LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 06-17-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 12
Question Belt Finger Adjustment

Just finished my first Predator 212 engine swap. This is on an Ariens 10000 series. It is up and running. I am unsure about how to properly adjust the drive belt fingers. (It only has one belt) How close to the belt should I align them? I have them adjusted now so that when I disengage the drive, only the PTO pulley is turning. Is this correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-17-2017, 09:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 33
Likes (Received): 158
Garage
When disengaged only the engine pulley should turn.
How i adjust them is this way.....

First i adjust the idler pulley to have no slack against the belt when handle / lever is halfway engaged, if you have too much tension on belt when fully engaged it will wear prematurely.

Once thats adjusted properly i start on the finger alignment. When looking at the engine pulley from the bucket side with the belt engaged i adjust the right one ( Which is the longer finger of the two, measured from the bolt hole ring to the 90 degree Bend ) to have about 1/8 to 3/16 gap, then on the left finger i have it with just a little more than an air gap.

Then disengage the belt, make sure transmission is in neutral, start engine and run on a low idle, then engage the auger belt tension only..... BEING MINDFUL OF AUGER ROTATING!!!
Look to make sure that the movement of the belt does not hit the fingers, sometimes the belts vibrate and bounce around a little bit and hit the right finger which will wear the belt prematurely. If the belt does touch the finger you need to shut off engine and slightly adjust the gap a little bigger on the right finger. Left finger is usually perfect with an air gap.

When fingers and the belt tension are properly adjusted what should happen is when you disengage the belt tension the belt should become slack on the top engine pulley slightly which allows the motor to turn and the belt does not move and rests against both fingers.

I hope this helps answer your question, it is hard to put into words sometimes something you can show somebody in person so they can see with their own eyes. Good Luck with your project.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower
post #3 of 3 Old 06-18-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 12
Thanks for the reply, and the info. I adjusted the belt fingers as you posted, and it works as it should. Appreciated !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page