LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-15-2017, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
Tractor Belt slippin under load

I am in my 3rd year of using my Predator repower and decided to install the original friction plate pulley (~5.75 dia) to speed up the tractor drive. I felt my speed options were too slow with the 8" friction plate pulley and a 2.5" top pulley.

I am now happy with the tractor speed options but the belt is slipping under load. I did install a new 3L belt from Tractor Supply. I modified the tensioner so it is tight but it will still slip around the top pulley while under a normal to slightly higher than normal load. I did change the top pulley from a 2.5 to a 2" diameter to get a suitable wheel speed.

To solve this I am thinking of going with a Kevlar belt and possibly go back to the 2.5" pulley so I have more surface contacting the belt. Is my thought process sound?
I was gong to try some belt dressing but that is only a band aid and will wear off fast enough. Plus my can would not spray!

Am I missing anything? Any other thoughts?
Thanks!

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-15-2017, 05:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 155
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 544
I would hazard a guess it has less to do with gear ratio and more to the belt not matching the pulley enough....
post #3 of 11 Old 02-15-2017, 06:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
I would hazard a guess it has less to do with gear ratio and more to the belt not matching the pulley enough....
Thats what i am thinking too. May be the belt you bought is not wide enough

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #4 of 11 Old 02-15-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
The friction plate pulley can only work with a 3L (3/8) belt. So I am stuck with that width. The top pulley can accommodate both a 3L and 4L belt. Do you mean the belt does not have enough surface contact with pulley?

If I go back to the 2.5" dia pulley I will pick up about an additional .75"-1" of contact.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Last edited by Toro-8-2-4; 02-15-2017 at 09:01 PM. Reason: clarity
post #5 of 11 Old 02-15-2017, 09:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
You might try getting a slightly shorter (1/2" to 1") belt. If you are using a smaller pulley, the belt may not be getting enough tension from the idler, even when its tension is set to the max.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #6 of 11 Old 02-15-2017, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
You might try getting a slightly shorter (1/2" to 1") belt. If you are using a smaller pulley, the belt may not be getting enough tension from the idler, even when its tension is set to the max.
That is a thought I have been having. The only issues is a one inch shorter belt is near impossible to get on. 1/2 inch shorter would be great, but not available.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

post #7 of 11 Old 02-16-2017, 05:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 26
You could check to see if the pulley is grooved or dished on the inside and causing the belt to bottom out on the pulley and therefore not being wedged properly on the sides to transmit torque. One indication of this is if the belt rides below the top of the pulley.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-19-2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cat View Post
You could check to see if the pulley is grooved or dished on the inside and causing the belt to bottom out on the pulley and therefore not being wedged properly on the sides to transmit torque. One indication of this is if the belt rides below the top of the pulley.
You were right on! I removed the pulley and could see from the worn off paint that the belt was bottoming out. I had an AK20 pulley on there and it seems the depth clearance for the 3L belt is not very much. A little bit of belt wear and it bottoms.

I was looking for a Pheonix welded steel pulley and can't seem find one with a 3/4 bore and 2 inch od, or even a 2.25 od. Smallest they have in that bore size is a 2.5 OD which is what I put on for now. It has plenty of clearance before the belt will bottom. I like its overall design but it is a bit too fast for my set up.

Any recommendations on where I can get a decent Pulley for a 3L (3/8) belt, 3/4 bore and about 2" OD?

Before anyone suggests I can't use a 1/2 belt as it will not fit propperly with the friction plate pulley. It will not sit fully in the v groove. I think it would create premature wear issue on the belt if tried.

Thanks!

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

post #9 of 11 Old 02-19-2017, 10:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
I'd be searching belt lengths from different manufacturers rather than a specific belt #. Though many belt #s cross reference over, the belt lengths will vary. Then when you get the belt, measure it, the actual belt length may be different than the sleeve, belt markings, or their advertised length.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-19-2017, 12:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
You could try and approach this from a slightly different angle. Are you able to adjust the friction wheel assembly position?

My machine has an adjustment in the control rod from the control panel that allows changing the position of the friction wheel where it contacts the friction plate. The adjustment allows about 1 inch of adjustment so that in a particular speed notch on the lever, I can have the friction disk +/- 1 inch in different areas of the friction plate.

The only downside is that if you slow down forward speeds, you speed up reverse speeds. If you move the wheel closer to the centre of the aluminum plate, speed will be slower.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page