LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 11-13-2019, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Hello from Northern NJ

Just retired a 16 year old Murray 24 inch 2 Stage snowblower (Northern Tool and Equipment Branded) with OHV engine (Tecumseh Snow King). The Engine still starts on one or two pulls. However, the auger and impeller housing were rusting through severly , and I did not want to bother with all the welding and parts needed to bring it back up to snuff. So time for a new blower. My first instinct was to go "cheap" as I am overly frugal at times. After research, this site was very helpful, I decided to get a better model. I am getting older, and fighting the blower to steer was a concern. So I was limiting my choices to those with power steering. While we do OFTEN get deep snow in my area, we have had as much as 36 inch with drifts deeper. My driveway is narrow, and I need to maneuver around my car, so 24 inch is the width for me.

I decided to go quality, so I ended up getting the Ariens Deluxe 24. Hopefully I made the right decision. The Auto-steering, high quality metal construction, and largest engine in its class helped me decide. Funny how all the snowblowers are only made by a couple of manufacturing plants, yet there is some real differences in the units.

So I am looking forward to keeping track of trends and issues here.

Richard

Last edited by chumley54; 11-17-2019 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Mispeling :)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes knu2xs liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-13-2019, 01:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Richard,

Im from the north coast of BC, some odd years we get HUGE dumps of snow....YAY! I have a MTD 30" and last year an Ariens 24" with a 250 or something or other. They where sold out of the model 24 with a big ass engine RATS! Do I understand you have the large engine version? Wanna trade??? Har Har.

Geez, just mild temps and warm rain...what a drag.

Dave
post #3 of 15 Old 11-13-2019, 01:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 132
Thanks (Received): 122
Likes (Given): 284
Likes (Received): 144
Hello Richard & a big WELCOME ABOARD from Michigan!

Nice intro!!

Go left.....No, your other left!
post #4 of 15 Old 11-14-2019, 12:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 507
Thanks (Received): 355
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1243
ALOHA From The Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 15 Old 11-15-2019, 09:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 119
Likes (Received): 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley54 View Post
Just retired a 16 year old Murray 24 inch @ Stage snowblower (Northern Tool and Equipment Branded) with OHV engine (Tecumseh Snow King). The Engine still starts on one or two pulls. However, the auger and impeller housing were rusting through severly , and I did not want to bother with all the welding and parts needed to bring it back up to snuff. So time for a new blower. My first instinct was to go "cheap" as I am overly frugal at times. After research, this site was very helpful, I decided to get a better model. I am getting older, and fighting the blower to steer was a concern. So I was limiting my choices to those with power steering. While we do OFTEN get deep snow in my area, we have had as much as 36 inch with drifts deeper. My driveway is narrow, and I need to maneuver around my car, so 24 inch is the width for me.

I decided to go quality, so I ended up getting the Ariens Deluxe 24. Hopefully I made the right decision. The Auto-steering, high quality metal construction, and largest engine in its class helped me decide. Funny how all the snowblowers are only made by a couple of manufacturing plants, yet there is some real differences in the units.

So I am looking forward to keeping track of trends and issues here.

Richard
hello from another former and soon to be again jersey guy.grew up in bergen county moved to sussex county in 1987 to south carolina last year and now moving back to sussex county,near the ski area . wish you luck with the ariens hopefully it's better than my now 2 year old toro powermax 38801 that looks like a total rust bucket with only 12 hours of use on it.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-15-2019, 08:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 63
Welcome aboard.

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28
Previous Machines:
1995 Yard-White-Bilt 8/26 Frankenblower
1980 Toro 826
1981 Toro 3521
post #7 of 15 Old 11-16-2019, 03:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 91
Thanks (Received): 96
Likes (Given): 164
Likes (Received): 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87powershiftx2 View Post
hello from another former and soon to be again jersey guy.grew up in bergen county moved to sussex county in 1987 to south carolina last year and now moving back to sussex county,near the ski area . wish you luck with the ariens hopefully it's better than my now 2 year old toro powermax 38801 that looks like a total rust bucket with only 12 hours of use on it.
You're about an hour up the road and across the river from me.
We ride up to High Point a lot when the weather is decent. Nice back-roads up in your area.
Welcome back to one of the lowest gasoline tax in the nation, but the highest property tax area again.

Last edited by ST1100A; 11-16-2019 at 03:52 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 87powershiftx2 liked this post
post #8 of 15 Old 11-16-2019, 07:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1100A View Post
You're about an hour up the road and across the river from me.
We ride up to High Point a lot when the weather is decent. Nice back-roads up in your area.
Welcome back to one of the lowest gasoline tax in the nation, but the highest property tax area again.
and back to driving to wurtsboro ny for ethanol free gas for the machines,
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ST1100A thanked for this post
post #9 of 15 Old 11-16-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87powershiftx2 View Post
and back to driving to wurtsboro ny for ethanol free gas for the machines,
Is that the Stewarts Shop that has the gas? I have been thinking of loading up my 5 gas cans and using the E0 gas. I started using the tru-fuel in my weed whacker and it runs better than ever. (I replaced the fuel lines twice when using E10 as the line brittle up and break, and the residue parks itself in the carbs).

Wurtsboro is 45 miles from me. I used to work in Rock Hill in the 70's so I know exactly where that is.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-17-2019, 04:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley54 View Post
Is that the Stewarts Shop that has the gas? I have been thinking of loading up my 5 gas cans and using the E0 gas. I started using the tru-fuel in my weed whacker and it runs better than ever. (I replaced the fuel lines twice when using E10 as the line brittle up and break, and the residue parks itself in the carbs).

Wurtsboro is 45 miles from me. I used to work in Rock Hill in the 70's so I know exactly where that is.
YES! it was and will again be 40 mile each way drive, rt 17 north to exit 113 top of ramp, right turn drive to the light station is on the far left corner . looked up and saw someone posted a week or so back at $3.29 a gallon for 91 grade E FREE . well worth the trip which at least has some nice views. if you ride, heck get off at 114 stop at the harley dealer which i now understand is the closest to sussex county with tramomtins in hope,nj closed up via retirement , old bob sold the franchise back to harley so that won't be again with new owners .

Last edited by 87powershiftx2; 11-17-2019 at 04:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page