Snowblower Forum banner

honda hs1132 drive issue

6K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  FINVETTE 
#1 ·
hi everyone
just bought an older hs1132 snow blower that runs fine but does not move thinking it was the pin in the transmission.
after opening it up the pin is still intact.what else should I look for as the machine itself is in great shape.

#2 ·
"A stationary snowblower is pretty alarming, but many causes of this problem can be easily identified and corrected. First and foremost, check the snowblower’s level of hydrostatic transmission fluid. Low fluid will cause the equipment to be largely immobile until the issue is resolved. It’s also worth checking the transmission lever’s position, since it will immobilize the snowblower if set to “released” or “neutral.”
If these fixes don’t produce results, then the snowblower might be suffering from damage to the drive belt or drive clutch lever."

I also recall this being discussed awhile back her in this forum, just do a search.

#3 ·
agree.

Always go from simplest on up.

check belt as it may be broke ( take off belt cover to inspect belt and cable action )
check cable to be sure not broke and engaging belt
check drive wheel pins. unusual for both to be broke off but it could happen
check hydro-static oil
check engaged / released lever to be sure it is in engaged position. watch the action to see that the shaft is actually moving in and out of tranny.if the clip breaks or falls off it will not move that shaft

if everything checks out you may have air bubbles in the hydrostatic tranny and it will have to be bled and refilled. check the seals on the tranny drive shaft and make sure they haven't pushed out causing a leak of oil.

this is all assuming that your right side gearbox is working correcting. even if the pin is intact if the bushings are worn the gears may not be engaging or if teeth are broken on gears. most time this is obvious because you hear noises or it will still drive but be jerky.

my guess from experience is that it may be a simple fix as listed above ( optimistic )

please check back if you find problem. have seen almost every scenario listed many times

Reactions: FINVETTE
#5 ·
I have checked the simple stuff first with no luck that’s when I went deeper into the problem to the “PIN” as I figured that was my issue but now I am at a total loss as to what it could be. When I put in gear an pull drive lever I kind of hear a humming but that could just be the belt engaging.

#6 ·
I assume you checked belt and other stuff we listed?

where you at.? I'll fly in to look at it for a case of beer. seriously ,if you checked everything then perhaps a member here can come look at it.

what I would do next is tie down the drive handle and look underneath to see if the drive axle is turning. if so then you have a problem in the right side gearbox. that is assuming the belt is turning and engaged , the lever is in engaged position. the engaged lever is actually moving the shaft in and out of tranny , there are no air bubbles in hydro-static tranny and everything else listed was checked. the reservoir has oil?

#7 ·
released/ engaged lever in the middle of first plate is the lever. in this picture it is in the released position. I'm sorry if you know all these things already but you are new and I don't know what you know so I go thru all the things to check from simple on upward.

I have spoken to people who have had Honda's for 10-15 years or more that did not know this lever existed.

Attachments

Reactions: FINVETTE
#8 ·
hey guys
I live in St John's Newfoundland Canada I already have a hs828 so I know about the lever, I have looked at it to make sure the shaft moves back and forth as I flick the lever from released to engaged I also noticed in the transmission that the spline on the output shaft seemed a little worn but all the gears themselves seem to mesh ok, I am going to add a washer to the outside of the output shaft gear to keep it tight on the shaft and put back together to see if that was the culprit I can take some pics tonight if that will help with diagnosis. what are the chances that the actual hydrostatic part is shot?

thanks again
Kevin

#9 ·
yes. it's possible.if you tied down the drive handle and the outshaft from the hydro is not moving then perhaps it has air bubbles in it ( even if there is oil in reservoir )
I would check the seals to see if one is pushed out and maybe leaking.

I would put the blower in service position , up on bucket , and remove the drain plug on hydro to see if full of oil. maybe it needs to be bled of air.

I don't know . I had a guy who took the whole right side gearbox apart and when I arrived at his house we did this and one of the seals was pushed out and it was low oil in the tranny. The previous owner had just filled the reservoir because it was empty.There was air in system. We pushed in the seal ( probably pushed out cause cap on reservoir was too tight causing excess pressure ) put the gearbox back together and it worked again.

If your have the gearbox apart , you are right , maybe the gears are not meshing ( assuming the axle pin is intact ) and the tranny shaft was moving with drive handle clamped down . Usually when I pull an old gearbox apart the plastic bushings are worn out or a washer is missing and there is too much play. However , usually there is still some meshing in this case and you hear noises or jerking in the gearbox.

Attachments

#10 ·
I never tried to see if the shaft was turning before I took the side apart I think I will check the fluid for air and put back together and fire it up to see if the shaft turns. if it doesn't turn and I have confirmed that the system is free of air the hydro is most likely toast?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.