a Honda design issue, it's an Owner issue.

Anyhoo the machine will be paid off and on CL soon

for top dollar

another bottomless bucket, smooth auger'd Honda that's too expensive to repair.

Its the circle of life

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower
post #7 of 27 Old 02-20-2019, 08:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 342
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 1031
Likes (Received): 175
Not jumping in on how/why, but prices from boats.net are a lot better than what you posted. Augers for $105.74 each and the bucket for $439.51.

Like Red and vmax have said, I'd weld up the bucket, add armorskids then replace at least the most worn auger myself (pretty easy) then get a backup blower because I think you're gonna need one, probably sooner than later.

If you do end up replacing the auger, I'd also add new bearings even though your 1332 is new. They may have been compromised and it only adds some time and they're not too expensive. You would need one #16 ($21.36) and two #23 ($2.52 each). I'd at least replace the two side bearings. Diagram and prices at the 2nd link.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/...-1000001/auger

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/.../auger-housing

Honda HS828TAS (1991) Made in Japan with Thai built GX240
Honda HSS1332ATD (Late-2015) Made in USA with Thai built GX390

180" to a rare 350" of snow per year (Alberta Clippers & Lake Michigan), 644' gravel driveway, 2 vehicle parking areas, 500' of trails around small house with an unheated garage.

Last edited by jrom; 02-20-2019 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Typo correction and added my 2 cents on bearings.
post #8 of 27 Old 02-20-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowSquatch View Post
Hey all. The information on this site has been invaluable to me when I purchased my new hss1332 this year. I started a business this year clearing driveways when I€™️m not paving during the warm months. Up to 50 clients in my first couple months, and the snow is still falling with more calls coming in. I€™️ve had to turn away work.
I was doing some maintenance on my machine today, and noticed a huge problem. My augers are digging into the pavement and concrete apparently. The left side is already worn half way off, and the auger housing has already worn through the bolt holes for the side shoes (side shoes are an add on for this machine). My bread and butter is a retirement community, so I keep them 100% clean, 100% of the time. Yes I€™️ve adjusted the rear shoes several times already, and I€™️m on my second set. I€™️ll be installing a new cutting edge tomorrow after my rounds. Has anyone else had this issue and how do you remedy the problem??? I don€™️t want to have to change the augers every couple months. They€™️re 500$ 😕, and a new housing is 1100$.
This blows my mind buddy.

You bought this machine for how much? and did not read the owners manual for basic maintenance? adjusting skids and scraper bar every so many hours and you would not have damaged that $1000 bucket.

I'm just trying to show some TOUGH LOVE!!!!!
sorry for the flame but some people......... the admin will probably delete my response.
Actually I read the manual cover to cover before ever using the machine. If you would’ve read my original post it says “yes I’ve adjusted the shoes”. Even got technical about it and made different thickness shims to set my height exactly the way I wanted it. More than once I might add
I asked for help, not some blowhard to tell me that he thinks Im an idiot. Took all precautions and was assured by Honda that the side shoes were not required or necessary.
I guess people that spend their life on their high horses never learned to read or be decent to people that have legitimate problems. That or your a distant decendant of Einstein and know everything there is to know about everything.... that would be Alfred not Albert Einstein. Thanks for nothing buddy. Appreciate it 🙂
post #9 of 27 Old 02-20-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrom View Post
Not jumping in on how/why, but prices from boats.net are a lot better that what you posted. Augers for $105.74 each and the bucket for $439.51.

Like Red and vmax have said, I'd weld up the bucket, add armorskids then replace at least the most worn auger myself (pretty easy) then get a backup blower because I think you're gonna need one, probably sooner than later.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/...-1000001/auger

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/.../auger-housing
Thanks! Now that’s some relief on the pocket book! I will be looking today. Huge help man. Class act!
post #10 of 27 Old 02-20-2019, 08:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Definitely agree on having a backup blower of some kind. Especially while establishing your customer base and reputation.

You don't want a broken belt, failed chute switch, etc, to leave you unable to clear your customers.

Those prices from boats.net look a lot better. You could keep the old augers for an emergency, or maybe weld on a new strip of steel along their edges, etc.

I suspect that *any* side skids would be a big help. Though lots of people do like the ArmorSkids, maybe they'd be perfect. I think they sell a thicker Pro version of their skids.

Good luck!

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Prime, jrom liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page