Snowblower Forum banner

New Member From Winnipeg

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Clutch Cargo 
#1 ·
Hi all. My name is Bill, old guy but first time snow blower owner. Having some heart issues so bought a 24" Cub Cadet 3 stage with power steering a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, winter has arrived about a month early up here. Did my driveway yesterday and a neighbour's this morning. When I finished I noticed a shear pin broken from the front (3rd) stage. Replaced it, but I've been wondering when it broke. Since the main stage keeps working, it was still blowing snow. Because you have to be behind the machine to operate the lever for the augers, how can I tell if that front stage is out while the machine is running? I mean, short of using a mirror or locking the auger control down with something. I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but thanks for putting up with a newbie's question.:wink2:

#4 ·
Only one side was inop so you still were moving 50 % of the snow..just not as efficiently as if both sides were working.. one can usually tell a shear pin has gone since the snow is being pushed aside of the disabled side rather that blown away.. dont worry about it.. you'll get the hnack of it soon..
It's obvious something is wrong when you are talking deeper snow.. the 6 inches of slop we just got is a pia.. remember to slow down in the heavy stuff or it'll ne like blowing Thanksgiving mashed potatoes ;)
Cheers from Kenora

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Thanks for that reply. Yep, I was definitely blowing mashed potatoes on Friday.:smile2: Guess it was mostly rain where you are? I'm on the east side of the city, my daughter lives about 8 kms west of me and got double the snow that I did. Mine is a 3 stage so the 'centre front' auger was the one with the broken pin, the horizontal auger was fine. 4 shear pins on this one all together.

#8 ·
You will get the hang of it after a short while...... you will know when a shear pin lets go.

LOL, ... I have many snowblowers, and basically just do my own ... if a shear pin breaks on me, I just park it and grab another, and fix it in the warm shop.

When I did driveways, I used to wear a waist pouch with shear pins, roll pins and wrenches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.