Need help on Briggs 8hp mounting bolt spacing - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-02-2017, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 23
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 5
Need help on Briggs 8hp mounting bolt spacing

I just picked up a toro 826 with a Briggs 8hp 190402 engine on it. The carburetor needs to be rebuilt, which is no big deal, but I'm considering updating to a more modern engine like the predator.

I'm away from home for a couple of days, but close to a harbor freight store. It sounds like the 6.5hp 212 would probably be fine for this blower, but I'm also thinking about the larger 8hp predator.

First question is which one (if either) has the same mounting bolt spacing as the original Briggs. If I was home I'd just go to the garage and measure, but I'm not. If anybody knows which predator matches my current engine, or has the measurements of my Briggs mounting holes I'd appreciate it. Along with any other advice on the swap.

I'm not positive what I'm going to do, because a part of me says keep the Briggs on it and fix the carburetor. However, my kids have a go cart with the predator 212. It's so much quieter, smoother running and more powerful than the original Tecumseh that I'm tempted to make the swap on the blower as well.

Thanks in advance.

Rack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-02-2017, 03:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
I do not know about the Briggs, but on Honda and Tecumseh, the footprint for the 8hp engine is about 1 1/2" or so further back than the smaller engines including the 212 Predator.
On this picture the studs are for 8hp and larger while the most forward holes are for the smaller engines.

The predator 301cc should be a direct bolt on, but is a lot more expensive than the 212cc.

You can always move the engine mounting location and install a Predator 212cc.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks rack thanked for this post
post #3 of 9 Old 01-02-2017, 03:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1115
1 question WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?????? unless there is something catastrophic wrong with that BRIGGS. replace what needs replacing. and run it because it will dig you out and dig you out FAST!!!!!! and that is all the more I am saying on THIS 1...

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #4 of 9 Old 01-02-2017, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I knew you would say that powershift! Lol. I've seen your comments in other threads on this topic. I understand what you're saying. I'm just looking at options. I wrote in my other thread that the Briggs was a big reason I wanted this particular blower.

The main draw for me are 2 things. Quieter and smoother running. What dollar amount to associate with that I don't know.

This might make you feel better though, Part of my intent with this was to hopefully get the motor that fits my chassis without drilling holes. Maybe fab up a belt cover, source correct belts and be done for the winter. Then I'd actually like to go through my Briggs and give it a freshening up this summer when it's nice and warm. Then use the predator as a repower on an old snapper roto-tiller or on a log splitter.

I just wish a new ohv Briggs wasn't so expensive. Because I really do like the new engine running qualities, and dislike that everything is made in China. Of course, even some of the Briggs are imports now.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-02-2017, 04:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
If you do the 8hp Predator you'll likely be able to use the same engine mounting holes/studs, pulleys, belts and belt cover.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #6 of 9 Old 01-02-2017, 06:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1631
Likes (Received): 571
even though it is a bit noisy the briggs will run just fine. if you go with the 212 the shaft is too small for your pulleys and you'll have to sleeve them and possably move the motor. the 301 should be a direct swap but you'll loose your electric start

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #7 of 9 Old 01-02-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
If the 212 would have bolted right on, I would have really thought about going for the predator today. The more I think about it the 8 horse predator isn't really worth the extra money, and probably won't fit the tiller I'm planning on getting a motor for this summer.

I've decided I'm going to get the Briggs running good for this winter and give it some attention when summer comes.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-02-2017, 07:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 12
I looked at both the 212, and 301 at HF. The bolt pattern on the 301 is wider than the 212. I went with the 212, as that bolt pattern is the same as my Ariens, TEC 8HP chassis. I'm not sure if the 301 might be too wide, ( bolt holes would be very close to edge of chassis) and I would have to drill new holes.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Shaw351 liked this post
post #9 of 9 Old 01-02-2017, 09:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I have an Ariens 10000 series 724 (7hp engine), I replaced the engine with a Predator 212cc, I had to install longer studs but the bolt pattern was the same. Later I replaced the 212 engine with an 8hp Tecumseh engine and I had to open new mounting holes about 1-1/2" further back, that's how I know they are different. On Honda engines is exactly the same.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Shaw351 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page