Hello from Elk River, MN.....just moved in from Texas ya'll!! - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-03-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Hello from Elk River, MN.....just moved in from Texas ya'll!!

Yes, apparently I'm nuts, but I took a new job with my company and was moved from hot, humid, Houston, TX to just outside Minneapolis, MN.

I heard Minnesota gets a dusting of snow from time to time during the winter!

I'm looking to buy a Honda snowblower, and will be asking ?? on here as it relates to what I need to fit my bill.

Cheers ya'll!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-03-2019, 04:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1117
ALOHA From The Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 8 Old 09-03-2019, 05:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 43
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 307
Likes (Received): 156
Welcome to the forum! We will be glad to help you choose the shiny new Toro! Or Honda, lol.

2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #4 of 8 Old 09-04-2019, 10:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 13
I have a Toro Powermax HD 928 OHXE, which is no longer made. The smallest is now the 1028 OHXE. So far, my snowblower has been unstoppable. I have tried purposely stalling it out many times, but haven't been able to.

There is lots of good advice here, you won't go wrong with a premium or mid-grade model Toro, Ariens or Honda.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-05-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Good deal - thank you!

What about track drive vs. wheel drive? If you don't NEED track drive is there any disadvantage? I would assume more parts = more to go wrong.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-07-2019, 11:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 121
Thanks (Received): 115
Likes (Given): 249
Likes (Received): 136
Hello Skeezix & welcome aboard from Michigan!

Go left.....No, your other left!
post #7 of 8 Old 09-09-2019, 02:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 158
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
Good deal - thank you!

What about track drive vs. wheel drive? If you don't NEED track drive is there any disadvantage? I would assume more parts = more to go wrong.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Skeezix, welcome to the forum.

You need to decide how much you can afford to spend before you fall into the snow blower shopping rabbit hole. A smaller snow blower will take longer to do snow removal and if your dealing with deep snows where you have to cut it down with a snow shovel or grain scoop it will take even longer.

The holy grail is having a huge amount of available torque and power which in itself will provide you for many, many, years of dependable power for any snow event.

A track drive snow caster will have a variable speed hydrostatic transmission that rotates the two sprockets that mesh with the rubber track to make it move. The very large track drive snow blowers may have steering brakes to make them easier to use.

A V belt driven snow caster will have a V belt that spins the drive pulley and it spins a rubber traction tire that is used to spin the wheels and the way it is set up the closer the drive tire is moved to the center of the drive pulley the faster it moves.

The more power you have the less money that purchase of extra power will cost you over time as the engine will barely grunt when under load. Even with a winter with less snow your snow blower will clear any snowfall event at a very fast rate.

The larger toro snow casters have the patented anticlog feature wherein as the snow is pushed into the cross auger housing the excess snow in front of the impeller is forced out of the impeller housing and it flows to the right through the opening and forces it back out to assure the impeller is fed a smaller amount of snow and discharges the snow that enters the impeller at a very high speed.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-09-2019, 03:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 22
Likes (Received): 206
Leonz

I believe that on a v-belt drive system, I think that the further the drive wheel is from the center, the faster that the machine will move. At least that is how I think my snow caster operates. I am sure it was probably just a typo on your part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page