simplicity 1732 repower electrical Question - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-31-2016, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
simplicity 1732 repower electrical Question

Hi all, I am new to the forum so thanks in advance for any help!
I have a simplicity 1732p signature with heated grips, electric chute control and a light. The motor recently gave up and I ordered a replacement that I thought would be the exact same motor (16.5 briggs pro) everything bolted up perfectly but the alternator output is different than the original. From the research I have done on this site it seems my original motor (model 21m414) had a 5 or 9 amp regulated alternator. The new motor (model 21m314) shows 12v ac on my voltmeter (it has a white connector with black and red wire red wire shows 12vac)
Now I am trying to figure out how to get power back to all of the electronic goodies. I should have done more research before purchasing this motor but it has been snowing a bunch here in Idaho and I jumped to get one coming
I could survive without the light and heated grips but not being able to move the chute is a real problem lol
I have already found a lot of useful info on this site and hope that someone has been down this road and can help
Thanks BK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-31-2016, 05:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 109
The process might be time time consuming depending on your skill level and tool inventory. But you will most likely have to swap over the the flywheel amd coil and all connectors over to the new motor. It should all fit, the blocks itself don't change over to often. If you don't have the time in between snow falls, see if the plug you have is enough to just control the shoot. If not you can probably make it charge a Lawn tractor battery and have that battery power the chute motor. Good luck

74 Ariens 832
8? FMC Bolens 824
02 White 4x4 Snow Boss
90 Lawn Boy ST320
88 Honda 300FW w/plow
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Chopslide thanked for this post
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #3 of 13 Old 12-31-2016, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
thanks for the help I didnt think of that solution after reading quite a few posts about led lights and rectifiers and such I was wondering if someone was going to chime in on going that route. I wonder If there is enough power in the ac to change over to dc and still power the accessories
post #4 of 13 Old 12-31-2016, 08:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 109
Also don't be surprised if you take off the covers and or flywheel and find additional wires or parts. Manufacturers are known to have some engines ready for upgrades. Meaning some low cost parts for the alternator might be already installed. Magnets on flywheel ECT. Might get lucky. I highly doubt you will have enough dc power to run everything for a long time. YouTube the process it is not too bad to changeover. You have all the parts you need. Just take pictures for reference.

74 Ariens 832
8? FMC Bolens 824
02 White 4x4 Snow Boss
90 Lawn Boy ST320
88 Honda 300FW w/plow
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #5 of 13 Old 12-31-2016, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
thanks again, I have a moderate skill level but like to tinker and electronics always seem simple and get complex pretty quick. I will be heading out of town but when I return i will dive in and see what I can break
post #6 of 13 Old 01-01-2017, 12:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 294
The alternators on all small machines produce AC current. A rectifier module is used to make dv voltage, but it's usually only for small draws like charging a battery. I'm pretty sure your electrical goodies run on AC current. The service manual for that engine or machine should show an electrical diagram that will tell you what's what.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #7 of 13 Old 01-01-2017, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for that drmerdp, I will continue to research and see if the accessories run of ac or dc . I did take a look around the interweb for a service manual but found they all want a email before download and I am a little leery of giving that out seeing as I have been badly spammed before
post #8 of 13 Old 01-17-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I have had some time to tinker and installed the rectifier that was on the old engine and am now able to rotate the chute although it is quite a bit slower than it was with the old engine My voltmeter shows around 4vdc at full throttle. I am wondering if I could install a different rectifier to get more dc volts and get things working more like they used to. I also now don't have any heat in the handwarmers with the reduced voltage.
Thanks to all the folks that helped out hopefully I can learn more as I go and get this machine dialed in
post #9 of 13 Old 01-17-2017, 09:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Get experience by removing flywheel and electrical parts behind it from old engine , take pics for reference . Check if this will give you all the connections that are required . Compare these to the new engine and install if they are same size . Measure what you can from old to new before disassembling new engine .
post #10 of 13 Old 01-25-2017, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
update

Well, I have taken the flywheel off of the old engine and it looks to be a 5 amp regulated system from all of the good info I found on this site. I am not sure if I can get all of the parts off of the new one with it installed so I will probably wait for a break in the weather before I try to break a perfectly good setup and try to get all of the goodies running by swapping out things
thanks to all I will post pictures as soon as I can figure that out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page