Predator engine surging on my john deere snow blower - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 12-30-2016, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 5
Smile Predator engine surging on my john deere snow blower

Hi I repowered my John Deere 1032 snow blower with a 420 CC item 69736 Predator engine from H.F. I did all the rework including new motor base plate, bigger pulleys and belt guard. The problem I am having is the engine surges at mid range and full throttle. When the engine is warmed up and running under load or no load it surges at full throttle and mid range throttle. The engine is 4 years old. I did a few things to the engine. First, I purchased 2 gallons of new gas and mixed in 4 oz of sea foam. Second, I drained the Predator fuel tank of old gas and poured in the new fuel mixture. Third, I disassembled the carburetor, fuel bowl, removed float and needle seat, removed main jet. Fourth, I proceeded to spray carb with carburetor cleaner in the holes and openings that I could see ( fuel bowl was really clean so was carb). Fifth, reassembled cleaned carburetor. Sixth, started engine with the sea foam mixture, however still had the surging problem. Seventh, I then proceeded to pour sea foam in the intake while the engine was running. Eighth I opened up the choke about an 1/8 to a 1/4 and surging almost totally went away. Finally the engine still surges but not as bad as before all this work was done. called H.F. They where no help at all. Oh by the way This is a non adjustable carburetor. There are two brass plugs in the carburetor castings. could be adjustments screws behind brass plugs? Well I am not sure where to go from here? Thanks P.s. modifying blower to have lights and two electric power chutes and electric start. I live in CT. Thanks Aypsears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-30-2016, 01:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
The engine is jetted stock to run at summer temperatures and I would suggest moving up 1 jet size or enlarging the jet slightly with a drill bit or a torch tip cleaner until the surging goes away. I have 2 Predator 212cc engines on snowblowers and I enlarged both of the jets on them so that they run well with no choke on at tempertures colder than 32 F.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #3 of 21 Old 12-30-2016, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 5
Hi Thanks for the tip. Is there a bigger main orifice and main nozzle for sale? if not what size drill to use thanks aypsears
post #4 of 21 Old 12-30-2016, 09:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 83
Re Jetting

GMorning AypSears, I found the site Affordable Go Karts.com that has jet kits, assortments and how-to video's. There are sooooo many variations, that it may be misleading to suggest a size to punch out the jet you have. The best way is working live on the machine, trial and error. The site is the real deal, informative and has many upgrades available. Worth checking out. GLuck, J
post #5 of 21 Old 12-30-2016, 09:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Yeah - if it runs better when you choke it some - she's running to lean. You can buy very small drill bits at harbor freight...... just work your way up in small changes.

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 Old 12-30-2016, 10:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
If you don't want to tackle rejetting, it's perfectly acceptable to apply a little choke on the airflow side. If your surging stops, you have adequately corrected the air mixture problem. What you don't want to do is run a lean mix engine at full throttle. If, on the other hand, added choke results in a drop in rpm's or a loss of owner, you will have to try the jet route. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
post #7 of 21 Old 12-30-2016, 10:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 64
Likes (Given): 204
Likes (Received): 139
Larger jets are available on eBay for $6 with shipping, search for "[.xxx] clone jet" with xxx being the size. For example, ".032 clone jet"

The factory jets on the Predator 212CCs are believed to be .028. I've run .032 jets with the air cleaner removed with good results (I've also used the adjustable jet).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by db130; 12-30-2016 at 10:49 AM.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-30-2016, 06:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Received): 43
I've even had them hunt, with the jet drilled out to .032. I had to go to .034, to get the hunting to stop.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #9 of 21 Old 12-30-2016, 06:36 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Do you have a pic of the carb? I know they used several suppliers and some guys cut into the casting to get at the idle circuit jet. Could just buy a Honda aftermarket carb or OEM and see if it changes. "Some" OEM Honda carbs are very reasonable.
post #10 of 21 Old 12-30-2016, 07:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 197
Likes (Received): 283
The replacement carb in the photos HEREshow an adjustment screw. Probably just idle mixture based on the location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page