LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 09-15-2019, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Buying a new snow blower possibly EFI

Hello, I live in North Jersey. Some seasons I get zero snow, other times we will get 10 feet plus. I have lived here for 16 years. This would be my 3rd snow blower. My property is quite small, driveway 40 feet x 16 feet, 112 feet of sidewalk. I help out my neighbors and my youthful self can’t do what I used to. My town goes curb to curb and the aprons of the driveway have been my specialty, I do 6 of them. Also from the plow, the snow in the road winds up on the sidewalk, so the snow gets heavy. Because I have a small property, I have to be very creative as to where the snow winds up, can’t go back in the street. I started with a 24” Craftsman that gave me nothing but trouble. My most recent machine was a 27” Husqvara that I paid 1/2 price because we had no snow the prior year. Great machine but the aprons and the heavier snow seemed a bit hard.
I’m looking at either Ariens 24 inch Platinum 369cc EFI for $1,899 or 28 in Professional 420cc EFI for $2,899. I know this is new technology but from certain reviews I have read, these machines would be like a hot knife on butter.
I am not worried about the difference in cost, I’m concerned about reliability. I take great care in my equipment and have them serviced every other year.
So my question, will I be in snow blower paradise or will I replace this new unit in a few years. BTW I have already sold my prior machine. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-15-2019, 11:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 158
Some of the members have had problems with the EFI machines and most of the dealers do not
have the computer analysis equipment yet as its very expensive to buy.

I would invest in a Toro1428OXE as it has the patented anticlog system for all the heavy snow
with melting ice and rock salt.

I have had Toros for 41 years and never had a reliability problem with them.

I would hold off on the EFI Ariens as its new and EFI repairs are very expensive in general and you
need a big snow mule with plenty of torque and having the anticlog feature will help you a lot when
clearing deep snows from ocean generated storms.

All you need is to change out the smaller fuel jets for the larger ones to make it even more powerful
and snow hungry.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gibbs296 liked this post
post #3 of 17 Old 09-16-2019, 11:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
The mechanics at my neighborhood Ariens dealer have the expertise to fix the EFI, but if you corner them outside of the showroom, they advise not to buy one. The new OHV engines with carbs are easy to fix and maintain, start good, and cheap to fix.....no so with the EFI
post #4 of 17 Old 09-16-2019, 11:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 55
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 204
Likes (Received): 123
Garage
I almost bought the Ariens EFI system and then decided that Honda engines always start and run even in the extreme cold. I upgraded to the Honda with a carburetor. It starts every time, even after sitting for 9 months. This is a machine that I will use for 20 years so the extra cost is minimal per year kept.
Note: I do keep it filled with non-ethanol stabilized gas.

Honda HSS928AWD (upgraded chute, transmission)
Honda HS720AS (at sister's)
Honda EU2000i (generator)

Last edited by Miles; 09-16-2019 at 11:24 AM.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-16-2019, 11:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 45
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 349
Likes (Received): 161
Ariens own test data supports your hot knife through butter statement with EFI.https://www.ariens.com/en-us/efi-ez-launch

For me I'd want to have a dealer that is embracing EFI and would consider EFI no issue to service before I'd buy one. Any dealership that sells and services equipment for professional landscape contractors should have zero problems with servicing EFI machines.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #6 of 17 Old 09-16-2019, 12:07 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonz View Post
Some of the members have had problems with the EFI machines and most of the dealers do not
have the computer analysis equipment yet as its very expensive to buy.

I would invest in a Toro1428OXE as it has the patented anticlog system for all the heavy snow
with melting ice and rock salt.

I have had Toros for 41 years and never had a reliability problem with them.

I would hold off on the EFI Ariens as its new and EFI repairs are very expensive in general and you
need a big snow mule with plenty of torque and having the anticlog feature will help you a lot when
clearing deep snows from ocean generated storms.

All you need is to change out the smaller fuel jets for the larger ones to make it even more powerful
and snow hungry.

For what it's worth, the factory manuals for the 369 EFI engine show no service tools beyond a voltmeter and hand tools - I think anyone that claims that the need some fancy diagnostic unit is simply masking their unwillingness to learn the new stuff. Some big tractor engines need those, but the Ariens system is just too **** simple to support that level of interface.

Having said that, I do agree that dealer support is the big issue here . . . and a lot don't seem to be bothering, or their techs can't be bothered to read the manual. The system really is bonehead simple *if* you are comfortable with electronics, and I really feel has far greater potential for being trouble free than all the moving parts and potential gumup points in a carb.

The good news is that there is a choice! Determine what is most important to you, and buy accordingly . . .

- Tim
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Zavie liked this post
post #7 of 17 Old 09-16-2019, 03:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
My guy at the Ariens dealership is factory trained in EFI, and has all the diagnostic equipment....the code reader alone is $1500. He can fix them...and will, but when it fails it is expensive...He told me that that is the plan, make machines that HAVE to go back to the dealer for service. Not me...sticking to the tried and true 924 series...
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Hanky thanked for this post
Likes Jackmels liked this post
post #8 of 17 Old 09-16-2019, 04:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 45
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 349
Likes (Received): 161
Here is the service guide, EFI begins on page 69:https://www.snowblowersdirect.com/ma...8543a2589d.pdf

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #9 of 17 Old 09-16-2019, 05:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I just read it...looks like a real PIA to diagnose and service.....OK if you are a master tec at the dealership, you should be able to service.....at what cost? do you think those sensors and components are cheap? Can't buy aftermarket. I'm of the thought that a Tec with a $12 aftermarket carb, or a $99 Predator is the cheapest most reliable way to blow snow with an Ariens. I personally don't care about economy, emissions or if it starts with a third of a pull. We all have different priorities, so if some one thinks this is the way to go.....sweet.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Hanky, gibbs296 liked this post
post #10 of 17 Old 09-16-2019, 05:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1142
ALOHA From The Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page