LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-20-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Re-powering an Ariens Snowblower

Anyone have any experience and or feedback on a Subaru EX21 or Kohler RH265 engines? I know that they are not winter engines, but I am looking for a decent engine to replace the Briggs & Stratton 9.0 205CC engine that the snowblower originally came with that failed in less than 40 hours. Naturally I have NO interest in another Briggs & Stratton and the only other winter engine I have found is a LCT, but I am not happy that the only way I can find the LCT is with a fixed speed. I really would like to have throttle control.
Any suggestions?
Thanks......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-20-2017, 12:38 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
I've

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 02:55 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-20-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
That is a great deal for that engine and I would like to increase to that engine size to have that extra power, but it seems to require more modifications than I currently have the capabilities of doing.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-20-2017, 02:28 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Gardid, I just saw your original post and you're talking Ariens Compact 20, right? That big block LCT is probably not an option, (But it would be really cool). LCT makes a nice size 208 engine. It's what Ariens uses now, so either the bolt holes will likely line up, or t here may be additional holes already in the tractor to fit easy. Don't know for sure. If you go to lctusa.com, you can look up their footprint and pto dimensions in the "specifications" tab after you search the engine. Could help you rule them out or see if it's an easy swap. I think they have a 223cc LCT on them now. Not listed yet in LCT website or Ariens main website (Ariens currently lists it apparently wrong twice at 208cc and 123cc) Yet it shows for sale around the net as having a 223cc.
Ariens Compact Track 24 inch 223cc Two Stage Snow Blower SnowBlowersAtJacks

For $90 you could slap the little LCT on there if you need a 3/4" crank.
https://www.smallenginesuppliers.com...gines1813.html

I know Kohler USED to have this nice little 7hp 3/4" crank snow ready engine. I actually tried to get one a few years back and it was out of stock everywhere and I gave up. Now I see it's listed everywhere as no longer available. Don't know what happened to it? Looked like a well thought out snow package. Might find one on ebay/state search CL?????
Also, forgot to mention Ariens LCT's have manual throttles on them now (you mentioned only Husq had them). I doubt your looking at $90-$170 for one of the newest generation engines, though.

Last edited by jtclays; 08-20-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #5 of 10 Old 08-21-2017, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you for the info. Yes the 291 would require having the pulley bore enlarged, a keyway cut in and a bigger v-belt. I am not worried about the mounting holes as that is something I can easily do. The LCT 208 must be a very popular engine size as it commands a higher price in most cases than their bigger engines. I budgeted $250 to $300 for an engine and the one you listed sounds like a great buy although I am a bit apprehensive on going smaller in engine size. I am going to keep looking and may just buy that one if I can't find anything else.
Here is the Kohler engine:

I know it is not a snow engine, but the HP is right and it has a throttle control.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-21-2017, 03:30 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
I sw

post #7 of 10 Old 08-25-2017, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I thought about up-sizing the engine, but the pulleys are a big issue. One pulley actually hangs off the end of the shaft. I tried contacting Ariens to see if the pulleys on the larger engine were of the same configuration thinking if they were I can order them as a part. But I find Ariens to be LESS the helpful. It did take me two years of pestering them to finally give me a very limited amount of information about the engines they are now using. I am amazed to think the Ariens and Briggs & Stratton would think that anybody would buy their products again after their total lack of customer support. I certainly will not. Anyway these pulleys seem to be special and impossible to replace with aftermarket.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-25-2017, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
For some reason I am not able to upload the pics of the pulleys.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-05-2017, 10:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
I've been running the 14.5 GT, 291cc LCT snow engine for 4 seasons on my '79 Ariens and it's been flawless even with the full throttle always. Small engine suppliers still lists this 414cc on their website for $170. That's a pretty decent deal, but would likely require some mods to fit. Just FYI.
https://www.smallenginesuppliers.com...gines1816.html
So....I currentlty have a Tecumseh 318cc engine on my Ariens 1128 Pro snowblower.

It's been giving me trouble starting and not been reliable so I'm considering to replace.
I was think about that 414cc engine...which I'm think will direct bolt to the same mounting holes.

I'm pretty certain the 1" shaft is the same as my existing (although I have not taken off the old engine yet)
If that is the case should everything else be fine...or is there anything I have to look out for when replacing with the 414cc engine discussed here.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-05-2017, 10:31 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
They

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page