LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 06-23-2016, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Recommendation for decent home chainsaw

Any thoughts for a decent home saw. Keeping in mind I don't make a living and likely this will sit for most of the year. I had an old poulan but seemed didn't matter what I did before it sat for a while it would never start and always needed tinkering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-23-2016, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 362
Likes (Given): 152
Likes (Received): 804
I have owned a light-duty *electric* chain saw for many years..
I need a chainsaw perhaps 5 to 8 times a decade.. for that kind of very limited use, a plug-in saw is a lot more convenient than a gas engine..It can easily handle up to 6" diameter branches without any problem.

I dont recall the brand name (im at work right now) but I can get the name if you are interested..It has served me well, never a problem.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old 06-23-2016, 03:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
Another option for limited use is a rental. It costs like $40 to rent one for a day from Home Depot. Mine is a Sears (Poulan I think) I got out of the garbage and it works fine for what I do with it. Echo and Stihl are both popular.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #4 of 27 Old 06-23-2016, 03:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 279
Amen - a good used Echo or Jonsered would be my choice over a Stihl if you can find a nice used one reasonable. Rental is not a bad way to go either..... or borrow one from a neighbor/Buddy and offer up something in return

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

post #5 of 27 Old 06-23-2016, 06:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 467
Likes (Received): 479
What size logs would you likely be cutting with it. My brand choices are Stihl and Husqvarna in their respective order.
post #6 of 27 Old 06-23-2016, 06:36 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 303
My dad has a cheapo Remington electric he bought at Walmart I think. I was bashing him for getting electric, but it's really very useful. They have several large trees that drop branches all year with storms and it handles everything fine. He's in his 80's now and can still use it. No hard to start, no mixing fuel. Can sit forever and not need attention. I think it was $50. The only thing I don't like is the cord. Battery operated would be the best, BUT..... I hate rechargeable batteries because they seem to be as problematic as carbs and they always seem to update/discontinue and you now have a tool that is useless without the correct battery. I have an Echo CS 300 or 310 gas that i think was about $175 that I love. Little fella with a 14" bar. Engine runs great I've used it to do landscape timbers, deck posts, annoying brush, great little saw IMO.

edit, looked again at my dad's and it's a Wagner (like the airless paint sprayer company) not Remington.

Last edited by jtclays; 06-25-2016 at 12:31 PM.
post #7 of 27 Old 06-23-2016, 07:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 159
Thanks (Received): 295
Likes (Given): 390
Likes (Received): 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
My dad has a cheapo Remington electric he bought at Walmart I think. I was bashing him for getting electric, but it's really very useful. They have several large trees that drop branches all year with storms and it handles everything fine. He's in his 80's now and can still use it. No hard to start, no mixing fuel. Can sit forever and not need attention. I think it was $50. The only thing I don't like is the cord. Battery operated would be the best, BUT..... I hate rechargeable batteries because they seem to be as problematic as carbs and they always seem to update/discontinue and you now have a tool that is useless without the correct battery. I have an Echo CS 300 or 310 gas that i think was about $175 that I love. Little fella with a 14" bar. Engine runs great I've used it to do landscape timbers, deck posts, annoying brush, great little saw IMO.
I have this same saw. Great little wood butcher. I can leave it sitting for a season and it never fails to start right up. Plenty of power and easyy to handle.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #8 of 27 Old 06-24-2016, 10:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 262
Electrical isn't always practical. (outlet not nearby) I recommend Stihl or Echo. Stihl would be my first choice. They are considered the best in the industry.
post #9 of 27 Old 06-25-2016, 11:44 AM
wdb

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 69
Even if you don't use it often, if you have to cut large stuff when you *do* use it I would recommend a gas powered unit. Beyond that I'd let my budget do the talking. With one caveat: don't buy anything more than 20 or so years old. The older saws were heavy and hard to handle.

We had a cheap thing we bought at Sam's Club that lasted 20+ years until the rubber bits disintegrated. My wife spoiled me with a new Stihl that has a spring-assist rope pull option that makes it a dream to start. Swapping chains is a cinch too, I can do it without tools. Either one of them did a fine job cutting for my occasional use, including the bigger stuff I sometines encounter. Both have/had 16" bars.
post #10 of 27 Old 06-25-2016, 06:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 75
Thanks (Received): 183
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 630
I've had the same Husky 266 since 1980, and have 400 cord of wood on it...still going strong....the trick is to get the XP model....not the Lowe's homeowner model. All Echo's are good as well as Sthil.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jrom liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page